Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is modern Irish society missing something? ****SRS****

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I had a conversation with my dad today about older Ireland when he was growing up in the 1970's and 1980's and naturally the conversation of the disappearance of white dog poo came up. I don't have a dog and the immediate family don't have dogs either but one topic that came up was the relationship between law and order and white dog poo in Ireland.

As many of you know, for ages Ireland was a country full of white dog poo and it is only in the past decade or that it has well and truly collapsed. It is also (based on my observance) that Ireland has become more rough. I am always reading the news about some poor soul has been assaulted on the streets of Cork or some robbery in Galway. I also notice a growing attitude of just not caring in Irish society, whether it be your neighbour etc.

My point being that since the disappearance of white dog poo here, Ireland has become a different country in terms of law and order and looking after each other. It of course still exists, but not on the level it once did where Ireland once almost policed itself. One could always argue that the dogs were hardly ones for ideals between the various biting and chasing postmen that have erupted throughout the years and we have more access to news outlets so naturally we would hear about what is going on more easily.

I had a conversation with my dad today about older Ireland when he was growing up in the 1970's and 1980's and naturally the conversation of the collapse of Ireland's cycling traditions came up. I don't cycle and the immediate family don't cycle either but one topic that came up was the relationship between law and order and cycling in Ireland.

As many of you know, for ages Ireland was a country full of high level cyclists like Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly and it is only in the past decade or that it has well and truly collapsed. It is also (based on my observance) that Ireland has become more rough. I am always reading the news about some poor soul has been assaulted on the streets of Cork or some robbery in Galway. I also notice a growing attitude of just not caring in Irish society, whether it be your neighbour etc.

My point being that since the collapse of cycling here, Ireland has become a different country in terms of law and order and looking after each other. It of course still exists, but not on the level it once did where Ireland once almost policed itself. One could always argue that Cycling Ireland were hardly ones for ideals between the various drug scandals and secretly becoming French that have erupted throughout the years and we have more access to news outlets so naturally we would hear about what is going on more easily.

I had a conversation with my dad today about older Ireland when he was growing up in the 1970's and 1980's and naturally the conversation of the collapse of Ireland's Eurovision traditions came up. I don't watch it and the immediate family don't watch it either but one topic that came up was the relationship between law and order and Eurovision in Ireland.

As many of you know, for ages Ireland was a serious contender in the Eurovision and it is only in the past decade or that it has well and truly collapsed. It is also (based on my observance) that Ireland has become more rough. I am always reading the news about some poor soul has been assaulted on the streets of Cork or some robbery in Galway. I also notice a growing attitude of just not caring in Irish society, whether it be your neighbour etc.

My point being that since the Eurovision Song Contest's fall in popularity here here, Ireland has become a different country in terms of law and order and looking after each other. It of course still exists, but not on the level it once did where Ireland once almost policed itself. One could always argue that Eurovision was hardly one for ideals between the various bloc voting scandals that have erupted throughout the years and we have more access to news outlets so naturally we would hear about what is going on more easily.

Make your own! Just fill in the blanks with something a cause you support that was popular in the 70s and 80s and blame all the problems in modern Ireland on it's fall in popularity. Just remember to briefly mention a scandal or something so it looks you're you're balanced and actually considering the position. Flares, Glenroe, Wavin Pipes, who knows what's caused Ireland to be a bit crap now?

I had a conversation with my dad today about older Ireland when he was growing up in the 1970's and 1980's and naturally the conversation of the[ ] came up. I am not [ ] in the slightest and the immediate family are not [ ] either but one topic that came up was the relationship between law and order and [ ] in Ireland.

As many of you know, for ages Ireland was a [ ] country and it is only in the past decade or that it has well and truly collapsed. It is also (based on my observance) that Ireland has become more rough. I am always reading the news about some poor soul has been assaulted on the streets of Cork or some robbery in Galway. I also notice a growing attitude of just not caring in Irish society, whether it be your neighbour etc.

My point being that since the [ ] fall in popularity here, Ireland has become a different country in terms of law and order and looking after each other. It of course still exists, but not on the level it once did where Ireland once almost policed itself. One could always argue that the [ ] was hardly one for ideals between the various scandals that have erupted throughout the years and we have more access to news outlets so naturally we would hear about what is going on more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

All crime is a a matter of motive, means, and opportunity society can control means and opportunity to a large extent but not totally though. Tackling motivation is much more difficult that is why although society is less violent overall, there appeared to me be more random violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't know OP. The stories I hear about the histories some of the parts of Dublin I now hang out in and consider lively, nice, friendly places to live would make your skin crawl - it seems to me that things are far less violent and crime-ridden now than they were back in the 80s and even 90s. A rehearsal studio I regularly use for band practise is beside an estate which my dad was aghast to hear I had no problem walking past, especially at night - supposedly back in the 80s, it was so rough that the Gardai themselves were afraid to drive into it and if they needed to arrest somebody they'd set up a checkpoint on the main road outside instead and wait, because their vehicles wouldn't survive a drive into the actual estate. I've heard many similar stories about other parts of Dublin as well.

There's a lot of small-scale scumbaggery around and there is gangland crime (not helped by the total lack of deterrent jail sentences IMO) but for example, I've heard that the area around Seville Place / Sheriff Street used to be known as a metal graveyard because of the sheer number of burnt out stolen cars that would end up dumped there after nights of joyriding, I've heard that Dun Laoghaire (where I live) used to have an appalling reputation, that large sections Dublins 8 and 12 between them were considered general 'avoid' areas by a lot of people whereas now they're just full of students...

I think that there's an inevitable tendency in human nature to look at the past with rose tinted sunglasses. The number of times I have to say "relax, it's grand" after telling my parents I'm staying over with a friend in X neighbourhood only to hear back"Whaaaaaaa??? That's a shockingly dangerous street / road / estate / whatever to be hanging out in!" is ridiculous - they lived in the inner city until 1990 and then moved gradually further and further from it (starting with a move from Donore Avenue to Leeson Street, then Sandymount, then Dun Laoghaire, all between 1990 and 1995) so my take on it is that all of their perceptions of bad areas must be the ghosts of times gone past, and maybe therefore places that they haven't frequented since those times.

This would seem, to me, to be backed up by a lot of the stuff you'd see in Boards threads when people are looking for accomodation - a lot of the city seems to have an "avoid" tag which if you apply it solely to what those areas are like now, today, are thoroughly undeserved.

So basically, it seems, more widespread low level douchebaggery but fewer concentrated hives of scum and villainy, to quote Star Wars. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Ireland is sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Nope. European and North American societies might have less war on their soil but they're still violent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    This graph is annoying me more than it should. Firstly I don't think it takes into account the rise in modern piracy, e.g. off the coast of Somalia. Secondly the intervals on the x-axis are all kinds of wrong.

It only goes up to 2000 when they attempted to reverse temperature rises by seeding pirates in the Indian ocean to no avail. The pirates also started being more piratey than expected, they're now using the rising temperature to slowly make the area uninhabitable and kill off the pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think it's a shortening of serious with loads of asterisks for extra emphasis.

I wouldn't have gotten that in a million years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

And you know this because...?

The prison population is greatly skewed towards immigrants and travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,319 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The prison population is greatly skewed towards immigrants and travellers.

I'd ask for a source, but even if you provided one the point is still a fallacy because jail doesn't take into account all crime.

In fact, this actually proves the original poster wrong again: if immigrants are going to jail then no one is afraid of being seen as racist when dealing with them.

IN any case, it;s not relevant to the discussion - he was trying to shoehorn an agenda in. As are you when you mention travellers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement