Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care Workers in Melbourne

Options
  • 16-01-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all, me and my other half are planning on going to Melbourne for a WHV. The plan is to extend it for two years and we haven't thought about anything further yet. I'm just finishing up my degree (level 7) in applied social studies in social Care from IT Blanch. I'm just wondering if there's any social Care workers living over in AUS, how difficult you found it to find work, what kind of pay I could expect, is there work in town or do you have to travel to the suburbs etc. I've been looking at jobs (family support, disability residential, youth/community work) and a lot of roles seem to be based miles and miles outside the city centre. We're planning on living pretty central, south Melbourne or South bank.

Also if anybody has any good websites for hunting for jobs they'd be much appreciated 😀

One more thing, did you have to write up a different CV for AUS? I hear CVs are short and straight to the point out there, rather than long and drawn out as they tend to be here. Just trying to put a few ducks in a row, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I'm not sure about the work you are looking for specifically, but a few points I will make:

Most of the work you will find in the social study/social care field will probably be a little further out towards the suburbs. Much of it will be in lower income communities and areas where the demand for social services is highest.
    The CBD areas are largely financial/retail/commercial and construction projects. That said, you may be lucky and find the right job at the right time, but there is still a 6 month limit in a 12 month period on a WHV which will definitely have an effect on applications.

Is your job description eligible for 457 or SQL visas?
    That offers the best long term prospects, but it they are lengthy and often expensive processes.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and look at rental properties in the areas you are considering living.

Have a look at Seek.com.au for some indication of where the work is and how much you can expect to earn.

Don't rule out suburbs in some of the cities, Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane all have cracking suburbs that have plenty to offer, if you are hell-bent on living in the Metro areas be prepared to pay through the nose for it.

Regarding the Resume, keep it short and sweet, maximum two A4 pages, make sure it is clear and well written. Try and get some Referees in Australia ASAP, even if it is a matter of doing a few months work outside of your previous experience/training/education/skill-set. character and work ethic are some of the biggest weaknesses I have seen in the Aus workforce, there is a generation of self-entitled social media addicted clowns over here that don't even know how to do a days work. You can easily stand head and shoulders above them with some common sense and by getting stuck in. Employers love a "have a go" attitude, if you can back it up with some smarts and manners, the sky is the limit.

Don't be afraid of the unknown, try new things, meet new people.

Feel free to PM me about specific areas in cities as I've spent a reasonable amount of time everywhere except WA and NT.

Advertisement