Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to choose a Bike.

Options
  • 16-01-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Its January and that time of year we all want to get a bit fitter and what better way to start than changing the daily commute to cycling to work.

I am going to use the Bike to work scheme and my Budget will be 1,000EUR for Bike, Lock, Helmet etc...

I have been looking at a few bikes but I am starting to get bogged down with all the different information ie, Groupsets, Carbon v Aluminum forks, etc...

I am a 5'6in male and the commute will be about 10k a day both in and out from work.

The Bike I have been looking at is the one in the link below, can anyone give me a recommendation if this is a decent Bike to start with or point me in the direction of a better bike.

Any help is much appreciated..

https://eurocycles.com/scott-speedster-40-road-bike/

Thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Hi the below ones would be good one

Cannondale CAAD8 Sora 7

Giant Defy 3

TRIBAN 540 ROAD BIKE - 105

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭robryan

Cheers for that Delboy..

Will have a look at these bikes..

Thanks
    R..

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi the below ones would be good one

Cannondale CAAD8 Sora 7

Giant Defy 3

TRIBAN 540 ROAD BIKE - 105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Without looking too much into the bikes (yet) there are a few other things you need to think of that will affect your purchase.

1. Will you be carrying clothes/lunch/laptops with you. If so what quantities, how often. Panniers or backpack?
    2. Do you see yourself using the bike for leisure at weekends or just commuting. Would you go to the shops/ pubs ect with it.
    3. Do you intend cycling all year. Are you prepared to cycle in rain and bad weather.
    4. Have you somewhere secure in work to keep your bike or will you be locking it in a public space.
    5. Are you tied into a particular shop for your purchase

Regarding the bike you linked you could probably do better for the money.

Thanks for the input Seaswimmer,

-I will just have a backpack with me with some lunch and clothes to change into once I get into work.

-At the minute it will be mainly for the commute into work, I would live to use it for a weekend spin once I build up some fitness (Had been a smoker for 25plus years and off them 6 months now, so next step is to try get fit and remove some of the extra timber I've added)

-I plan on cycling to work throughout the year hail rain or sleet..

-There is a bike shed in work that is locked and I plan on locking the bike in this shed also.

-I am checking out at the minute what shops the company are tied to if any, or am I free to use any shop that is running the B2W scheme... I should hear back from the companies HR dept in the next few days and hopefully on the road by the end of the month..

-I just checked eurocycles as it was the 1st shop I thought of and a friend got there B2W bike through them, I think he was tied to that shop though..

Thanks again
    R

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Without looking too much into the bikes (yet) there are a few other things you need to think of that will affect your purchase.

1. Will you be carrying clothes/lunch/laptops with you. If so what quantities, how often. Panniers or backpack?
    2. Do you see yourself using the bike for leisure at weekends or just commuting. Would you go to the shops/ pubs ect with it.
    3. Do you intend cycling all year. Are you prepared to cycle in rain and bad weather.
    4. Have you somewhere secure in work to keep your bike or will you be locking it in a public space.
    5. Are you tied into a particular shop for your purchase

Regarding the bike you linked you could probably do better for the money.

robryan wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Seaswimmer,

-I will just have a backpack with me with some lunch and clothes to change into once I get into work.

-At the minute it will be mainly for the commute into work, I would live to use it for a weekend spin once I build up some fitness (Had been a smoker for 25plus years and off them 6 months now, so next step is to try get fit and remove some of the extra timber I've added)

-I plan on cycling to work throughout the year hail rain or sleet..

-There is a bike shed in work that is locked and I plan on locking the bike in this shed also.

-I am checking out at the minute what shops the company are tied to if any, or am I free to use any shop that is running the B2W scheme... I should hear back from the companies HR dept in the next few days and hopefully on the road by the end of the month..

-I just checked eurocycles as it was the 1st shop I thought of and a friend got there B2W bike through them, I think he was tied to that shop though..

Thanks again
    R

Well it sounds like you are on the right track with a road bike similar to the one you linked to. Let us know what shops you are tied in to with the btw scheme and people on here can help narrow down your choice.

Advice I have seen on here before is to spend as much as possible on the bike and build up the accessories (clothing, helmet, lights ect over time).

Buy a decent bike at the start and it will last years while you can change/upgrade accessories relatively cheaply.

• Advertisement

Good advice..

I will post back up once I get confirmation on the BTW shops I am tied to using..

Really appreciate the help!!

Cheers
    R
    Well it sounds like you are on the right track with a road bike similar to the one you linked to. Let us know what shops you are tied in to with the btw scheme and people on here can help narrow down your choice.

Advice I have seen on here before is to spend as much as possible on the bike and build up the accessories (clothing, helmet, lights ect over time).

Buy a decent bike at the start and it will last years while you can change/upgrade accessories relatively cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That's good advise from seaswimmer.

As a commuter bike something like this is a better option: (I.e. Alu frame with carbon fork, full mudguards and eyelets for a carrier)

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-bike.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thats a grand bike from a good make.
    My only advice is buy the bike you like the most as it will make you more likely to use it. And perhaps try get at least 10 speed gearing (20 gears on a 2 front cog bike) as it will be way more versatile if you get into doing a few sportives with some hills. You should easily get that inside a grand.
    Best of luck.

Hi Lads,

Just heard back from my companies HR dept about what shops I can use to purchase the bike on the BTW scheme..

They sent the following link and it seems to cover most of the bike shops..

http://taxfreebicycles.com/public/cycle_shops.php

Any help in narrowing down my search would be appreciated..

I will be having a look through a few shops sites during my lunch mainly looking for some of the bikes highlighted by Delboy to see if any of these shops supply these bikes/brands..

Thanks
    R..

Hi Lads,

I think this is the Rothar I will go with..

Its 840 but when I join the Loyalty club with the Bike shop it brings the price of the Bike down to 798..

Does anyone know anything about this bike, whether its a good deal before I plough ahead and buy it to get myself on the commute to work with it..

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=100175

Thanks Again
    Rob

• Advertisement

robryan wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I think this is the Rothar I will go with..

Its 840 but when I join the Loyalty club with the Bike shop it brings the price of the Bike down to 798..

Does anyone know anything about this bike, whether its a good deal before I plough ahead and buy it to get myself on the commute to work with it..

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=100175

Thanks Again
    Rob

I wouldn't get it. Its fairly low end components (Claris) and only 8 speed. you should be looking for at least 9 speed and possibly 10.

For example my daughter got her bike in Think Bike Rathmines. I just looked there at random and you can get this for much the same money but it has a higher spec.
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2016_-_Trek_1_2.aspx

you should be looking for at least Shimano Sora spec or you might even find Shimano Tiagra for the money.

I know this is confusing but at that price range a lot of frames are similar but the components vary.

your gears, brakes, chains, cranks ect are all called a groupset. Shimano is the most popular make and in order of quality (low to high) they are something like

2300, Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace.

For your money look for Sora or Tiagra if you can get it.

edit. Also don't forget to ask for the best deal. If a shop isint willing to reduce the price then ask them to throw in mudguards or other items as part of the deal. They are usually willing to do something for you.

Thanks for this Seaswimmer,

I am not at all clued in on groupsets and the likes.

I will use the information you provided and continue my search for a better spec bike for the money..

Thanks again.
    Rob

I wouldn't get it. Its fairly low end components (Claris) and only 8 speed. you should be looking for at least 9 speed and possibly 10.

For example my daughter got her bike in Think Bike Rathmines. I just looked there at random and you can get this for much the same money but it has a higher spec.
    http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop/2016_-_Trek_1_2.aspx

you should be looking for at least Shimano Sora spec or you might even find Shimano Tiagra for the money.

I know this is confusing but at that price range a lot of frames are similar but the components vary.

your gears, brakes, chains, cranks ect are all called a groupset. Shimano is the most popular make and in order of quality (low to high) they are something like

2300, Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace.

For your money look for Sora or Tiagra if you can get it.

edit. Also don't forget to ask for the best deal. If a shop isint willing to reduce the price then ask them to throw in mudguards or other items as part of the deal. They are usually willing to do something for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ill jump in here if thats ok

1. looking for a bike for less than €500, probably a hybrid
    2. for evening cycles and the odd weekend cycles on quite poor surface roads.
    2. looking for a light bike
    3. read here i probably dont need front suspension on a hybrid.
    4. id like something with quick release wheels so i can throw it in the car.

any suggestions. i have a one4all card that i was hoping to use against it so thats kinds pushed me towards halfords but im sure i could put it towards something else.

bike to work scheme isnt an option.

Advertisement