Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windscreen Advice for F700GS

• 16-01-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Guys

I am looking to add some parts to my GS to reduce the wind that's trying to freeze me solid and snap my neck :)

Current plan is to add some hand protectors to divert the wind from the heated grips and a larger screen. The protectors are easy enough, lots of options from BMW aftermarket to barkbusters and so on all much the same.

Where I get stumped is the windscreen. I have a quote from BMW for fitting the larger screen but it's non adjustable. I am 5,4 using the low seat and a low rear shock. As with everything else on the machine it's designed for large Germans so I am concerned a non adjustable screen won't suit my vertically challenged self :)

Does anyone have a recommendation on a larger screen for the 700GS or a view on whether adjustable is the way to go given my circumstances?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

As you went for an upright bike, wind will be more of a challenge compared with a sports bike.
    Absolutely pointless advising a screen, as your height etc makes a huge difference, not to mention your inside leg if your going to compare with someone the same height as you. Hand guards can actually worsen the airflow as they vent the air towards your shoulders.
    A new screen is a lot of money to spend and find there is little to no difference.

Search the advrider forums, and perhaps there are mods you can make to your existing one. such as tobinators or cut NACA holes.

Is your problem buffeting or noise ? because at your height, some NACA cut outs might do the trick if there is currently no holes in your screen.
    http://www.chris-longhurst.com/nacavents/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I've a Givi one on my f650gs twin, same as yours, got off eBay, adjustable and makes a big difference over the std screen, actually I think it's for a 700gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The likes of givi airflow should be what you are looking at maybe with madstad adjusters

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Don't go near BMW for accessories if you can, unless you have money to burn.

louis.de have always had the best selection for random screens for random stuff, pick out your bike in the configurator and see what's what.

The F700GS is essentially a naked bike so hoping for a screen that'll cover you might end up looking ridiculous, better to aim for something that'll break up the wind buffeting so you're not hanging on for dear life, you're always going to have some wind to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sebdub

dec_82 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys

Hi, I've just found this topic googling touring screens for F700gs.
    Have you found what you're looking for? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Hey, I actually put it on the back burner while I did a few other things. Primarily I wasnt sure if I was going for a higher seat or removing my lowering kit and needed to know prior to the screen purchase. I removed the lowering kit so now I'm back looking at the screen.

I'm probably going to settle on a wunderlich http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-f-serie/f-700-gs/ergonomie-komfort/scheiben-zubehor.html.

Was considering the vario but I saw the non vario on a bike today and looks like it would be plenty, and its half the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sebdub

I was looking at non vario Wunderlich, unfortunately they didn't have it in stock, so decided to go for Powerbronze instead. That was a mistake - too small, too much buffeting, wind hitting neck and head. Sent it back last week and waiting for refund.
    In the meantime bought WRS touring. A bit better than Powerbronze, but still loud and just too low to move wind over the helmet. I think I'm gonna keep it and add a deflector...

Advertisement