Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offer withdrawn due to sick leave???

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi! I had a very difficult time in work - off on leave for two months with bullying. Now new employer has withdrawn job offer as old employer sent him my sick leave with reference. I sent a letter from my old employer asking me not to leave and stating that he hoped I would reconsider my decision. Any advice would be really welcome??

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

You might get better advice over in Work & Jobs so I've moved it over there now. You can still post anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Redrose2 wrote: »
    Now new employer has withdrawn job offer as old employer sent him my sick leave with reference.
    Get a reference from someone else? If you were on sick leave, and your ex-employer said that you were on sick leave, I don't think there's much you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

If the amount and frequency of sick leave you took at your most recent employment was unusual for you, show this through other references, and explain that it was due to extenuating circumstances (if it was). Did you flag the leave with the prospective employer before they checked references? If they weren't aware of it, I imagine they would have been unimpressed at finding out that way. From their perspective it could look like you have a pattern of taking a lot of sick leave, and I could see why they wouldn't want to take you on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

the_syco wrote:
    Get a reference from someone else? If you were on sick leave, and your ex-employer said that you were on sick leave, I don't think there's much you can do?

More discrimination again, an employer isn't meant to give a negative reference.

I'd go to a solicitor as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

More discrimination again, an employer isn't meant to give a negative reference.

What discrimination? Are you reading the same thread I am? How can factual information about absences from work be classed as discrimination.

Even if the old employer had said the OP was a thief, as long as it can be verified and proved, no amount of solicitors is going to change that or help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They can give a negative reference, they just need to be very careful that they can back it up. I wouldn't say they gave a negative one in this instance, merely stated facts about the sick leave. Which would be very easy for them to back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have had references in the past,
    An employer must tell the truth of the benefit and otherwise of a prospective employee, this is what references are for,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Discrimination on which of the nine grounds?

Employers must give a truthful reference and would be best advised to be able to back up any negative opinions with evidence. Days absent from work is very easy to confirm.

Incidentally, I got a recent request from the HSE to provide a reference for a former employee who put me down as a reference provider, there was a question about days absent from work in previous 6 months excluding annual leave so it is perfectly legit for a prospective employer to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Is that not a data breach? Privacy breach?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Check out the legislation on bullying in the workplace. An employer has a vicarious liability of care to an employee in the case of bullying. In other words, an employer is responsible if their employee is being bullied.

If the employer was aware that your sick leave was directly as a result of bullying in their workplace, and if they sent you a letter asking you to stay, my PERSONAL impression would be that the inclusion of details of sick-leave was another form of bullying to try and get you to stay.

The area is complex - bullying can be used as a basis for constructive dismissal. So you should seek legal advice from an experienced employment legal practice.

But there is some good information here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

• Advertisement

Bicycle wrote: »
    Check out the legislation on bullying in the workplace. An employer has a vicarious liability of care to an employee in the case of bullying. In other words, an employer is responsible if their employee is being bullied.

If the employer was aware that your sick leave was directly as a result of bullying in their workplace, and if they sent you a letter asking you to stay, my PERSONAL impression would be that the inclusion of details of sick-leave was another form of bullying to try and get you to stay.

The area is complex - bullying can be used as a basis for constructive dismissal. So you should seek legal advice from an experienced employment legal practice.

But there is some good information here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

I agree with everything you said, right up until you said that confirming absence was a form of bullying. Assuming that the amount of absent days is correct and the reference is truthful, how can the truth be a form of bullying?

Op, in relation to the question of data protection, I assume your employer did not pass on details of your illness, only the number of days you were absent from work?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Taking the OP's version of events to be correct this was very bad form on the employer's part. I have been in companies where management were difficult to work with but none resorted to this. I saw a case where a colleague (that was really needed) was out for a couple of months due to stress and got a job just after they returned. This company would have done what suited themselves in most instances but even then there was no effort or attempt to scupper the new job by listing absence due in this case to stress. If the absence was due to bullying (which the employer obviously didn't control) then the actions of the employer are even more despicable.

It would be great to name and shame the employer here but I know that's not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I would honestly not employ the op based on the sick leave. The impression being given is that they are hiring a problem employee. That's why they didn't hire you. Might be time to be creative with your cv or have a chat with your old boss. New job will see through the lines and think you might be taking them to court for bullying

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The new employer might have asked how many sick days the op had

What discrimination? Are you reading the same thread I am? How can factual information about absences from work be classed as discrimination.

Even if the old employer had said the OP was a thief, as long as it can be verified and proved, no amount of solicitors is going to change that or help

That's what you new age employees are indoctrinated with.

There's a lot of employment legislation being broken here in this country since the early 00's

I see a lot of Post's here about people being ridden blindly by employers without the decency of a reach around.

If you happen to check into the labor court you'll see employees getting rewards left right and centre.

Bullying is much easier to prove than disprove.

The onus is on the bully to prove they're not bullying.

davo10 wrote:
    Incidentally, I got a recent request from the HSE to provide a reference for a former employee who put me down as a reference provider, there was a question about days absent from work in previous 6 months excluding annual leave so it is perfectly legit for a prospective employer to ask.

The HSE will be delighted to tell you the benefits of sick pay compared to the private sector.

Then you'll be secure for the rest of your working life.

Lucky you getting a Job with the HSE.

Nice one davo ;)

The HSE will be delighted to tell you the benefits of sick pay compared to the private sector.

Then you'll be secure for the rest of your working life.

Lucky you getting a Job with the HSE.

Nice one davo ;)

You'll have to go back and read the post again, I'm an employer, I received a request for a reference for a former (excellent) employee from the HSE, in other words, the HSE were hiring her. One of the questions on the reference form related to days absent from work excluding holiday leave in the previous six months. i.e, the public service request details of absences when looking for references so how could this be considered discrimination?

I would imagine it is very difficult to get a good reference from an employer who you have accused of bullying. By giving you a good reference they are confirming you are a good employee which makes it very difficult for them to defend the accusation by saying there were issues with your work/behaviour. I suspect in a lot of cases there is some leeway to negotiate a good reference in return for leaving quietly. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but it can be the practical thing to do. A lot of prospective employers make a discreet phone call to previous employers and can draw their own conclusions to the tone, brevity of answers to pertinent questions. The simplest being "would you employ her/him again?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I would honestly not employ the op based on the sick leave. The impression being given is that they are hiring a problem employee. That's why they didn't hire you. Might be time to be creative with your cv or have a chat with your old boss. New job will see through the lines and think you might be taking them to court for bullying

Probably bad news alright.

OP - I'd recommend applying to the Public Sector. They may not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is so wrong
    As long as it can be substantiated in the case of a complaint it's ok to include on a reference, this has stopped many employers from being truthful but not discrimination nor illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

That's what you new age employees are indoctrinated with.

There's a lot of employment legislation being broken here in this country since the early 00's

I see a lot of Post's here about people being ridden blindly by employers without the decency of a reach around.

If you happen to check into the labor court you'll see employees getting rewards left right and centre.

Bullying is much easier to prove than disprove.

The onus is on the bully to prove they're not bullying.

To be honest the bullying employee probably did not even see the reference request.

I work with a large MNC and reference requests are processed by HR. The reference is always a simple form letter indicating time worked, date A to Date be in role C, absences, disciplinary status and termination, voluntary or involuntary may be specified if requested by the person seeking the reference. The managers are not consulted and are precluded from offering personal references, because Irish people are second only to the USA in bringing employers to court.

So no more nice references, even for star employees. :(

• Advertisement

Bullsheesh. An employer can't give a false reference. But as the OP was sick, thus it wasn't false.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

the_syco wrote: »
    Bullsheesh. An employer can't give a false reference. But as the OP was sick, thus it wasn't false.

Sick due to bullying, which is an entirely different matter.

Alleged bullying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gingergemima

Redrose2 wrote: »
    Hi! I had a very difficult time in work - off on leave for two months with bullying. Now new employer has withdrawn job offer as old employer sent him my sick leave with reference. I sent a letter from my old employer asking me not to leave and stating that he hoped I would reconsider my decision. Any advice would be really welcome??

No way should your sick leave have been disclosed....Total breach of your privacy....Go to a solicitor immediately.

No way should your sick leave have been disclosed....Total breach of your privacy....Go to a solicitor immediately.

Rubbish, attendance is a standard question.
    Solicitor is always a very last resort. If you are known or have details published relating to a legal case against an employer you will find it very difficult to get future employment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

four questions:
    what dates did they work there- to check against CV
    why did they leave/are leaving- does the reason match what they told you in interview
    would you hire them again- simple yes or no will do.
    any attendance/disciplinary issues- factual and and be proven.
    Thanks.
    this is not discrimination, its not bullying, its your manager being honest BUT they are bieng an asshole sending out company data from your doctor is a breach of Data protection as it was a note written from your GP with your permission to your employer, shouldnt have been done, however it was very misguided of you to put your current employer down as a reference if you are out on sick leave. next time you will know better.
    explain if they ask you for reference that you are leaving due to an issue and would like to give your last two employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I just love the way in Ireland that people think certified sick leave is some sort of untouchable protection against everything possible.

Certified sick leave is an absence that has been explained by a gp. It is still absence from your job which has a knock on effect on the employer, for some employers the effect is small but for many all absence is a big deal.

Absence from work diminishes your contribution to the job, lack of contribution is a performance management issue and as such can bring negative consequences and disciplinary action. Ongoing absence through illness can result in termination as you are unfit to complete the work for which you were hired to do - there is no obligation on the employer to facilitate you with alternative work (although that would be best practice if it's possible)

There is no legal bar on reporting absence numbers on a reference as in "paddy was absent for 15 days, 10 certified in the last 12 months" this is factual information which can be verified and is relavent to a reference request. What cannot be reported is why the certified absence occurred the specifics of the illness is private information.

If the employer gives false reason for them being sick, sure, but if employer say that they worked from X to Y, but sick for the past two months and said nothing more, the employer didn't do anything wrong.
    BUT they are bieng an asshole sending out company data from your doctor is a breach of Data protection as it was a note written from your GP with your permission to your employer, shouldnt have been done
    Depends on what info the employer gave. If the new employer asked the current employer were they still working there, the current employer could say that they were on sick leave for the past two months. Without any further information, the current employer has done nothing wrong. If the person is still on sick leave, they may not be able to resume work within a short timeframe.

=-=

TBH, the OP should have used a reference from someone that they got on with. Using the boss as a reference for a new job whilst being on sick leave would leave a bad taste in the current employers mouth, as the OP is essentially saying that they're okay to work, just not with the current employer. A very bad taste if the OP is receiving any money from the company whilst they're on sick leave, as the current employer may think he's being treated as the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

the_syco wrote: »
    Depends on what info the employer gave. If the new employer asked the current employer were they still working there, the current employer could say that they were on sick leave for the past two months. Without any further information, the current employer has done nothing wrong. If the person is still on sick leave, they may not be able to resume work within a short timeframe.

OP said they sent her sick leave details with the reference, itsone thing saying has been out x amount of days and sending (from my reading of it anyway).. certs the doctor has supplied along with the reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OP said they sent her sick leave details with the reference, itsone thing saying has been out x amount of days and sending (from my reading of it anyway).. certs the doctor has supplied along with the reference
    Considering the OP hasn't responded, I think it would a bit much to make any assumptions of that gravity.
    The most likely situation is that the old employer gave details about the amount of sick leave taken, but not dates or certificates. "He was out sick for two months due to stress" or similar. That would be enough to make many employers run a mile.

Advertisement