Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows

Options
  • 16-01-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All

Hoping someone could help me here. I'm getting new windows installed next month I need to remove the shocks and contacts from the current windows before they arrive with the new frames. I'm just wondering is there a procedure to powering down the alarm completely during the window installation? It's a fairly old wired Astec system, shocks and contacts (separate from each other) no PIRs

I don't have the alarm down on the house insurance as it's not the most reliable and I intend to have it upgraded once funds become available. But I do use it most of the time.

Can I just power it off somehow? Will this set off the bell from the backup battery? Ideally I'd like not to cut the sensors off as I may wish to use it for a while with the new windows.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you don't have engineer access then powering it down would be the easiest (and quietest) option.
    Remove the mains fuse , open the panel lid & remove the battery link. The external bell will run down in 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 20170116

Thanks for the response Koolkid.

If I remove the battery link does this not kill the power to the external bell also? Or does it have a battery backup contained within?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The external bell has a back up battery . That why it takes about 15-20 minutes to stop.

Advertisement