Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy / Protective Notice

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there,

I’m looking for some advice. I’ll be in my job 2 years in April. I was called in last Monday and told I’m being put on protective notice with a view to making me redundant. Very little was explained just that they weren’t meeting targets. I received a later stating that the company will consult with me over the next few weeks and welcome my suggestions to avoid this redundancy taking place, which is fair enough! They also stated in their letter that there would be a follow up meeting Friday the 13th which there was. I got myself prepared had a list of questions and suggestions based on their letter to me. They had not one answer for me or suggestion I thought this very strange and unfair. They said they’ll answer the entire questions Wednesday. So still none the wiser on what’s happening and have to wait another few days after last week being the longest most stressful week ever. What do you think am I being unfairly treated? Also as I’m not yet with the company 2 years yet am I entitled to any package? Thanks for any advice given..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No legal requirement for a package - unless your contract offers one (some do).

Quite typical that they didn't answer piecemeal questions.

Sounds like they're doing a very by-the-book process.

Do you think that they're treating you unfairly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Willow30

A guy that was last in was let go with immediate effect last week then I was called in and put on protective notice. I know there following procedure but why schedule a meeting and have nothing to discuss. My entire questions were all based on points from their letter things I wanted clarified. I thought it was quite unprofessional to not be prepared and have no answers for me is all..

I’m just stressed because I don’t know what’s happening, I may have no job after Wednesday and I doubt very much I will get a package. My contract doesn’t mention redundancy..

They mentioned targets were down when I questioned them if that was based on lasts years figures they could answer me again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Sorry to hear about your situation OP, but in my opinion they're going through the motions of a consultation process, that will end up with your position being redundant and you out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Willow30

I think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Borzoi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your situation OP, but in my opinion they're going through the motions of a consultation process, that will end up with your position being redundant and you out the door.

This would seem like what they are doing.
    Also with less than 2 years service there is no redundancy payment situation in letting OP go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement