Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm truck

Options
  • 16-01-2017 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So help a Yank out. I've got a small holding and would like to get an old beat up pickup truck (like something less than 2000 euros) to do odds and ends with (run feed, fertilizer, gravel, etc.). Don't need any passengers, so a commercial tax, standard cab job is fine for me.

I've rung up my insurer (one of the big ones) and after first hemming and hawing they gave me a quote for something over 15 years old, but it came in at 400 more for just 3rd party F&T compared to what I pay for comprehensive insurance on my 151 car worth 20k. Apparently this is due to the fact that my no claims bonus doesn't count for the truck - which makes no sense to me at all since I can't drive both vehicles at the same time and the biggest risk factor for a claim is the DRIVER not the car.

Is there any work around to this? I just can't fathom seeing the beater truck and my car in the drive and know that I pay almost double to insure the truck. It seems like trying to get it insured as a private vehicle wouldn't make much difference since the problem is the no claims, and I'd be stuck with the higher tax.

Advertisement