Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceiling speakers and Amp Query

• 16-01-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm a total tech novice so looking for help. Just got my house (new build) wired for ceiling speakers in kitchen / living room area and am going to play music off docking station with cd player (partner has 100's of trad CD's) through speakers. Im just looking for a recommendation on what amp to get to connect to docking station to power speakers? (If this is even how it works!!)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Folks,

I'm a total tech novice so looking for help. Just got my house (new build) wired for ceiling speakers in kitchen / living room area and am going to play music off docking station with cd player (partner has 100's of trad CD's) through speakers. Im just looking for a recommendation on what amp to get to connect to docking station to power speakers? (If this is even how it works!!)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ray

Congrats on the new home!

Does the Kitchen/living Room have 2 or 4 speakers?

If 2 speakers you could just add a Denon Heos Amp (2 channel amp) and stream all the music from Spotify, tunein radio & other internet sources.

The Amp also has RCA input so you could connect the CD player to it if you want to listen to CD's.

If you have 4 speakers you could use a Denon Heos Amp + Denon PMA720 4 Channel Amp, feed the PMA720 Amp from the RCA Outputs on the Denon Heos and let the PMA720 Amp power the 4 ceiling speakers.

But CD's are old technology now as everyone is gone down the streaming route, i have HEOS in my home & love it, world of music at my fingertips.

All controlled via the HEOS App on iOS & Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Thanks a mill for the advice. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What kind of speakers are they ? Ceiling speakers could be 100 Volt Line types or standard 4 or 8 ohm.
    It's an important difference, 100 Volt speakers won't work with standard amplifiers.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arpatterson73

Nothing wrong with CD and better than the compressed stuff out there unless using likes of Tidal and or purchasing HD tracks.

If you still love your music CD's are great to have and still have great sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

ZENER wrote: »
    What kind of speakers are they ? Ceiling speakers could be 100 Volt Line types or standard 4 or 8 ohm.
    It's an important difference, 100 Volt speakers won't work with standard amplifiers.

Ken

And 3 years later I'm back with the job still not done but about to be.

Going to go with DENON DM41 (the all in one setup appeals) as the amp/receiver and the Bose FreeSpace DS 16F as the ceiling speakers.

Any thoughts? I'm still a novice!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement