Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jap import

• 16-01-2017 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I baught car this Saturday prior that i rang my insurance company on friday and told them that they better transfer my insurance to this car because i think im defenatley going to buy it. Anyway.. they asked me all the usual stuff and about jap import and i said no because guy who i baught it off didnt mention it to me. Well all the writing in car is in japanese. Witch obviously mean its an import. Sunday i didnt drive just in case today i had to nip to shop to get formula for my baby thank god everything went well i rang my insurance at 9 am but they are too busy to take my call and told me they will ring me back. My questiion is am i still not covered if anything happens ? Since obviously i stated it was not jap import. And will it affect peice of my insurance ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Lvstar wrote: »
    I baught car this Saturday prior that i rang my insurance company on friday and told them that they better transfer my insurance to this car because i think im defenatley going to buy it. Anyway.. they asked me all the usual stuff and about jap import and i said no because guy who i baught it off didnt mention it to me. Well all the writing in car is in japanese. Witch obviously mean its an import. Sunday i didnt drive just in case today i had to nip to shop to get formula for my baby thank god everything went well i rang my insurance at 9 am but they are too busy to take my call and told me they will ring me back. My questiion is am i still not covered if anything happens ? Since obviously i stated it was not jap import. And will it affect peice of my insurance ?

So you drove the new car without insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lvstar

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Lvstar wrote: »

So you drove the new car without insurance?
    prehaps you didnt eead my post correctly. My question was am i still covered since details are changed to new vehicle only difference is that its jap import witch i did not know. Im paying my insurance as usual since i paid difference there and then that would have been spread out on my monthly payments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I could be very wrong here LV, but if you don't declare such a thing then you're not covered. If god forbid anything was to happen, the insurance company would cite your non disclosure and would almost certainly not pay out and you could be in trouble.

I'd ring them with utmost haste to inform them. Going by other folks' experience they'll at best add extra to the premium(next renewal) at worst they might refuse it. Amazing how Japanese writing on a car affects so much. :rolleyes: Doubly so as the tax office got their twist when it came into the country and on a continuing basis and the NCT got their twist declaring it road worthy. Of course all Japanese cars are imports...

Are you sure it's definitely an Import? What model car is it? Does it have a square or long rectangular rear number plate? If square that's an import. If it is, then I would get back onto the buyer, but if it was a private sale you're probably on a hiding to nothing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I could be very wrong here LV, but if you don't declare such a thing then you're not covered. If god forbid anything was to happen, the insurance company would cite your non disclosure and would almost certainly not pay out and you could be in trouble.

I'd ring them with utmost haste to inform them. Going by other folks' experience they'll at best add extra to the premium(next renewal) at worst they might refuse it. Amazing how Japanese writing on a car affects so much. :rolleyes: Doubly so as the tax office got their twist when it came into the country and on a continuing basis and the NCT got their twist declaring it road worthy. Of course all Japanese cars are imports...

Are you sure it's definitely an Import? What model car is it? Does it have a square or long rectangular rear number plate? If square that's an import. If it is, then I would get back onto the buyer, but if it was a private sale you're probably on a hiding to nothing.

Thank you for your reply most defenatley cleared few things up it is defenatley jap import as numberplates are rectangular its a very rare car and as far as i know only few in country . I have taste in cars that certanly is not conventional. However found it odd that i rang insurance company that is say is the biggest in ireland and they tell me they will ring me back because they are too busy. Witch basicly means now im stranded in middle of nowhere untill this is sorted.
    You see it stood out to me when i rang them in first place before buying my much loved car. They couldnt find it on system ling story short i had to pay premium there and then and couldnt add towards my direct debits will certanly update this thread in case anyone is stick in same position

So i wasnt gonna wait no longer and rang again to insurance crowd. I am covered either way . But i told to note that on file it didnt change any exess or anything. Very odd but hey ho im happy i didnt have to pay extra. Off i go enjoy my new car with the baby ! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement