Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green polytunnels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

It does look to me like the green fibres would reduce the light. I think green light is the worst light to grow plants so even the green tinge in that might inhibit growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The tubes are 25mm, whereas the tubes in a conventional tunnel are 35mm, so it may not as robust as you might expect, and in the photograph, the covering seems to be quite loose, and vulnerable to wind damage, whereas the conventional ones are drum-tight. But, for the comparatively low price advertised, why not go ahead, and if the framework proves reliable, two or three years down the road, when you have discovered the possibilities of tunnels, you could ditch the green cover and re-cover with the good material from a regular polytunnel supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The tubes are 25mm, whereas the tubes in a conventional tunnel are 35mm, so it may not as robust as you might expect, and in the photograph, the covering seems to be quite loose, and vulnerable to wind damage, whereas the conventional ones are drum-tight. But, for the comparatively low price advertised, why not go ahead, and if the framework proves reliable, two or three years down the road, when you have discovered the possibilities of tunnels, you could ditch the green cover and re-cover with the good material from a regular polytunnel supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dutchrep

Hi Both,

Thanks for the replies!

I have been looking into it a bit more since, I don't think I will go for the green covered ones. I am actually going to make my own. An adaptation on the following:

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm

I will be building a base of old tyres (tyre earth ramming approach) to give it some more sturdiness as I live somewhere where it is quite windy (although, isn't all of Ireland :) )

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Looks like a good design- definitely put in the vents- good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Dutchrep

baaba maal wrote: »
    Looks like a good design- definitely put in the vents- good luck with it!
    Thanks!
    Going to be using thick rebar instead of scaffolding tubes. Mainly as a cost saving exercise. I can't find any second hand scaffolding tubes cheap enough, but there's a few steel companies around Cork where I can pick up the off cuts from large orders for pennies.
    Cauliflowers here I come!
    I'll post a picture as soon as it is ready.

Advertisement