Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord installed coin meters on washing machine

Options
  • 16-01-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Quick question.

Landlord recently installed fancy new coin meter for both the washing machine and dryer. I dont mind the meter being there but a 40 minute wash and 90 minute dry took 9 euro in coins.

Is this normal? seems very high to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do you pay for your own electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Yes but not the washing/dryer facilities.

im in a house with 6 studios and the shared dryer/washer is in a shed out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quick question.

Landlord recently installed fancy new coin meter for both the washing machine and dryer. I dont mind the meter being there but a 40 minute wash and 90 minute dry took 9 euro in coins.

Is this normal? seems very high to me

There is machines in shopping centres doing washes for less than half that and taking twice and three times the size. Thats a tad robbery tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€9? that is extortionate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's very high. He's making a tidy profit on that. In fairness the government is stopping rent increases so they'll try recoup the money elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes but not the washing/dryer facilities.

im in a house with 6 studios and the shared dryer/washer is in a shed out the back.

It's my understanding that they have to be provided in the apartment. And not Adam added extra, check with the prtb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ted1 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that they have to be provided in the apartment. And not Adam added extra, check with the prtb.
    The landlord has to provide access to washing and drying facilities only.
    There is no mention if the landlord can charge €€€€€€s more.

Most sly by that landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

listermint wrote: »
    There is machines in shopping centres doing washes for less than half that and taking twice and three times the size. Thats a tad robbery tbh

I use these facilities and pay €18 for the wash and dry of a 18kg load.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,259 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

€9 is mental. You could buy your own washer dryer and out a meter on it for €5 for the same service. See which one the other tenants would use. Could pay for itself in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Addle wrote: »
    I use these facilities and pay €18 for the wash and dry of a 18kg load.

the average household one is 5 to 6 kg

There are large machines in my local 8 euro for 18kg wash.

I rest my case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i checked the setting on it. its 40c per kwh. with a daily standing charge of 30c per day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

i checked the setting on it. its 40c per kwh. with a daily standing charge of 30c per day

Our landlord charges €2 but that allows me to do about 5 40c washes :eek: we don't have a dryer so not sure how quickly the €2 would go on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I can see why the landlord would do this. Tenants generally have no respect for energy usage when they aren't paying for it. I know a landlord who rented his property by the rooms. Whenever he was in the house the heating was on full blast 24/7 and the tenants never turned off the lights. Eventually they paid their own bills and the energy usage was a third. I know of tenants who used to put on a wash daily regardless of how full the machine was.

Your landlord only has to give you access to a washing machine and only a dryer if there is no where to dry the clothes. I dont necessarily agree with what he is doing but I can see why he is doing it ie preventing excessive use of the machines. IMO if he was smart he would have charge you enough to make a healthy profit but not enough to wash/dry your clothes elsewhere. Maybe he just doesnt want to deal with a washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

newacc2015 wrote:
    I can see why the landlord would do this. Tenants generally have no respect for energy usage when they aren't paying for it. I know a landlord who rented his property by the rooms. Whenever he was in the house the heating was on full blast 24/7 and the tenants never turned off the lights. Eventually they paid their own bills and the energy usage was a third. I know of tenants who used to put on a wash daily regardless of how full the machine was.

In fairness renting separate rooms gets higher return on the property. The extra rent he was getting should have more than paid for the wastage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness renting separate rooms gets higher return on the property. The extra rent he was getting should have more than paid for the wastage

Not in 2012 when landlords had massive difficulty letting a large houses to a single group of tenants. Regardless of that, why should the landlords higher return which requires a lot more work ie dealing with issues of 7 separate tenants instead of a single one be eaten up by a massive energy bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Very costly- ours would do 2 of those washes and a 90 min dry for €4, and there'd be a little credit left over.  Our meters are very old school tho

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

http://revolutionlaundry.ie/locations/

These are all over the place and are very cheap considering the volume you can wash and/or dry.

Advertisement