Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom bypass and Cork coco incompetence.

Options
  • 16-01-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Find this a bit funny really.
    Kerry CoCo push the bypass agenda and Cork CoCo get all offended at not being invited,Maybe if they themselves had made more effort in highlighting this and other projects they may not need other county councils to do so.

http://www.killarneytoday.com/kerrys-solo-run-causes-tension/

Cork is being badly neglected infrastructure wise city and county,These elected officials really need to start making waves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Kerry CoCo push the bypass agenda and Cork CoCo get all offended at not being invited,Maybe if they themselves had made more effort in highlighting this and other projects they may not need other county councils to do so.

Cork is being badly neglected infrastructure wise city and county,These elected officials really need to start making waves.

There are 2 main reasons Kerry CoCo are pushing this.
    1) The feel they have a good contractor who can build a good road ;)
    2) They want to be home from the new P Ui C in time to see The Sunday Game without having to stop at the Auld Triangle or The Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I could rant on this but tbh I don't have the time today

I've always pondered - if they put this out to tender and stated that it was to be a tolled road, would it have been built much quicker? I imagine it would - a road that pays for itself over time - no brainer, and most people who commute would have no problem whatsoever paying a toll to skip out on Macroom & Ballyvourney traffic, I know I wouldn't

I don't think Cork has been neglected - the city is in the middle of a resurgence, that said - OP is correct - elected officials need to push harder for better infrastructure to Irelands 2nd city - the Cork Limerick road being a complete joke for so long is a sign that not enough effort is being put in to get it done. I could be wrong on that, but I was cursing Buttevant in 2009 & it's in the same state 8 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP can i ask please, would this be better off in the County Cork and indeed Roads forums ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

kub wrote: »
    OP can i ask please, would this be better off in the County Cork and indeed Roads forums ?

Would rather it here,effects the city,But if a mod moves it,no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

CB19Kevo wrote: »

"Joining Mayor on the delegation were... Johnny Healy-Rae

Cork County Council had been waiting to take part in a joint delegation to strengthen the case for the early commencement of the bypass."

Says it all OP. Never underestimate the willingness of Councils to pull a fast one on each other! Or cute hoor politics In that neck of the woods.

Now if only there was a local civils contractor that could be on hand to turn a sod in double jig time... Someone quick to publicly condemn Irish Water, but quicker to take the shilling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

CB19Kevo wrote:
    Would rather it here,effects the city,But if a mod moves it,no problem

Sorry CB19Kevo, I did not mean to come across like that, you are indeed correct that bypass will indeed have as much an effect on Cork City as people in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Isn't the reason there hasn't been a macroom by pass that locals didn't want it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

goochy wrote: »
    Isn't the reason there hasn't been a macroom by pass that locals didn't want it ?

I'd say it's more to do with funding. But yes locals in Macroom were saying the town will suffer. Sure who stops there anyway. Apart from being stuck in traffic of course. Didn't someone get knocked down by a truck there a few years ago?

Long overdue bypass. Hate having to drive that road everytime I go back home to Kerry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's a detailed thread on the scheme in the Roads forum in case anyone wants a look.

This is more important for Kerry than Cork (the two most important projects for Kerry are the Macroom BP and the Adare BP), hence why Kerry CoCo are so eager as they aren't directly involved but still want to see it off the ground. Locals will know the standard of the N22 once you get into Kerry is very high, although there's a future planned outer bypass for Killarney in the pipeline too pending funding.

Once this is built it'll be relatively straightforward to commute from Killarney to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

shag em, let them come up with actual ways to attract customers rather than benefiting from a traffic backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

shag em, let them come up with actual ways to attract customers rather than benefiting from a traffic backlog.
    I remember similar rumblings from some locals in Ballincollig, now look at the place.
    The bypass would allow those who do not want to stop in the town to go around it, and those that actually want to conduct business to do so in a more appealing way.
    Macroom is a large town that should be able to benefit from having a bypass and actual be pleasant to visit/go-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

D'Agger wrote: »
    I could rant on this but tbh I don't have the time today

I've always pondered - if they put this out to tender and stated that it was to be a tolled road, would it have been built much quicker? I imagine it would - a road that pays for itself over time - no brainer, and most people who commute would have no problem whatsoever paying a toll to skip out on Macroom & Ballyvourney traffic, I know I wouldn't

I don't think Cork has been neglected - the city is in the middle of a resurgence, that said - OP is correct - elected officials need to push harder for better infrastructure to Irelands 2nd city - the Cork Limerick road being a complete joke for so long is a sign that not enough effort is being put in to get it done. I could be wrong on that, but I was cursing Buttevant in 2009 & it's in the same state 8 years later.

€10 a man for the Kerry Feckers €15 a man for the Jackeens and free coffee for the locals. Nothing else would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Just anecdotal but I drove from West Cork to Donegal recently going towards dublin on the way up and through the centre on the way back. Of all the busier roads I travelled the N71 seemed to be the worst in terms of surface, overtaking lanes etc. I was surprised at how good most of the roads were especially in Donegal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

They went to great lengths to block it - High court for the protection of an endangered slug I believe. Farcical how long it held this up, although best to get the thing right rather than build a road that's a disaster down the line.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to do with funding. But yes locals in Macroom were saying the town will suffer. Sure who stops there anyway.

Long overdue bypass. Hate having to drive that road everytime I go back home to Kerry.

This ^ funding dried up, however I was told by an engineer friend about two years ago that there were two road projects in all of Ireland that were 'shovel ready' i.e. everything was planned, they were good to go, all that's needed was the word to do so. I'm assuming the slug thing and funding stopped it til now.

Agreed on the commute down home - I tend to travel later into the night to try and ensure I get a quiet road & not stuck in Macroom although, Macroom hasn't been as bad in recent years I think, definitely felt worse in college but I was probably dying half those trips :pac:
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just anecdotal but I drove from West Cork to Donegal recently going towards dublin on the way up and through the centre on the way back. Of all the busier roads I travelled the N71 seemed to be the worst in terms of surface, overtaking lanes etc. I was surprised at how good most of the roads were especially in Donegal itself.

The overtaking point is the biggest issue here. This isn't a complaint moreso an observation but tourist traffic from Cork to Killarney is huge, rightly - not knowing the road, these commuters tend to slow right down. That would be fine, if it wasn't a case of, once you get off the Ballincollig bypass, there are roughly two places to overtake before you come out the other side of Ballyvourney and even at that, traffic is also heavy going the other way so it leads to a frustrating drive. A two lane bypass would massively help with the congestion here.

As another poster noted, once the bypass opens up, Killarney to Cork should be a very simple commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Yup.... a very vocal minority.
    Claiming that it will kill business in the town, but if ballincollig is anything to go by, reduced traffic can only improve business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

They went to great lengths to block it - High court for the protection of an endangered slug I believe.

"The Kerry Snail" is the problem. Probably invaded due to the roads paved with gold west of the border

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sunshine sunshine

absolutely shows up the incompetence of Cork CoCo. They seem to want to take the credit for Kerry Co Cos push for Macroom Bypass which is so badly needed even if some local business people don't care enough for the majority and instead want to deepen their pockets without regard for the people who live in the town ( and the side of a motorway), has anyone seen the new pole on the road side of the townhall where the fish stall stands, this pole stands in the middle of the already narrow footpath and its supposed to make a stand for a 'motorway camera' the ones that can read number plates, all the work done in the wrong places like the bridge which resembles a flyover bridge, i'd like to know if there are statistics regarding how much traffic (cars, trucks, lorries) pass through the town daily / weekly and who in the health and safety department is answerable to problems that arise from a town divided by a motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

When is completion date?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

When is completion date?
    At present it looks like 2019 start 2022 finish.

Advertisement