Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nighttime toilet trips 3yr old

Options
  • 16-01-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

So my daughter is 3, she'll be 4 in April. She wakes for the toilet every night, this I don't mind too much as if she needs to go she needs to go. We've limited her drinks to an hour before bedtime but she still wakes.

My problem is when she wakes she whinges and moans until one of us gets up and brings her to the toilet. She won't just get up and go herself. While the broken sleep wasn't idea, now we've a 6.5month old who's just been moved to her own room and her older sister is now waking her.

This sound familiar to anyone? Any tips to get her to go herself? Or like with most things with kids ride it out and wait until she moves out to get a good nights sleep 😆

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I would have thought you were expecting a bit much from a toddler to get up in the middle of the night and go to the toilet alone..

Children that age can be a bit fearful of the nighttime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would have thought you were expecting a bit much from a toddler to get up in the middle of the night and go to the toilet alone..

Children that age can be a bit fearful of the nighttime

Oh am I? Fair enough, I didn't think I was but if that's the case I'll file it with the ride it out category! She's so independent in general I suppose I didn't consider she still needed us to go with her, she's happy enough to go to sleep with the light off etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Digs wrote: »
    Oh am I? Fair enough, I didn't think I was but if that's the case I'll file it with the ride it out category! She's so independent in general I suppose I didn't consider she still needed us to go with her, she's happy enough to go to sleep with the light off etc

I don't know your child obviously... so I'm speaking in general.

I still would think she's a bit young. Our lad is the same age and going on his own during the night is a long way away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is there a light in her room? Is the bathroom or the way to it lit? I don't think it's unreasonable that a 3 year old would be able to do this, especially if she can manage the toilet easily and is independent in other ways.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't know your child obviously... so I'm speaking in general.

I still would think she's a bit young. Our lad is the same age and going on his own during the night is a long way away yet.

I don't know, I kind of think we're in a habit now, she insists on doing absolutely everything else herself down to getting dressed so I assumed this would be something she could manage but maybe I'm asking too much. Her bedroom is right beside the bathroom and we leave the light on there for her. I suppose maybe we need to work on her not waking her sister!

• Advertisement

Is there a light in her room? Is the bathroom or the way to it lit? I don't think it's unreasonable that a 3 year old would be able to do this, especially if she can manage the toilet easily and is independent in other ways.

Yeah the bathroom is right beside her bedroom and we leave the light on for her in the bathroom. She's fiercely independent in everything else, won't let us help her with anything, this is the only thing which I wouldn't mind too much if she wasn't waking the other one, who's generally a great sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My son would have gone himself at that age , my daughter who is now 4 would still whinge and moan about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

At least she's telling you digs. My son is the same age and he's not night trained yet. Some nights he'll wake to go and come into bedroom to announce it but mostly we lift him and put him on toilet when we're going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We lift our 3.5 year old every night when we're going to bed. He'd still be half asleep, we sit him on the toilet and he goes, then we carry him back to bed. He doesn't even really wake up and goes straight back asleep.
    He then very rarely wakes again before morning looking to go to the toilet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Also don't think it's unreasonable for a child that age to be able to get up and go by themselves, my fella does. It's probably just habit at this stage, tough one because what can you do you have to get up and bring them. Maybe if you got up and went to her room and tell her you will stay there while she goes to the bathroom and leave when she comes back?if that goes well transition it to an aul shout of yep you'll be grand off you go to the bathroom ;)

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    We lift our 3.5 year old every night when we're going to bed. He'd still be half asleep, we sit him on the toilet and he goes, then we carry him back to bed. He doesn't even really wake up and goes straight back asleep.
    He then very rarely wakes again before morning looking to go to the toilet again.

Tried this last night and worked a treat. We are both spending the morning slagging the other one for not thinking of it sooner :D:D thanks a mill. She didn't even wake.

Also don't think it's unreasonable for a child that age to be able to get up and go by themselves, my fella does. It's probably just habit at this stage, tough one because what can you do you have to get up and bring them. Maybe if you got up and went to her room and tell her you will stay there while she goes to the bathroom and leave when she comes back?if that goes well transition it to an aul shout of yep you'll be grand off you go to the bathroom ;)

I think it is habit. It started around when her sister was born and naturally was in the room with us. I think it was to get a bit of attention. Even on nights when she won't get to bed and is messing in her room she shouts for daddy and when he comes up to her she says she needs to go to the loo - master of manipulation :)

yellow hen wrote: »
    At least she's telling you digs. My son is the same age and he's not night trained yet. Some nights he'll wake to go and come into bedroom to announce it but mostly we lift him and put him on toilet when we're going to bed

Seems I was missing out on this, don't know why we didn't think of lifting her while asleep sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Seems I was missing out on this, don't know why we didn't think of lifting her while asleep sooner!

Yeah it totally works and he never wakes. Straight back into bed and asleep. Hope your little one is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tried this last night and worked a treat. We are both spending the morning slagging the other one for not thinking of it sooner :D:D thanks a mill. She didn't even wake.
    My brother has to do this. They take the 3 year old when they're going to bed and sit him on the toilet. He'll sometimes protest that he doesn't need to wee. While sitting on the toilet and weeing.

Friends of ours with twin girls found it was easier to move the girls into the master bedroom with the ensuite. The girls were well chuffed with having their own bathroom and the parents got their sleep back.

seamus wrote: »
    My brother has to do this. They take the 3 year old when they're going to bed and sit him on the toilet. He'll sometimes protest that he doesn't need to wee. While sitting on the toilet and weeing.

Friends of ours with twin girls found it was easier to move the girls into the master bedroom with the ensuite. The girls were well chuffed with having their own bathroom and the parents got their sleep back.

It's worked like a dream every night so we're delighted! Although the youngest one is waking for chats at odd hours now so I think they are tag teaming each other :D

Sure sleep?? Who needs it??!!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Yeah it totally works and he never wakes. Straight back into bed and asleep. Hope your little one is doing well.

All good here YH, loving it this time round, feel like I found my feet much quicker this time round, baby is just a little dote, I'd have a tribe of her ;)

Hope your pair are doing well too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We lift our little fella before we go to bed. He's barely awake and goes straight back to sleep. He's just too lazy to go alone so this is easier than wet sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We had this a small bit with our lad at this age...I think it's just a phase..we used to wake him for a pee just before we went to bed ,we only needed to do this for a couple of weeks if we didn't there was a chance of wetting the bed.
    We leave a light on between his bedroom and bathroom so he doesn't have to try to get to bathroom in the dark.
    Our lad is a deep sleeper would pee without even waking up..it's probably only a transition they need to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Radical Dawg

Everyone's situation is different, but both of ours have been going at night on their own since they were out of nappies. They just get up & went themselves.
    We just leave the step beside the toilet, and we have 2 x "Mr. Beams" sensor lights come on so they can see, but it's not too bright - 1 on the landing, and 1 in the bathroom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement