Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne live - AHAR

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

222233 wrote: »
    I'm not following on FB so I can't comment, when you say censorship I'm not really sure what you mean?

If FB get enough reports of a particular post, they will remove it. AHAR has an "army" of very experienced Social Media types who seem to have done so. My OH has just re-posted the link to the Claire Byrne show and I'll wait to see if it disappears again. I'll report back.

I've had a scroll through my news feed this evening and there are a LOT of supporting posts from their supporters and nothing that I can see negative. So there is nothing on FB showing (a) a link to the show or (b) any negative commentary about AHAR. It is all positive and supportive. This is what I mean by censorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

That is your opinion, I don't know the manager and so won't be making any statements, again I think discussing the manager is unfair and irrelevant to the whole debacle, my opinion.

I am interested in transparency and animal welfare as I say I'm not interested in learning about this woman or scrolling through FB pages.

It's not my opinion she promotes being the most important part of the rescue. If you watched the programme she herself said its all about her so saying it isn't and is unfair to discuss her is slightly ludicrous. I'm not trying to talk down to you but it isn't possible to discuss one without the other.

You can't really decide you only want to know x about something when y is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've been following this story for a long time and doing a bit of digging. What's clear is the animals deserve better.

Anyone who posts any questions about AHAR is blocked and deleted pretty sharpish.

The whole Army, my army, little drummer girl stuff is just embarrassing and has no place in a reputable charity.

People have put up posts asking about animals which are never responded to, but every donation is responded to.

The stories about the fairs, backstreet breeders, the meat man, the blue rope people are dramas manufactured to get money.

The person who made a huge donation of 324,000 is now no longer supporting AHAR which is very telling.

The threatening phone calls are scary. I've also read some posts she's put up late at night which could only be described as self pitying ramblings.

As someone else said, if she really cared about the welfare of the animals, she would step aside in their best interest. At least in the interim.

But it's not about the animals, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

Surely if she is buying animals and then exporting them or taking a donation when they are removed here in Ireland that's a business - not a charity? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

For me anyway her personal life, qualities, friends etc have nothing to do with her position as a manager. That's the way I feel about every situation where an individual is in the spotlight, their personal life is irrelevant really, it's just opinion and speculation.

Really? You think her qualities are irrelevant to her position as manager! I'm 100% certain that it's the only thing relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

anewme wrote: »
    I've been following this story for a long time and doing a bit of digging. What's clear is the animals deserve better.

Anyone who posts any questions about AHAR is blocked and deleted pretty sharpish.

The whole Army, my army, little drummer girl stuff is just embarrassing and has no place in a reputable charity.

People have put up posts asking about animals which are never responded to, but every donation is responded to.

The stories about the fairs, backstreet breeders, the meat man, the blue rope people are dramas manufactured to get money.

The person who made a huge donation of 324,000 is now no longer supporting AHAR which is very telling.

The threatening phone calls are scary. I've also read some posts she's put up late at night which could only be described as self pitying ramblings.

As someone else said, if she really cared about the welfare of the animals, she would step aside in their best interest. At least in the interim.

Does anyone know who the main sponsor was ?

I have posted this earlier on the thread. I really usually can pick out the scumbags eg paul kelly in console. But I really still have no idea who is wrong in this case. Which is sad for me as innocent animals with NO VOICE Is what we are discussing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

If FB get enough reports of a particular post, they will remove it. AHAR has an "army" of very experienced Social Media types who seem to have done so. My OH has just re-posted the link to the Claire Byrne show and I'll wait to see if it disappears again. I'll report back.

I've had a scroll through my news feed this evening and there are a LOT of supporting posts from their supporters and nothing that I can see negative. So there is nothing on FB showing (a) a link to the show or (b) any negative commentary about AHAR. It is all positive and supportive. This is what I mean by censorship.

There is the AHAR page and an AHAR exposed page also AHAR exposers exposed page. Lots of vitriol on both sides. I just hope the end result is the animals getting the best care possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thread closed pending further review and to allow hot heads to cool off a little

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Okay, lets open this again, with the proviso that we discuss not bicker, dont get personal, dont lose the cool.
    Any breaches of this and the local mods will issue infractions/bans and delete this thread.

Please look at the image below, marvel at it's simplicity and stick to the top of the triangle. Aim high.

UzIc0Vv.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Has there been any further developments on the investigation from CB Live last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

The CRO has given them 4 weeks to clean up their books.There's been a good few articles in the various newspapers following up with facts on the cruelty and neglect going on at AHAR .I have a few links and the picture attached shows an article in the sunday mail.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0117/845495-charities-regulator-ahar/
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/call-for-ahar-charity-status-to-be-revoked-35375867.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I've been following this story for a long time and doing a bit of digging.  What's clear is the animals deserve better.

Anyone who posts any questions about AHAR  is blocked and deleted pretty sharpish.

The threatening phone calls are scary.   I've also read some posts she's put up late at night which could only be described as self pitying ramblings.

As someone else said, if she really cared about the welfare of the animals, she would step aside in their best interest.  At least in the interim.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

On the Facebook page of people trying to expose AHAR another ex volunteer is doing post after post of "exposes". While I sympathise I find myself wishing they would dial it back a notch. Neither "side" will ever be completely honest. In saying that if even a tenth of it is true it would be quite worrying.

Suzanne Gibbons gave an interview in the Kerryman last week too with her side of the story.

I've been following this story for a long time and doing a bit of digging.  What's clear is the animals deserve better.

Anyone who posts any questions about AHAR  is blocked and deleted pretty sharpish.

The threatening phone calls are scary.   I've also read some posts she's put up late at night which could only be described as self pitying ramblings.

As someone else said, if she really cared about the welfare of the animals, she would step aside in their best interest.  At least in the interim.

Yes.
    Who. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

cyning wrote: »
    On the Facebook page of people trying to expose AHAR another ex volunteer is doing post after post of "exposes". While I sympathise I find myself wishing they would dial it back a notch. Neither "side" will ever be completely honest. In saying that if even a tenth of it is true it would be quite worrying.

Suzanne Gibbons gave an interview in the Kerryman last week too with her side of the story.

I tried to follow the back and forth on Fb over the past week, I am more confused now than ever. I found it hard to find information that I felt was relevant and than dissect fact from opinion as there was so many different discussions going on, on both pages, I personally felt I was reading strings of conversations but again I am not up to date with either page, so it's understandable as an outsider looking on I would be confused.

Any updates regarding the CRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just coming back on this - the post that my OH put up that time was still there days later, so it seems that things had calmed down a lot, and there was no more evidence of censorship that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Rte have done an update on the report

In January, RTÉ Investigates exposed misleading fundraising techniques, a lack of financial transparency and animal welfare concerns at Kerry-based charity Animal Heaven Animal Rescue (AHAR). In this follow-up, we look again at AHAR and its fundraising methods, in particular “Code Reds” which are typically emergency call outs to donors to raise funds to buy animals allegedly in danger. We speak to two key former members of the AHAR team.

AHAR update https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2017/0314/859742-ahar-update/

Advertisement