Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contents in toilet bowl not flushing away easily

Options
  • 16-01-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Got a downstairs loo which although it seems to have an OK'ish flush the stuff in the pan (lets call it toilet paper :) ) and take a couple of flushes to flush it down. even when there is nothing in the pan the water level in the bowl goes halfway up for a second before going down.

I have my suspicions about the pan connector the builders have put on (see pic) you seem to have your 4" brown/orange soil pipe but then it goes into this pan connector which looks like it reduces it right down to half the size, could this be restricting things? you see how the pan connecter fits 'inside' the 4" soil pipe (in the floor tiles) would I be better chopping the tiles around the soil pipe and fitting a pan connector that fits on the 'outside' diameter of the soil pipe rather than inside? would that make the orifice bigger and flush away the stuff better? - what do you think of this jod they have done does it look decent or a bit of a bodge up?

I have checked outside drains and they are all clean as a whistle by the way.

15977408_10211111030105483_1591411441752954499_n.jpg?oh=7cbdbadb032e19e64a969cbec1fc20cc&oe=590A793D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thank god you listed that picture, I was expecting something completely different ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've learned that on our downstairs loo that if the water is rising while flushing it's a sign that downstream the system has backed up.
    Lift some outside manhole covers and check, have someone flush and watch the manhole to see if it flows through freely.

But on mine it's a sign that the sewer rods are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

_Brian wrote: »
    I've learned that on our downstairs loo that if the water is rising while flushing it's a sign that downstream the system has backed up.
    Lift some outside manhole covers and check, have someone flush and watch the manhole to see if it flows through freely.

But on mine it's a sign that the sewer rods are needed.

Thanks, yep I did all that last week. We have about 3 manhole covers on our property before it gets to mains drain on the road, but I werent going to remove that cover! - both other toilets and sinks and bath drain away perfectly. - I do see that the other 2 toilets have a different cistern to the downstairs loo and they do look like they flush better / more powerful - maybe thats why stuff flushes away better and quicker, maybe the flush from the cistern in the downstairs loo is just weaker flush, maybe thats what it is.

Thanks, yep I did all that last week. We have about 3 manhole covers on our property before it gets to mains drain on the road, but I werent going to remove that cover! - both other toilets and sinks and bath drain away perfectly. - I do see that the other 2 toilets have a different cistern to the downstairs loo and they do look like they flush better / more powerful - maybe thats why stuff flushes away better and quicker, maybe the flush from the cistern in the downstairs loo is just weaker flush, maybe thats what it is.

The US toilets have a fall from the downpipe(s) so its always more likely to experience a problem on the lower level loo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont think the multiwick looks right. its kind of twisted. what way is the rubber seal on the bottom where it goes into the 4" pipe.

doesbit happen when its onlywater

what brand paper are you using.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

15977408_10211111030105483_1591411441752954499_n.jpg?oh=7cbdbadb032e19e64a969cbec1fc20cc&oe=590A793D

Is this seriously the state your downstairs loo was left in?

Who painted the wall behind it?

Who fixed the skirting board? Thats just lazy!

Who cut off the (brown) wavin pipe at floor level and decided shoving a smaller pipe into it would do?

I wont even start on the floor!

P.S.

Clean off those cobwebs.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

That is absolute cowboy work all round. Shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I will not comment on the work, but something i know causes your problems apart from the job that was done, is cheap toilets.
    I bought a couple of cheap toilets and had the same problem after paying someone else to fit them. I paid for one in my house, and i also paid a different person to fit one in my mothers house, and he questioned it. I said if there was a problem we could change it.
    He had originally put in a walk in shower and an easy access bath along with an extra shower downstairs. I added the cheap toilet as an afterthought a few months later but asked the same guy.
    We changed it less than 2 weeks later. :(

Got him to change the one in my house too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

The toilet has a **** job really, Andy are you using Lidl toilet paper?

• Advertisement

Xcom2 wrote: »

Is this seriously the state your downstairs loo was left in?

Who painted the wall behind it? Nothing to do with the problem

Who fixed the skirting board? Thats just lazy! Nothing to do with the problem

Who cut off the (brown) wavin pipe at floor level and decided shoving a smaller pipe into it would do?Nothing to do with the problem

I wont even start on the floor!Nothing to do with the problem

P.S.

Clean off those cobwebs. Again, nothing to do with the problem.

:-)

Why did you even bother, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

dodzy wrote: »

Trying hard for Francis Brennan's job I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If its not a blocked drain outside and the evidence so far is that is what the problem is I think it might be that the outlet on the toilet is pushed too far back into the connector behind it reducing the flow.

You can check if that is the problem by removing the blanking plug and taking a look at it. If you can't get to look in then use the camera on a mobile phone.

my3cents wrote: »
    If its not a blocked drain outside and the evidence so far is that is what the problem is I think it might be that the outlet on the toilet is pushed too far back into the connector behind it reducing the flow.

You can check if that is the problem by removing the blanking plug and taking a look at it. If you can't get to look in then use the camera on a mobile phone.

Good idea. It could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

dodzy wrote: »

If there are so many other mistakes made on the job, then it might lend to reason that an unseen fcuk up was made by the cowboy who installed the loo.

My sunday afternoon mission was to remove the pan to see what was going on (lovely job to do on a sunday afternoon!) - and when I removed the pan I removed that white right angled bend and found that the white rubber gasket at the bottom of the white bend had dislocated and was blocking the hole to the brown soil pipe. anyway re-position it back onto the white elbow again and carefully put it back into the brown soil pipe hole and now the toilet flushes fine. Thats another job sorted. - was a shít job, but someone had to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Sounds like a s*** situation :D

I was also going to suggest reduced water flow but I defer to my3cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

My sunday afternoon mission was to remove the pan to see what was going on (lovely job to do on a sunday afternoon!) - and when I removed the pan I removed that white right angled bend and found that the white rubber gasket at the bottom of the white bend had dislocated and was blocking the hole to the brown soil pipe. anyway re-position it back onto the white elbow again and carefully put it back into the brown soil pipe hole and now the toilet flushes fine. Thats another job sorted. - was a shít job, but someone had to do it :)
    I was going to suggest the exact same thing might be the problem, but you bet me to it.
    Well done ��
    T.

Except that sometimes you can remove that plastic elbow without removing pan.

Tom44 wrote: »
    .... Except that sometimes you can remove that plastic elbow without removing pan.

I tried first of all - naw, had to remove pan (well I removed pan complete with cistern) - as it turns out the pan was only held in with one screw in the end at the base, yet another 'bodge-up' - i drilled a hole, put a rawplug in and new brass screw in the end. I reckon whoever put this bog in must have worked for "Bodgit & Leggit" Plumbers inc. :)

Advertisement