Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy's Day in NYC

• 16-01-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

If one happened to be in New York for Paddy's Day where would the best place to see the parade be? Or is it a case of crowd onto 5th Avenue and hope for the best? Any other big things to see in NYC on the day too?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I haven't been to the parade but I might think that from Central Park in the 70s might be stress free-ish.
    I will be there this year and Miss Gunner wants to see it and friend also is marching in the parade. We booked the Ellis Island trip up to crown and planning just to walk around others and few pubs in mind to visit on Paddys day itself and next day for Ireland v England in Rugby. Not heading to woodbury common or Jersey gardens do any shopping in Macys or canal street
    Was there a couple of years ago for Paddys day and mental everyone and I mean everyone is Irish for the day and the pubs packed since early morning, but that was a Sat
    Enjoy and bring loads of cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Enjoy and bring loads of cash

That expensive eh?

fionny wrote: »
    That expensive eh?

well usd v eur is nearly one for one. Manhattan expensive not sure about burbs.
    If you Google hotel prices you'll see. I'm not on splurge but trying to maintain a budget when there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I would love to take this trip also but the rate of dollar to the euro is so bad at the moment it's far too expensive.

Ah ya the hotel was expensive alright but we didnt skimp either, hopefully food and drink isnt anything too extortionate...(cant be worse then Iceland surely) we'll be using public transport to get around so thats cheap enough.
    Flights were a complete bargain mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Why Paddy''s day? Why not call it by the correct name: Patrick''s Day.
    Not having a go, but far too often we seem to go below the standard that we should carry.

Not having a go, but far too often we seem to go below the standard that we should carry.
    Because thats what I and most people I call it. Its real correct name is surely Saint Patrick's day. I don't see anything wrong with calling it Paddy's day personally (better then the Yank's Patty's day) but to each their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Your name is PissFlapsDory......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Going to the States and it'll be Patties day.

If you are going to be pedantic get it right, it's Saint Patrick's Day or Paddies Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If one happened to be in New York for Paddy's Day where would the best place to see the parade be? Or is it a case of crowd onto 5th Avenue and hope for the best? Any other big things to see in NYC on the day too?

Thanks,

Why on earth would you go and look at the parade when you can actually march int he parade? Each county has an association and all you have to do is go to the relevant marshalling point and you can join in. I did it 21 years ago and it was a great perspective on 5th aveneu which I've never had since (in perhaps 100 trip to NYC).

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »

Thanks,

Why on earth would you go and look at the parade when you can actually march int he parade?  Each county has an association and all you have to do is go to the relevant marshalling point and you can join in.  I did it 21 years ago and it was a great perspective on 5th aveneu which I've never had since (in perhaps 100 trip to NYC).
    Interesting... something to discuss with the missus and mull over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ah ya the hotel was expensive alright but we didnt skimp either, hopefully food and drink isnt anything too extortionate...(cant be worse then Iceland surely) we'll be using public transport to get around so thats cheap enough.

Check the small print that you won't get stung for 30 dollars per night 'resort' fee too!

Dovies wrote: »

Check the small print that you won't get stung for 30 dollars per night 'resort' fee too!
    Good there, no resort fee and city tax paid.

Being in the Parade is out :P Im from Kerry and my wife is Cork and there'll be no compromise :P

Thanks,

Why on earth would you go and look at the parade when you can actually march int he parade?  Each county has an association and all you have to do is go to the relevant marshalling point and you can join in.  I did it 21 years ago and it was a great perspective on 5th aveneu which I've never had since (in perhaps 100 trip to NYC).
    I may try this and see if I can get into the Parade I know there is a website https://www.nycstpatricksparade.org/contact/ may see if they will let us March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Why on earth would you go and look at the parade when you can actually march int he parade? Each county has an association and all you have to do is go to the relevant marshalling point and you can join in. I did it 21 years ago and it was a great perspective on 5th aveneu which I've never had since (in perhaps 100 trip to NYC).

Or just join in. Some barriers can come loose! I was there many years ago for the parade and it was a complete ****show. Messiest day I have ever seen over here.

But going again for the fights so a newer perspective this time!

Ya we nagged tickets to Conlan as it should be a big show (we're not that into boxing but for the event and day thats into it)

Ya we nagged tickets to Conlan as it should be a big show (we're not that into boxing but for the event and day thats into it)
    Miss Gunner not interested in going :'( 
    Trying to get Grandstand tickets for the parade as could join in myself but like to sit down with Hip flask in hand

Miss Gunner not interested in going :'( 
    Trying to get Grandstand tickets for the parade as could join in myself but like to sit down with Hip flask in hand
    My wife was sold on the spectacle element... also for london 2012 I had won tickets to the boxing and we saw Conlan back then... so its a nice tie off.

We will just watch the parade... would miss the full thing by being in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

but NY's parade is desperately boring

• Advertisement

Parade is the biggest pile of crap!!!!!
    Just people walking up the street and the odd marching band. Absolute rubbish
    Watched it, and matched a different year, marching is definitely better, but only cos you don't have to watch it!

donegal. wrote: »
    but NY's parade is desperately boring
    Arent they all... we'll prob watch for 5 min then bugger off... its the novelty of being in NYC for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Arent they all...

no , not at all. Dublins parade is great.

But NY's is just millions of people just .... marching .No floats or anything even remotely interesting to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

donegal. wrote: »
    no , not at all. Dublins parade is great.

But NY's is just millions of people just .... marching .No floats or anything even remotely interesting to look at.

This is it. It's just people in business suits marching, literally. No floats, no costumes, no music allowed. The only music allowed are bagpipe/drum marching bands. I have been in the parade before (I'm an Irish dancer), and we weren't allowed dance music. Just skipping around with no tunes. Pretty dull! That year, I had to attend a few parade planning meetings as a rep for the dance school, and I remember reading the guidelines stating that participants in the parade had to dress professionally, no leprechaun hats or shamrock deely boppers allowed. Fair enough, but it is very, very dull to watch and the year I was in it, it snowed. Brrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

The parade in Sunnyside in Queens is a million times better, floats, music, dancers, performers, costumes, etc. It's usually a week or two before the NYC parade. It was started as an alternative event, as LGBT groups were barred from participating in the main parade. Sunnyside parade all the way!!

I've no interest in parade but I have no say..

Anyone recommend good boozers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I've no interest in parade but I have no say..

Anyone recommend good boozers

english bars?

Nah Irish a few I have been recommended are:

Milano's (part dive bar, part Irish bar) on East Houston, Molly's 287 3rd Ave,, the Landmark Tavern 626 11th Ave,,O'Brien's 134 W 46th St,The Grafton 126 1st Avenue,Drop Off Service 211 Avenue A,Paddy Reily's on 2nd av   to name a few

One that interest me is Hibernia on 50th and 9th. Last Paddys day I spent in NY in 07 I spent it around Hells Kitchen and Dublin house on 79th street.

I know there are plenty more and I am sure I will stumble into one of the above if not all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Went there last year with the kids. Fantastic day. We got a good spot on 5th Avenue behind the barriers just before 11, but the NYPD moved everyone up behind the barriers nearer St Patricks Cathedral. It was as if they were trying to condense the crowd, it was still fine though, the crowds aren't too bad - nothing like Dublin.

Like other posters suggested, we went around the back streets and found our county's street (if you get your county street number, double check if it is East or West, each street e.g. 69th has E & W but are separated by 5th Avenue - you don't want to be caught on the wrong side) we joined in no problem at all despite, no one batted an eyelid, they were happy to have a crowd, we even met people we knew, it was brilliant. We could still watch the parade as we waited. It was an amazing buzz to be walking up 5th Avenue with everyone waving at us, we had a sneaky joke amongst ourselves that they were probably wondering how you get into the parade, it was quite simple really:) however, our group didn't move off until nearly 3.30 so there's a lot of hanging around. NY parade has a few rules, no runners on your feet - has to be shoes, no pompoms, no jerseys and probably a few more - check them out online. It was an experience I'll cherish forever, and my kids will too.

Not much to do after the parade, the crowds disperse really, but we just went back to Times Square. As far as the extra taxes on the hotels! Eeek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 burkem7

Hey! Im a lad from the west of Ireland. Going over for a week Paddys. Bringing a few instruments. But strictly for playing in the house, not for gigs. Should I expect questions at customs?

Advertisement