Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what broadband speed do i need?

Options
  • 16-01-2017 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're in the throes of fitting a calving / surveillance system to our outside farmyard - the installer failed to get it working / uploading to my phone or house tablet. he maintains the upload speed aint good enough to deliver from the farm, and we'll have to change supplier. We're with BT, download speed is around 3.5 mbps, upload only .4 mbps. He wants us to go to 3mobile to increase speed, says people round here are doing well with it, using a sim card /satellite?...I'm not really sure what he's suggesting, but i sure don't want to make things worse.We're too far from the exchange for fibre.
    I'd really appreciate some help on this, ta

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wouldn't be happy with that upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

KoolKid wrote: »
    Wouldn't be happy with that upload.

Hi, too slow?.what about the 3 option, do you have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi, we're in the throes of fitting a calving / surveillance system to our outside farmyard - the installer failed to get it working / uploading to my phone or house tablet. he maintains the upload speed aint good enough to deliver from the farm, and we'll have to change supplier. We're with BT, download speed is around 3.5 mbps, upload only .4 mbps. He wants us to go to 3mobile to increase speed, says people round here are doing well with it, using a sim card /satellite?...I'm not really sure what he's suggesting, but i sure don't want to make things worse.We're too far from the exchange for fibre.
    I'd really appreciate some help on this, ta

I have installed cameras on the same speed as you and I can pick them up. It is not a great speed but it should work for you. I don't get the comment failed to get it working as he should be able to open the ports on the router and connect into the cameras. Has he them working locally on the network?

He's got them working at the farmhouse, if thats what you mean, problem seems to be to upload it from there so's its visibe on phone etc. I'm a bit hacked off with him to tell you the truth.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

He means put a three all you can eat €20 pm pay as you go sim in the camera/camera system
    Download there will be more than four and upload could be double that

It's used in an ip camera like this one

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/221928661838?_mwBanner=1

You could try imagine broadband either,they're fixed wireless but you can port your landline over to them and use the broadband in the home,they work off a min speed of 30mb if you can get them

http://www.imagine.ie

• Advertisement

OverRide wrote: »
    He means put a three all you can eat €20 pm pay as you go sim in the camera/camera system
    Download there will be more than four and upload could be double that

It's used in an ip camera like this one

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/221928661838?_mwBanner=1

You could try imagine broadband either,they're fixed wireless but you can port your landline over to them and use the broadband in the home,they work off a min speed of 30mb if you can get them

http://www.imagine.ie
    thanks for that, will give it a go :)

He's got them working at the farmhouse, if thats what you mean, problem seems to be to upload it from there so's its visibe on phone etc. I'm a bit hacked off with him to tell you the truth.
    Cheers

Ok he is getting them locally.
    Are you recording and uploading in the cloud? as this would be an issue with the upload speed.

if all you want is to view them, there is no reason why you should not pick them up even with 0.4 upload as I set them up for my brother and he picks them up on this upload speed.

Maybe he has not opened the firewall for the ports of the cameras on your router. Also if I remember correctly certain ports are blocked by the broadband provider so this could be the reason why you are not picking them up and blaming the upload speed, even if you open the ports.

If you got your the port number of the camera and type it in to see if the port is opened http://www.canyouseeme.org/ that will rule out the router been the issue.

what broadband provider have you as I remember eircom having issue with certain port numbers so I used 1001, 1002, 1003 etc.

Are you recording and uploading in the cloud? as this would be an issue with the upload speed.

if all you want is to view them, there is no reason why you should not pick them up even with 0.4 upload as I set them up for my brother and he picks them up on this upload speed.

Maybe he has not opened the firewall for the ports of the cameras on your router. Also if I remember correctly certain ports are blocked by the broadband provider so this could be the reason why you are not picking them up and blaming the upload speed, even if you open the ports.

If you got your the port number of the camera and type it in to see if the port is opened http://www.canyouseeme.org/ that will rule out the router been the issue.

what broadband provider have you as I remember eircom having issue with certain port numbers so I used 1001, 1002, 1003 etc.

Hi thanks for all that, not using the cloud, we just want to view, we,re using ifat, which i believe is piggybacking bt.

Hi thanks for all that, not using the cloud, we just want to view, we,re using ifat, which i believe is piggybacking bt.

Ok I suggest you find the port number your cameras are using and put it into the URL to see if they are open. If the ports are not opened you cannot connect to the cameras. It has nothing to do with the upload speed.

I would also ring IFA broadband support and ask are these ports blocked, if the message comes back to say that these ports are closed.

Now if the ports are opened then maybe the upload speed is the issue. He should be able to get the log in screen of the camera at least rather than the video feed at 0.4mb

What kind of cameras have you?

Ok I suggest you find the port number your cameras are using and put it into the URL to see if they are open. If the ports are not opened you cannot connect to the cameras. It has nothing to do with the upload speed.

I would also ring IFA broadband support and ask are these ports blocked, if the message comes back to say that these ports are closed.

Now if the ports are opened then maybe the upload speed is the issue. He should be able to get the log in screen of the camera at least rather than the video feed at 0.4mb

What kind of cameras have you?
    Hi, thanks for your time on this, stoopid, but..how do i figure out the port number? not sure of the camera he's using, they're waaay up, he's using software? called Dalhua.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for your time on this, stoopid, but..how do i figure out the port number? not sure of the camera he's using, they're waaay up, he's using software? called Dalhua.

Is there an app on your tablet/phone when you access the cameras locally? if you edit the settings of a camera you should see the port number. It may have an textbox saying port number or it could be part of the address like audioslaven.no-ip.org:101

So in the address above the port is 101, you will know if you see a colon ":" followed by a number

thanks for bearing with me...under snmp, theres a box giving snmp port 161, trap port 162.
    under upnp gives a pile of different port numbers for internal port, external port, http, tcp. udp, rtsp...i think im outta my depth..
    I tacked .161 to the ip address, search, shows 'could not find document' - is that what you suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Make sure it's a : and not a .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Most likely the .4 is patchy why bother with that if you can't get HDSPA and LTE for not alot of money with speeds up to 70mb.

Op id go with network mast if there is a good one locally you can check Comreg site for Mast locations they will tell you what each mast has and which company offers the best look for LTE which is 4g

thanks for bearing with me...under snmp, theres a box giving snmp port 161, trap port 162.
    under upnp gives a pile of different port numbers for internal port, external port, http, tcp. udp, rtsp...i think im outta my depth..
    I tacked .161 to the ip address, search, shows 'could not find document' - is that what you suggested?

Try the external port as this is probably the port that needs to be opened. just put in the number on the url.
    Whats app you are using?

Try the external port as this is probably the port that needs to be opened. just put in the number on the url.
    Whats app you are using?
    Hi, thanks for your help, spoke to a computer-savvy buddy yesterday, hes adamant .4 mbps is too slow, suggested a vodafone dongle which should do the job - getting it tomorrow dv, will let ya know how it goes

listermint wrote: »
    Most likely the .4 is patchy why bother with that if you can't get HDSPA and LTE for not alot of money with speeds up to 70mb.

Op id go with network mast if there is a good one locally you can check Comreg site for Mast locations they will tell you what each mast has and which company offers the best look for LTE which is 4g
    Just did that, mast nearby, never knew it was possible to suss what operator used it - its got 3, meteor and vodafone. I'll chance vodafone, they've got a helpful shop nearby.

Hi, thanks for your help, spoke to a computer-savvy buddy yesterday, hes adamant .4 mbps is too slow, suggested a vodafone dongle which should do the job - getting it tomorrow dv, will let ya know how it goes

Thats fine, test it and see but I know it works for my bro as I set it up and he gets just under 4 megs download and 0.4 upload.

Granted.... he is using the H.264 video compressed version to download the stream from the cameras

Also, once you use the mobile broadband (for three anyway), you need to ring them to get set up with an external ip address in order to access your cameras, by default you don't get one. I am not sure on vodafone but just keep that in mind in case you run into issues accessing the camera

Let us know how you get on

Thats fine, test it and see but I know it works for my bro as I set it up and he gets just under 4 megs download and 0.4 upload.

Granted.... he is using the H.264 video compressed version to download the stream from the cameras

Also, once you use the mobile broadband (for three anyway), you need to ring them to get set up with an external ip address in order to access your cameras, by default you don't get one. I am not sure on vodafone but just keep that in mind in case you run into issues accessing the camera

Let us know how you get on
    Weeeell, it aint easy...drove to the vodafone shop yesterday evening, explained my story, the nice man advised that as i dont have wireless enabled thingy in the pc - i checked this - vodafone don't supply a 'plug-in' dongle, just thje wireless ones...fffs...is there anything straightforward...? he advised 3 or meteor might do it.
    Audioslave your brother is only getting .4 mbps upload speed from a similar setup? - thats no better than my current speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

.4mbps wouldn't allow for any sort of meaningful upload

• Advertisement

Weeeell, it aint easy...drove to the vodafone shop yesterday evening, explained my story, the nice man advised that as i dont have wireless enabled thingy in the pc - i checked this - vodafone don't supply a 'plug-in' dongle, just thje wireless ones...fffs...is there anything straightforward...? he advised 3 or meteor might do it.
    Audioslave your brother is only getting .4 mbps upload speed from a similar setup? - thats no better than my current speed...

Just had a word with ANOTHER helpful man, this time in the 3 shop, suggests i get a 3 modem, €65, sim card, and approx €25/ month for i think 7gigs. likely upload speed(we're 1 mile from the 3 mast) should be 4 - 5 mbps. Is this a runner do you think?
    Just thinking, maybe vodafone do this option also, and the guy neglected to mention it..jesus...
    Cheers.

Yes he only gets around 0.4mbps and he can pick them up. He views one camera at a time, not a few at once. I used Hikvision ip cameras and use the H.264 video compression so this helps over that speed

I have set up the same set up for a friend with the 3 mobile dongle using an 3/4g router. The cameras feed is more consistent alright but both work

This is the router I used for the mobile broadband https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-MR3420-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1485466551&sr=1-5&keywords=4g+router

and picked up a second hand dongle like this http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-broadband/huawei-e3531i-2-3g-hi-link-dongle/11817571

TBH - where is your installer in all this?? He should know alot of this and should provide you with a solution.

Yes he only gets around 0.4mbps and he can pick them up. He views one camera at a time, not a few at once. I used Hikvision ip cameras and use the H.264 video compression so this helps over that speed

I have set up the same set up for a friend with the 3 mobile dongle using an 3/4g router. The cameras feed is more consistent alright but both work

This is the router I used for the mobile broadband https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-MR3420-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1485466551&sr=1-5&keywords=4g+router

and picked up a second hand dongle like this http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-broadband/huawei-e3531i-2-3g-hi-link-dongle/11817571

TBH - where is your installer in all this?? He should know alot of this and should provide you with a solution.
    Hi, thanks for that, picked up a 3 modem over the weekend, must set it up, hopefully will suffice, will let you know.

Hi, thanks for that, picked up a 3 modem over the weekend, must set it up, hopefully will suffice, will let you know.

Ya lets us know. I am interested to see how you work out. if you were around south Mayo I would take a peep for you. Please remember 3 have two types of broadband so you need to let them know that you want an external ip address to access your cameras.

You need to set up a dynamic dns as well as the ip address changes. I use free http://www.noip.com/ but maybe your cameras have a dynamic dns built in or your installed set this up.

Ya lets us know. I am interested to see how you work out. if you were around south Mayo I would take a peep for you. Please remember 3 have two types of broadband so you need to let them know that you want an external ip address to access your cameras.

You need to set up a dynamic dns as well as the ip address changes. I use free http://www.noip.com/ but maybe your cameras have a dynamic dns built in or your installed set this up.

Hiya, the dude called today, 20 mins later all sorted with the 3 router, getting aporox 12 meg download, 4 meg upload...sweet enough...thsnks for your help audioslave.

Hiya, the dude called today, 20 mins later all sorted with the 3 router, getting aporox 12 meg download, 4 meg upload...sweet enough...thsnks for your help audioslave.

I dont believe it...went to the wretched pc today, no internet, rang 3...oh thatll be your old pc sir, cant handle the new modems....ffs, there,s no winning...

I dont believe it...went to the wretched pc today, no internet, rang 3...oh thatll be your old pc sir, cant handle the new modems....ffs, there,s no winning...

Not good!!! if you had any luck at all even bad luck but you have no luck!!!
    sounds a load of rubbish from 3 as it would appear you had it working.

Try a good old reboot of the router, also maybe you could have a bad mobile reception in house so move it to a window.

I take it you were able to pick the cameras up from a mobile device outside of your network

Not good!!! if you had any luck at all even bad luck but you have no luck!!!
    sounds a load of rubbish from 3 as it would appear you had it working.

Try a good old reboot of the router, also maybe you could have a bad mobile reception in house so move it to a window.

I take it you were able to pick the cameras up from a mobile device outside of your network

Heh, thsnks for the confidence, rang my guru yesterday, turns out the 3 wsnkah hadnt a clue, jiggled s few settings, all good tg...and the cameras wotk pretty consistent too.
    The end 🕯🕯
    Cheers sudioslave

Heh, thsnks for the confidence, rang my guru yesterday, turns out the 3 wsnkah hadnt a clue, jiggled s few settings, all good tg...and the cameras wotk pretty consistent too.
    The end 🕯🕯
    Cheers sudioslave

Np Oldsmokey. Glad you got sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Hey oldsmokey, Just wondering what package\equipment\etc you ended up getting with 3 ?

Trying to set up same for future brother in law, and I've hit a wall cause Vodafone don't allow you to open up a port on dongle to outside world only forward to static IP, and have to have a Corporate account to get static IP.

Advertisement