Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne live - AHAR

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Water John wrote: »
    Brought up the subject with a few Kerry friends today. Not a lady to be crossed was the response.

Ditto.

This charity warrants serious scrutiny. FJIG is fighting a losing battle denying/deflecting on this woman's behalf. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Who gives a **** what your friends think.

Sorry there I have to stop you, as I've said above living locally , I've heard as much bad things as good things as well.

What there needs here is someone to come in and do a full independent assessments. Suzzane needs to give her full cooperation to that assessment, and based on that make changes .

As good as this rescue is , there needs to be a big shake up and reality check .

As I have posted above, suzzanes own post on Facebook . They know they have failed in certain areas and need to get their house in order. I don't think suzzane should step a side but there defenatly needs a group of people to make decisions on a daily basis .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Knowing the Lady personally, she will hardly ever give her cooperation. As she admitted in the recorded Telephone conversations, no-one tells her what to do, and she answers to no-one. Having met her 5 years ago and experienced her behavior first hand I can only confirm that that is what she believes. She has founded AHAR in 1991 - a time when there were no rules, no laws and running a charity was a cowboy business. She has not copped on that times have changed. The people on the board are personal friends and in 'awe' of her.
    Furthermore, they announced they had opened a new bank account for AHAR business - so far that account has not been announced on the page yet - as a matter of fact you can only donate by pay pal. As long as Ms,Gibbons displays the traits we have seen in the documentary, as long as she states she does not answer to anyone she has no business running a charity.They have 4 weeks to get their house in order.I will follow this very closely. deadline is 13/02/2017. Let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

On liveline again today lets see what excuses are used this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

The OH shared a post yesterday from somebody who linked the Claire Byrne show's URL. One of her friends passed a comment on it about how she had gotten an animal from AHAR previously and all was well and the OH replied in a positive way. This was all on their timelines and no tagging of AHAR was involved in this and there was no negative commentary directed at AHAR (though the originally shared post may have had some negative comments in it).

The post has now vanished ... methinks AHAR supporters are being very busy reporting any AHAR posts to FB and bringing the joys of censorship to a new audience. :eek:

• Advertisement

The OH shared a post yesterday from somebody who linked the Claire Byrne show's URL. One of her friends passed a comment on it about how she had gotten an animal from AHAR previously and all was well and the OH replied in a positive way. This was all on their timelines and no tagging of AHAR was involved in this and there was no negative commentary directed at AHAR (though the originally shared post may have had some negative comments in it).

The post has now vanished ... methinks AHAR supporters are being very busy reporting any AHAR posts to FB and bringing the joys of censorship to a new audience. :eek:

I posted links to indo article and also link to charity regulator report and all deleted and i'm barred from posting on site. they don't want people to see what was said about them on tv.

no they don't.Thats why everything was uploaded to you tube

uhm..I posted some stuff on my profile as well - haven't even thought of checking if it was still there...will do asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

They seem to be struggling with deleting negative posts now maybe the sheer volume is getting to them but more and more are slipping through.

This new support our drummer girl badge is sickening.

They seem to be struggling with deleting negative posts now maybe the sheer volume is getting to them but more and more are slipping through.

This new support our drummer girl badge is sickening.
    I actually choked on my tea from laughing seeing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I saw that earlier! I support Suzanne: give me a break: why isn't it I support AHAR? She is not the charity.

Sinking to new lows with that banner. Shows it all about her not the animals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I see Pete the vet has jumped into the argument on his Facebook page and has been met with a strong argument like on this thread .

As we've seen here there's strong support on both sides .

Its a tricky one so it is.

I keep seeing them blaming the "haters" haters were not responsible for their books or the welfare of the animals the charity took in. They really need to stop blaming everyone else for their own shortcoming and problems. Their posts about drummer girl etc are making them look like a pack of nuts

cyning wrote: »
    I saw that earlier! I support Suzanne: give me a break: why isn't it I support AHAR? She is not the charity.
    She is in her own head. She sees what is happening now as a personal attack - not as something that is a shortcoming of the governing of public funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

This could be rectified rather easily if steps were put in place by AHAR.
    Just need to introduce new policies and procedures and comply fully with legislation.
    Really think they need to stop buying animals and just report issues to ISPCA.

All this aside,Animal welfare in this country needs to be taken far more seriously,There should be no need for such facilities as AHAR,The state should be looking after this and introducing far tougher custodial sentences to those who commit neglect / cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

cyning wrote: »

if it turns out that this "charity" was not ran properly as a charity will she be hit with a tax bill going back over the years??

are charities exempt from paying tax??

if her name is on the deeds of the premises or the bank account it cant be a charity can it??

thadg wrote: »
    if it turns out that this "charity" was not ran properly as a charity will she be hit with a tax bill going back over the years??

are charities exempt from paying tax??

if her name is on the deeds of the premises or the bank account it cant be a charity can it??

Can charitable tax exemption be withdrawn?
    Yes, tax exemption may be withdrawn (retrospectively if necessary) if the body does not comply with its charitable objects or to the conditions associated with the charitable tax exemption. In such circumstances a charge to tax as determined by the Revenue Commissioners may be raised.

I think the deeds are in trust and she doesn't own IT. Don't quote me on that.

On the rte program they mentioned the bank account was in the name of SG and AHAR. They said that was very bad practice. AHAR say they have new new separate account now but I ask are the paypal account in the name of AHAR now going to the new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

It's one thing trying to create some online confusion and Suzanne Gibbons might have some success in maintaining credibility outside Kerry, but inside the county when it comes to word of mouth, things ain't looking too good for her.
    Since primetime I've met three people who know her well and had a lot of business dealings with her at some point in the last ten years.
    They work as a Vet, Dairy Farmer, and Horse riding instructor and all three had Nothing good to say about her treatment of animals only stories about horses not being fed and moved into fields where she was supposed to bring fodder but didn't, often for days at a time.
    Now! maybe I made all this up, I wouldn't be taking the word of some random poster, maybe I'm part of the online witch-hunt so the best thing to do is ask around because it's quiet likely you know someone who knows what she's all about.
    She is done!!
    A million euros and no answers:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

It's one thing trying to create some online confusion and Suzanne Gibbons might have some success in maintaining credibility outside Kerry, but inside the county when it comes to word of mouth, things ain't looking too good for her.
    Since primetime I've met three people who know her well and had a lot of business dealings with her at some point in the last ten years.
    They work as a Vet, Dairy Farmer, and Horse riding instructor and all three had Nothing good to say about her treatment of animals only stories about horses not being fed and moved into fields where she was supposed to bring fodder but didn't, often for days at a time.
    Now! maybe I made all this up, I wouldn't be taking the word of some random poster, maybe I'm part of the online witch-hunt so the best thing to do is ask around because it's quiet likely you know someone who knows what she's all about.
    She is done!!
    A million euros and no answers:eek::eek::eek:

yes , she is well known in Kerry and nobody has anything good to say with years, she has given people she had dealings with a rough time, it was only a matter of time before it would all come out, but if they want her out Ahar has to be shut down because she wont go without a fight and is fairly ruthless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I'm actually really unimpressed by this whole thing. I'm a big supporter of animal rescues, have visited said rescue twice when I was down in Kerry and felt everything was in good nick, BETTER than many other rescues might I add. I'm not a regular of the rescue though so don't know much outside of my own experience.I visited a page once to "expose" this rescue where a number of people were discussing whether or not their was a boot in a picture of a boat. I follow neither of the pages on FB though, as I am not from Kerry but am just generally interested in animal rescues.

I can't really grasp the whole thing, the CRA are investigating and the rescue have been given a period of time to get things in order, if they do than the matter will be resolved. What is the purpose of all this he/said she said, the manager this, the manager that on this thread? This is an investigation into accounts and transperancy for a charity as was outlined on CB live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's a good bit beyond financials.
    If you have a goodish knowledge of rescues, you know their not paid for.

A number of people who had got animals from this rescue, clearly showed, that they were not suitable to have been discharged from a rescue.

Classic, little to see here, move on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The manager is relevant as she forces herself to the forefront of the rescue and demands attention and to be constantly admired and told his great she is. Every post is ended "love Susanne xx" other rescues and charities don't act like they are owned by one person, and that is why she is the focus of conversation.

Have a look at their facebook page today, she has spent all day putting up messages of support. On a charity page about animal rescue she has used it to focus attention solely on herself and how great she is and all her good deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have made no personal reference in relation to the CEO.

If the CEO has the best interests of AHAR and animal rescue at heart she would step down.

The manager is relevant as she forces herself to the forefront of the rescue and demands attention and to be constantly admired and told his great she is. Every post is ended "love Susanne xx" other rescues don't act like they are owned by one person, other charities don't act like they are owned by one person and that is why she us the focus of conversation.
    [/B]
    Have a look at their facebook page today, she has spent all day putting up messages of support. On a charity page about animal rescue she has used it to focus attention solely on herself and how great she is and all her good deeds.

That is your opinion, I don't know the manager and so won't be making any statements, again I think discussing the manager is unfair and irrelevant to the whole debacle, my opinion.

I am interested in transparency and animal welfare as I say I'm not interested in learning about this woman or scrolling through FB pages.

Water John wrote: »
    I have made no personal reference in relation to the CEO.

If the CEO has the best interests of AHAR and animal rescue at heart she would step down.

I wasn't referring to you personally Water John, the thread in general.

I'm assuming if the rescue can't go forward after the CRA investigation it would be disbanded, no? As far as I know that's what usually happens, then the charity usually reopens with a new name, fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

222233 wrote: »
    That is your opinion, I don't know the manager and so won't be making any statements, again I think discussing the manager is unfair and irrelevant to the whole debacle, my opinion.

I am interested in transparency and animal welfare as I say I'm not interested in learning about this woman or scrolling through FB pages.
    Why? Isn't the manager the one that is in charge of the funds and the running of this place?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Why?

For me anyway her personal life, qualities, friends etc have nothing to do with her position as a manager. That's the way I feel about every situation where an individual is in the spotlight, their personal life is irrelevant really, it's just opinion and speculation.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Isn't the manager the one that is in charge of the funds and the running of this place?

I have no idea what the current situation is, according to CB Live she was in charge of funds but a new account has been opened which is authorised only under the signatory of two execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

222233 wrote: »
    I am interested in transparency

Fair enough, then what about the censorship that her "army" are causing on FB? Any post about this story seem to disappear. I mentioned this in an earlier post.

At least in boards, the mods are allowing free and open discussion, whether it be factual, speculative, correct or incorrect, at least people are able to discuss the matter here.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, then what about the censorship that her "army" are causing on FB? Any post about this story seem to disappear. I mentioned this in an earlier post.

At least in boards, the mods are allowing free and open discussion, whether it be factual, speculative, correct or incorrect, at least people are able to discuss the matter here.

I'm not following on FB so I can't comment, when you say censorship I'm not really sure what you mean?

Advertisement