Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing out an apartment

Options
  • 16-01-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭

I've just sold an apartment belonging to a deceased relative. I want to keep some of the stuff that's in the apartment, but most of it will not be needed. Some of the furniture we don't need may have some second hand value, but I'm not sure how to assess this.

Are there companies/people out there who will buy second hand furniture when an apartment is being cleared or should I just hire a removals firm to take it all away? I've tried googling it, but haven't come across anything very helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi Abff,

When I bought my place, the previous owner left all the furniture despite me asking for it to be cleared out. Anyhow, I decided that it was just easier to get rid of it myself.

IMO you've three3 main options
    -Adverts/Done Deal free listings.
    -Churches/Charity groups
    -Hire a skip

However, everything depends on the quality and condition of the stuff you want to get rid of. If its perfectly good, then you should have no issue, however if its old tat you might need to pay someone to take it away.

I ended up getting a number of a lady who apparently spends her own time getting furniture for homeless/low income families moving into unfurnished accommodation. Now, I never checked the veracity of this story, because I was just happy to have the stuff taken away but she did seem genuine for what its worth. I deal with her by text and she then arrived wtih a man with a van and took (over 2 trips) 3xbeds and mattresses and various smaller items like tables and mirrors etc. PM me if you'd like her details.

The main thing is that the stuff has to be decent so be honest with yourself in your judgement. If you ring a charity and they arrive and the stuff is tatty then they may refuse to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Put an ad on jumbletown.ie or adverts.ie ,
    free furniture ,tables ,chairs etc it,ll save you getting a skip.
    get a skip bag for anything thats left ,cost 150 euro .
    cheaper than a metal skip , its heavy duty plastic ,that can be carried and opened up and filled and its collected like a metal skip by a truck.
    Large builders providers sell these ,or google skips ie cost 50 euro in the shop,
    then you pay 100 euro with credit card to get it collected .theres
    a company name /phone no on the bag.If Furniture is in very good condition
    vincent de paul might take it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- it doesn't matter whether you think there is some value in the furniture or not- there is no market for second hand furniture. Your best bet is to setup a Freecycle account and try to get people to come and take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Honestly- it doesn't matter whether you think there is some value in the furniture or not- there is no market for second hand furniture. Your best bet is to setup a Freecycle account and try to get people to come and take it.

That is not entirely accurate tbf. There is a market for second hand furniture but it his Highly dependent on the furniture (highly)

There is not no outright market, that would be untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

We cleared my mother's house to an auction house in Bray. Cost as much to dispose of the mattresses and get the rest transported to the auction as we got for the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,901 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of the substantial number of random bits of furniture - some absolute crap if I'm honest - that I've had to shift in the past 4 years, I ended up giving one item away, breaking one up for the skip and getting nominal sums for the rest.

I suspect living in a town full of low grade rentals helps - landlords looking for dirt cheap replacement kit. Kitchen table, random sideboards (including one butchered to allow a CRT TV fit in it!), wooden TV stands from the 1990s, armchairs, etc.

At the very least you can get most stuff taken away for free by someone who wants it and save on skip costs.

Also helped an aunt clear her house as she was downsizing to an ex-rental that was fully furnished - we were almost horrified by how quick the phone lit up for some items, particularly some used but relatively new mattresses!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP google 'freecycle'........

Advertisement