Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne live - AHAR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hearing that most charities or rescue groups stay a mile away from AHAR. After claire Byrne and Live line I'm not surprised.

Hearsay and bullshït seems to be the source of all the "facts" on here... Frankly amazed how this thread is allowed run with all the hatchet jobs on here....Mods always seem to be cracking down on potentially libellous threads.. and this one is running on and on.... Curious?!

Facts.

They have 2 ex treasurers raising serious issues of corporate governance at the charity.
    They have been told their bookkeeping and accounts are not satisfactory by the Charity Regulatory Authority.
    The bank account for the charity was in Suzanne Gibbons own name.
    They sent horses to the UK with no passports.
    The person who bought AHARs premises for the charity will have nothing to do with the charity anymore due to issues with the Charity.
    A number of former volunteers have given affidavits detailing problems with animal safety that they witnessed during their time with AHAR.

That's not hearsay or bullsh it.

How can you defend that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Looking after rescue animals is a thankless job 24 / 7 & animal cruelty is not taken seriously in ireland. The damage done to AHAR may now stop the donations and where does that leave the animals. Maybe Miss gibbons was a genuine person who loved animals once but the job is without thanks or care in ireland and often looked down on after a while you can become sour and bitter. . ~You have to be a right hard chaw to deal with some of the cruel bastards in this country i have challenged many travellers on cruelty and the abuse was unreal.

if Miss gibbons pays herself a salary and can pay herself a salary she deserves it but she needs paid staff to make sure a routine is kept too with feeding and cleaning and caring for animals. She should not be demonised she should be supported and helped to do the right thing. yes she says the charity is hers 9 she did start it ) but unfortunately the robbing thieves in rehab & suicide watch have opened a can of worms and all the horses & dogs will pay now in county kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

cyning wrote: »
    Facts.

They have 2 ex treasurers raising serious issues of corporate governance at the charity.
    They have been told their bookkeeping and accounts are not satisfactory by the Charity Regulatory Authority.
    The bank account for the charity was in Suzanne Gibbons own name.
    They sent horses to the UK with no passports.
    The person who bought AHARs premises for the charity will have nothing to do with the charity anymore due to issues with the Charity.
    A number of former volunteers have given affidavits detailing problems with animal safety that they witnessed during their time with AHAR.

That's not hearsay or bullsh it.

How can you defend that?

Links please

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Maybe some posters have a personal issue with the lady in question,maybe not.
    What i am concerned about is animal welfare,I don't know myself what is the real truth but if any of the reports are factual than i think the authorities should be stepping in and ensuring conditions are suitable.

AHAR have not provided enough counterbalance to the numerous individuals who have publicly stated that there are many areas of concern.Have all these people a hidden agenda,Maybe so but i would see that as unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

And when you have proof of millions going missing, then you can come back on your AHAR high horse, until then...Nope....Not a jot of proof...Just the same old Facebook rubbish

Have you got any proof of where all the money went? If you do then you need to contact the charity regulator and show them the accounts :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Have you got any proof of where all the money went? If you do then you need to contact the charity regulator and show them the accounts :rolleyes:

That's not how it works I'm afraid...It's called innocent until proven guilty I'm afraid
    Now, when you can prove your please come back and I'll apologise, until then....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And when you have proof of millions going missing, then you can come back on your AHAR high horse, until then...Nope....Not a jot of proof...Just the same old Facebook rubbish

Did you even watch the programme last night??

It was RTE investigations that stated that there was over 1million donated through paypal between 2013 and 2015.
    There were huge withdrawals of cash through ATMs, running into the tens of thousands per month with no accountability or receipts.
    The woman who runs it had full control of the account without any other trustee oversight.
    She categorically stated that she was not paid multiple times in radio interviews, that AHAR was fully volunteer run, then it transpired through forensic accountancy that she was paid, a small salary PLUS rent PLUS expenses.

None of this is facebook hearsay, it's RTE investigators doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That's not how it works I'm afraid...It's called innocent until proven guilty I'm afraid
    Now, when you can prove your please come back and I'll apologise, until then....

Link to report on the regulators page Are you saying they are lying?

Did you even watch the programme last night??

It was RTE investigations that stated that there was over 1million donated through paypal between 2013 and 2015.
    There were huge withdrawals of cash through ATMs, running into the tens of thousands per month with no accountability or receipts.
    The woman who runs it had full control of the account without any other trustee oversight.
    She categorically stated that she was not paid multiple times in radio interviews, that AHAR was fully volunteer run, then it transpired through forensic accountancy that she was paid, a small salary PLUS rent PLUS expenses.

None of this is facebook hearsay, it's RTE investigators doing their job.

Yes....The same investigators who believed Martin McGuiness' little puppet when he rang the RTE studios during the presidential debate....And took.them 2 years to apologize.....Get out of here ffs!

I don't believe everything said against the charity. What i do know is that on their own Facebook page they are admitting about the finances.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/charity-regulator-serves-notice-on-animal-rescue-organisation-to-keep-financial-records-35372081.html

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/claire-byrne-live-extras-30003215/10674681/

https://www.facebook.com/ahar.ie/

I've been following ahar since the Sharon Shannon debacle. I don't believe Fota Wildlife park lied either.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/the-curious-tale-of-sharon-shannon-the-blue-macaw-and-the-animal-rescue-centre-31577768.html

But honestly why do you believe she is so good? Both sides of the story should be put forward. The truth is the third side normally.

• Advertisement

Yes....The same investigators who believed Martin McGuiness' little puppet when he rang the RTE studios during the presidential debate....And took.them 2 years to apologize.....Get out of here ffs!

No, you were the one who called it facebook bull, when it's not. It's been going on for years. It's taken probably thousands of complaints to DOA, DOE and ISPCA but it's finally come to light what has been going on. In fact you sound exactly like an AHAR puppet!!

No, you were the one who called it facebook bull, when it's not. It's been going on for years. It's taken probably thousands of complaints to DOA, DOE and ISPCA but it's finally come to light what has been going on. In fact you sound exactly like an AHAR puppet!!

I have no affiliation with AHAR whatsoever pet.
    But....I'm not going to believe the screams and moans eminating from rival 'charities" when there is proof that can be later before the dept of public prosecutions...Then fine....But until then, not too bothered about the moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I tried to adopt a westie a few months ago, I had money in hand , I was refused because I was told the dog in question wouldn't be appropriate as I had small children . All I'm saying is if it was only for money this wouldn't have happened. This place really needs a proper unbiased review of the centre.

Just to put on record I'm on the fence , I've heard good things and bad things . I really don't know .

This is what suzzane has to say below ....

Dear Ahar supporters

I am deeply upset about the portrayal of me in the RTE investigates segment on Claire Byrne last night.
    It is no secret that AHAR and I have been the target of an online hate campaign which was started originally by other people in the rescue world and ex volunteers we made a choice to remove, which over time has become clear to others.

How can they present two people who claimed to have had less then ideal experiences with AHAR yet not mention the thousands of dogs and hundreds of equines that have been saved and rehomed With excellent testimony from new owners, families and then claim a balanced report?

Never the less, there are some problems AHAR must face up to. The new charity commission have visited us and pointed out some bookkeeping issues. We are not all we should be in this area. That is not the same as misappropriation of funds. Even RTE mentioned on two occasions that 'there was no suggestion of impropriety in the use of AHAR donations'. The Charity commission have told us the same at our inspection.

The reporter even tried to smear our ability to look after the animals in our care. Despite having been offered to contact our inspectors and vets directly. That offer was declined. Now if you wanted to question welfare issues. Would you not have made contact with professionals who do work with AHAR on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?

Yes it's a matter of public record that AHAR was served welfare notices. The detail was too inconvenient to mention. One was for our team to attend a training course to drive a type 2 transporter (which I can proudly say we have four of us qualified in both areas) When attending the course, it was apparent the AHAR team of four were more familiar with the regulations for dog and equine transport than the course providers and we made these known to the instructors. Animal transport certificates are a necessary qualification to have in animal rescue, but I would like to know how many other animal rescues in Ireland have completed the course?

The second part of that welfare notice was for transporting a pony which later our vet proved had a break in his leg. Neither I nor the driver on that night were qualified to make that call. The facts of that case were an abandoned pony with a serious leg wound, dumped in the middle of nowhere on a pouring rain night only twenty miles from our centre. We moved the pony to our centre where we had our vet on call to come on his return to treat him. A decision was made by our vet to put him to sleep.

Another was for not having a map for seven acres that we rent next to our centre. One of the women who voiced their opinion last night on the failing of AHAR was responsible for not collecting that map on time during her time as a committee member (trustee as the programme used) with us. It was a job given to her and she failed it.

Another was for two equines we had recently saved and was to prove they had been seen and cared for by a vet which we did so an hour later by email, thus removing that welfare notice.

If AHAR was what it was painted to be last night. The professionals who's job it is to inspect us and our work, would have stepped in long before now and closed us down.

On a personal note, I was very disappointed to have private phone calls taped without my knowledge or permission by someone I considered a friend at the time, who slept in my home and ate from my plates in her time of need. I admit, some of my comments were unsavoury and I apologise for offence they may have caused. I have never acted on impulses to fight back even after three years of suffering on line bullying against those who wish AHAR to fail, despite what I may have been encouraged to say in that phone call for the reasons of recording. I have listened to my committee and team to not publicly react to the hate speech but to continue to do what I'm here for and that is to save as many souls as I can.

I am under great pressure, both professionally as an animal rescuer and privately as a single woman who lives alone. There is a prolonged and intense online campaign for AHAR to fail and to try allow others to take over my life's work. I have been stalked, attacked physically, stolen from and every single comment I put up in the public domain for the purpose of raising funds for the animals is poured over and torn apart. Yet all my good ideas are copied and shared some by the very people who slate me. I make mistakes at times, I'm only human at the end of all this and new to being and acting as a charity as before I ran my own business for half my life to support my work in rescue. My mistakes are always portrayed as part of a large web of deceit I inflict on AHAR'S followers. We have been called a cult among other things. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    I deeply respect every cent or penny donated. Every cent means the start if a new life for the most important souls in all this. The animals.
    Four years ago. AHAR had 1,000 followers. I stood in the mud in a rented farm in a bog. I looked around at all the hardship we all suffered on an ongoing basis. I lived no better then a someone in the dark ages. It was there I decided to take my AHAR, my dream to the next level. To a farm where I would be allowed to continue my dream that would be owned in trust to allow me to improve our centre and let it grow to be all it could be. I'm so grateful to be allowed this chance in the hope AHAR will continue into the future, long after all of us have passed.

AHAR is a tremendous success story for all concerned. Especially our army too, but most of all for all the souls we have saved. I have fallen down in certain areas for not seeking expert advice at the right time or by not diverting funds raised away from the animals to administration of AHAR, including committee meetings. I know these things need to change for AHAR to raise the bar to meet the new charity standards. But if you knew me for a moment. The girl who writes all the posts. Makes you laugh, cry and makes you fight the front lines with me. You'll know all that matters ever to me is to save these souls. I have never been good at spelling or paper detail but I have faith our newly appointed committee with the last year will reach all these standards and every goal set for them. AHAR has now grown big and we desperately want to do every last thing by the book. In the few years where we have grown from an acorn to a huge oak tree so fast we have had to work twice as fast to keep up as it grew. I have never failed these animals nor will I ever. All of you who took the time to visit our centre left with only all positive comments and continued to support our work.
    Sadly sensational journalism only sells these days. The success stories don't take as much ink.
    AHAR will continue to grow, thankfully with the help of the right professional people we are surrounded with now.
    Now we need to put back our focus on the ones that need us most. The animals.

Love as always

Suzanne X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

if a donor bought the house & acreage for her 320,000 EURO apparently why would she be paying rent at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

she doesn't live on the grounds. it was an equestrian centre back in the boom. when it was sold by the banks it supposedly made a lot more than 320k

locals cant wait for it to close. it is only a nuisance, dogs barking all nigh etc, traffic puling into houses for directions as she has no signs up. sooner it is closed and turned back to an arena the better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Looking after rescue animals is a thankless job 24 / 7 & animal cruelty is not taken seriously in ireland. The damage done to AHAR may now stop the donations and where does that leave the animals. Maybe Miss gibbons was a genuine person who loved animals once but the job is without thanks or care in ireland and often looked down on after a while you can become sour and bitter. . ~You have to be a right hard chaw to deal with some of the cruel bastards in this country i have challenged many travellers on cruelty and the abuse was unreal.

if Miss gibbons pays herself a salary and can pay herself a salary she deserves it but she needs paid staff to make sure a routine is kept too with feeding and cleaning and caring for animals. She should not be demonised she should be supported and helped to do the right thing. yes she says the charity is hers 9 she did start it ) but unfortunately the robbing thieves in rehab & suicide watch have opened a can of worms and all the horses & dogs will pay now in county kerry.
    Well said. !

I have no affiliation with AHAR whatsoever pet.
    But....I'm not going to believe the screams and moans eminating from rival 'charities" when there is proof that can be later before the dept of public prosecutions...Then fine....But until then, not too bothered about the moaning

Less of the passive aggressive name calling, I'm not yours or anybodys pet!

Put it this way - RTE did a series of investigations into failings at creches and nursing homes. Would you be as blasé about their findings if you had a child attending one of the creches or an elderly relative suffering abuse in a nursing home? Would you send your child in the day after an investigative programme exposed their neglect of children because there's no proof? Or would you be "not too bothered about the moaning"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

As a charity they are obliged to have there accounts in order and have clear transparency on how they contact themselves and the care for the animals .

I don't think anybody begrudges people getting paid , if anything she should be getting more .

I'd hate to see this place closed but they need to get there **** together and get it fast because like I said above as many people in past said good things, the same said bad things . its stopping me making contributions anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Indeed, Innocent until proven guilty. However, if innocent, it would be shocking if AHAR and Ms Gibbons don't sue on the basis of their good name being unfairly maligned. Unless of course they couldn't defend their behaviour in court and wouldnt want their practices discussed in detail publicly.

It is absurd that anyone watched RTE's report and believe that all questions have been answered by AHARs statements. The Charities regulator has questions and given the reported practices, it would be a shame if more didnt follow.

How were the same investigators? The same people sent out to investigate if wrongdoing has occured in the charities are the same people that man the phones on Primetime. Guessing that you dont have proof for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Links please

watch the rte investigates program. The facts are there to seen.

Morgans wrote: »
    How were the same investigators? The same people sent out to investigate if wrongdoing has occured in the charities are the same people that man the phones on Primetime. Guessing that you dont have proof for that.

Same amount of proof as the rest of ye have in here.... See how this works?

Same amount of proof as the rest of ye have in here.... See how this works?

I personally dislike how the word troll has been abused in the last few years. It is refreshing to see old school 20th century 'trolling' is still about. It has been a while. Making the argument to annoy people without even anything approaching a leg to stand on. Kudos and keep up the good work.

As a charity they are obliged to have there accounts in order and have clear transparency on how they contact themselves and the care for the animals .

I don't think anybody begrudges people getting paid , if anything she should be getting more .

I'd hate to see this place closed but they need to get there **** together and get it fast because like I said above as many people in past said good things, the same said bad things . its stopping me making contributions anyway .

It won't stop all the donations. Huge amounts are raised from the UK and USA. But maybe the fraudulent methods will be scaled back for a while.

Like I said before, the rescue I got one of my dogs from had issues, none were apparent at the time of rescue but the woman who ran it has since been prosecuted for animal cruelty. She wasn't anywhere near as good at PR as AHAR is so her donations were certainly on a much smaller scale. But I donated to her, I donated money, I sent food and treats for dogs and horses, I sent equipment (leads and collars) for dogs, I did a cross country transport run too. And boy did I feel angry when the truth about her came out. It'll be a similar effect but they're not going to see Claire Byrne live segment on BBC or CNN so it will be limited.

It is absurd that anyone watched RTE's report and believe that all questions have been answered by AHARs statements. The Charities regulator has questions and given the reported practices, it would be a shame if more didnt follow.

I agree. It would be extremely disappointing if this isn't used as a foundation for a deeper look at how the 'rescue' is run and it's welfare practices.

I donated once a few years ago and I got a very strange response. I didn't know anything about them so I went on to read up on them and ask people I knew who were animal lovers and take an interest in animal welfare. The stories I both heard from friends and read online have horrified me. I believe another poster was right when he/she said a cadavar dog would have his work cut out. (Thats not an exact quote).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Keep things civil please or This thread will be closed. Mod

I personally dislike how the word troll has been abused in the last few years. It is refreshing to see old school 20th century 'trolling' is still about. It has been a while. Making the argument to annoy people without even anything approaching a leg to stand on. Kudos and keep up the good work.

I don't think you're a troll, but yeah, attack the poster and not the post ..... Seems to be systemic within this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Looked up the post about the organisation and a blue parrot and sharon shannon. Like a 6 year olds story book. Seriously ?

I don't think you're a troll, but yeah, attack the poster and not the post ..... Seems to be systemic within this thread

In fairness I've tried to engage with you. I haven't called you pet or maintained it's black and white. But you are rubbishing all the claims and picking and choosing what to reply to.

Do you disagree with the Charity Regulator?

Do you disagree with AHAR themselves?

How do you explain that AHAR have long maintained that Suzanne Gibbons didn't get a wage when she was?

Why was the AHAR bank account in Suzanne Gibbons name?

How do you explain AHAR being issued animal welfare notices? Again admitted by AHAR.

Why does AHAR buy animals and say she rescues them? That's not rescuing.

I can't answer those questions. I don't think everything being said by AHAR is true. I don't think everything being said against them is true. But you are not discussing anything. You are blocking discussion.

• Advertisement

Looked up the post about the organisation and a blue parrot and sharon shannon. Like a 6 year olds story book. Seriously ?

It was the radio interviews that followed that were ridiculous. She said she contacted Fota. Fota put it in writing she didn't. Why lie?

Advertisement