Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend doesn't agree with my piercings and thinks I only want them for attention.

Options
  • 16-01-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've 11 piercings at the moment, the oldest is a little over 11 years and the newest is about 2 months. I've always been interested in piercings and tattoos. Everyone I know and surround myself with are OK with this. Even my grandmother who hates them is OK with me having them. I was talking about getting my septum and lip pierced next with one of my friends who finds them cool. My friend, who only has one set of lobe piercings, over heard and said "you really want people to dislike you". I'm fairly lucky in the fact that I've never met people who've (well openly anyway) disliked my piercings. I wouldn't mind if it was a once off comment but she always says something along those lines every time I mention a new piercing or when one of our other friends and I were discussing tattoos we'd like. She says the typical things like it'll effect my ability to get a job, people will judge me and so on. When I try to explain she just looks at me and I can tell she doesn't believe me. She even wanted to get her septum pierced but decided against it after 2 months of debating. She excepts everything else about me except this and it kind of baffles me.

So my question is, I guess, has anything like this happened to any of you and how did you handle it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I've 11 piercings at the moment, the oldest is a little over 11 years and the newest is about 2 months. I've always been interested in piercings and tattoos. Everyone I know and surround myself with are OK with this. Even my grandmother who hates them is OK with me having them. I was talking about getting my septum and lip pierced next with one of my friends who finds them cool. My friend, who only has one set of lobe piercings, over heard and said "you really want people to dislike you". I'm fairly lucky in the fact that I've never met people who've (well openly anyway) disliked my piercings. I wouldn't mind if it was a once off comment but she always says something along those lines every time I mention a new piercing or when one of our other friends and I were discussing tattoos we'd like. She says the typical things like it'll effect my ability to get a job, people will judge me and so on. When I try to explain she just looks at me and I can tell she doesn't believe me. She even wanted to get her septum pierced but decided against it after 2 months of debating. She excepts everything else about me except this and it kind of baffles me.

So my question is, I guess, has anything like this happened to any of you and how did you handle it?

She is right

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

Just roll your eyes at her. Or maybe don't bang on about getting new body mods in front of her specifically.

Having a lot of facial piercings might potentially affect your ability to get a job but that really depends on your chosen career path.
    Ireland's changing though, people really don't care quite so much anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

She is right

AaaaaaaaaAaah no she isn't. It's illegal to discriminate against someone for having piercings or tattoos. We're not living in the dark ages where tattoos and piercings were for "rebels" or to "make a statement" as far as people judging the OP for their body mods, those same people are no doubt judging others based on haircuts and hair colour etc. Essentially they are just shíts.

OP to be honest I'd be inclined to just tell your friend to get to fcuk tbh. You don't need to nor should you justify yourself to anyone. A piercing and tattoo is an entirely personal thing done for expression of self, just like if your friend gets their hair done or wears makeup.

Unfortunately, we still have people who were reared to believe that tattoos and piercings are bad things that only bad people get. That attitude is changing (thankfully) but you'll still get people who ask stupid questions and assume you're seeking attention.

As far as dealing with it, just tell her as I said, to get to fcuk. Your piercings should make you happy, does not in the least matter what others think of you. If she doesn't like your septum and lip piercing well then isn't it lucky it's your face. Personally I don't like septum piercings but I wouldn't openly tell someone who wants one they're attention seeking for wanting one. I'm sure people see me with my spider bites and eyebrow piercing and think "attention seeking much" but frankly I couldn't care less.

If you're going to be happy with your body mods then it's not relevant or worth caring about what others think. At the end of the day, you have to sit in the chair and have a needle put in your body, no one is making you & no one is going to appreciate the results more than you. Just do what makes you happy tbh. You'll have a happier time doing so.

AaaaaaaaaAaah no she isn't. It's illegal to discriminate against someone for having piercings or tattoos. We're not living in the dark ages where tattoos and piercings were for "rebels" or to "make a statement" as far as people judging the OP for their body mods, those same people are no doubt judging others based on haircuts and hair colour etc. Essentially they are just shíts.

OP to be honest I'd be inclined to just tell your friend to get to fcuk tbh. You don't need to nor should you justify yourself to anyone. A piercing and tattoo is an entirely personal thing done for expression of self, just like if your friend gets their hair done or wears makeup.

Unfortunately, we still have people who were reared to believe that tattoos and piercings are bad things that only bad people get. That attitude is changing (thankfully) but you'll still get people who ask stupid questions and assume you're seeking attention.

As far as dealing with it, just tell her as I said, to get to fcuk. Your piercings should make you happy, does not in the least matter what others think of you. If she doesn't like your septum and lip piercing well then isn't it lucky it's your face. Personally I don't like septum piercings but I wouldn't openly tell someone who wants one they're attention seeking for wanting one. I'm sure people see me with my spider bites and eyebrow piercing and think "attention seeking much" but frankly I couldn't care less.

If you're going to be happy with your body mods then it's not relevant or worth caring about what others think. At the end of the day, you have to sit in the chair and have a needle put in your body, no one is making you & no one is going to appreciate the results more than you. Just do what makes you happy tbh. You'll have a happier time doing so.

no, it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

no, it's not

Oh yes it is. :))....(just joking ,it's panto season so I couldn't resist it, sorry :))

Why!? Cos they're special, attention seeking individuals who wish to express their inner creativity with body art and piercings that everyone can see but they're not doing that for attention or anything like that cos they just want to be treated as normal. That's normal isn't it? Yeah right!!

• Advertisement

daithi7 wrote: »
    Oh yes it is. :))....(it's panto season so I couldn't resist it, sorry :))

Why!? Cos they're special, attention seeking individuals who wish to express their inner creativity with body art and piercings that everyone can see but they're not doing that for attention or anything like that cos they just want to be treated as normal. That's normal isn't it? Yeah right!!

Care to show me in law where it is? Considering theres no laws in Ireland or regulations for setting up tattoo and piercing parlours but they go well lets stop discrimination against those with em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Care to show me in law where it is? Considering theres no laws in Ireland or regulations for setting up tattoo and piercing parlours but they go well lets stop discrimination against those with em

I wuz joking , hence the smiles :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's illegal to discriminate against someone for having piercings or tattoos.

I think it's only illegal to discriminate on a race/gender/religious basis. Which people still do, they just give a made-up reason for not employing someone.

age race, religion gender , theres 7 afaik, piercings and tattooes aint one

Advertisement