Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mx5 insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Trying to get classic insurance on a '92 Mx5, it is originally a Jap import.
    The insures so far do not like this, even one said they just do not take Mx5's full stop (Carole Nash).

Axa - Have to be already insured with axa to be quoted.

Campion - No Jap imports please.

Carole Nash - No mx5's please. Informed me that they do not cover ANY Japanese (either JDM or for Irish market) cars. Is anyone here a customer of theirs and can confirm this?

Any other classic insurers to try? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭motorfan

Update:

First Ireland - Mx5's are listed 'high risk classics' that are not covered. When questioned why, they said they could maybe cover me if I was over 30.

Anyone else I have over looked?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Simply Insure? I'm talking with them at the moment and it's looking good. Well when I say good they knocked damn near a thousand euros off my own long standing brokers quote(it's still gonna sting to pay mind you). They were very helpful I have to say and I gathered they're up to their tonsils at the moment so fair play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Simply Insure? I'm talking with them at the moment and it's looking good. Well when I say good they knocked damn near a thousand euros off my own long standing brokers quote(it's still gonna sting to pay mind you). They were very helpful I have to say and I gathered they're up to their tonsils at the moment so fair play.

Thanks a lot for the reply Wibbs!

I will give them a bell tomorrow and see. Hopefully I can get get somewhere.
    Insurance is gone insane here.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Did you get anywhere with this, motorfan? I'm in the same position as you, albeit looking at a newer non-import mx5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Autoline in Newry will cover them as a classic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Ur age
    Car year
    Have u daily driver car
    How many yrs no claim bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Wibbs wrote: »

Just goes to show the old rule of 'shop around' does still work.

oknepop wrote: »
    Did you get anywhere with this, motorfan? I'm in the same position as you, albeit looking at a newer non-import mx5.

Will update you when I get somewhere, I am not sure about the newer one though, what age is the one you are looking at? They might have to go through mainstream insurance. Good luck with yours! Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

motorfan wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Trying to get classic insurance on a '92 Mx5, it is originally a Jap import.
    The insures so far do not like this, even one said they just do not take Mx5's full stop (Carole Nash).

Axa - Have to be already insured with axa to be quoted. (As it doesn't meet criteria for car acceptance Axa can't quote but if you had acceptable car,of age , for concours policy then your daily drive car, with minimum 3yr bonus does not need to be with Axa )

Campion - No Jap imports please.

Carole Nash - No mx5's please. Informed me that they do not cover ANY Japanese (either JDM or for Irish market) cars. Is anyone here a customer of theirs and can confirm this?

Any other classic insurers to try? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks guys!

See axa note above

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Constant Curiosity

we get this question way too often on mx5 ireland buy/sell (FB), i had a mk1 1990 insured and 93 vspec for 3 years or so, and had no problems with C Nash, then they decided to change their policy 2 years ago, we spoke briefly why jap etc, there is no logic in their waffle, it is simply no unless you have an ongoing policy and tell them you have the car a long time (before you signed current policy)

• Advertisement
Advertisement