Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results 2017

Options
  • 16-01-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

This may or may not take off, but it's just an idea to hopefully generate some consistent debate on the forum. Just post a link to the results of any TI sanctioned event that takes place in 2017 and pass a quick comment or two on the results. If any boardsies participated in the race, then let's hope they don't mind us critiquing their performance.

I'll start it with Naas Duathlon Series - Race 1
    http://naastriclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Galco-Naas-Duathlon-Series-2017-Race-1-Results.pdf

Paul Carroll was a convincing winner in the men's race. I don't remember seeing his name in results for a while, but in setting a course record on his way to the win he obviously hasn't lost any of his prowess.

Whereas the women's race was a lot closer. Interesting to see a 1 minute penalty beside the second place finisher. She lost by 9 lost out on top spot by 9 seconds, so it's this that cost her the win.

rodneyr1981 from these parts also racing. It wasn't a bad showing and he finished in 7th place, just 1:48 off the podium. He'll get there soon enough I'm sure. He'd the fastest T1, so he obviously meant business.
    PK raced as well, obviously keeping his powder dry for another day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Nice to have a blow out to see where you're at.
    Bike needs some work and happy with run considering weight.

From taking to Paul and his wife post race was interesting to hear his approach to training. Hugh fan of the long turbo. Was powerful on bike and had damage done by half way.

Well run by naas Tri club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good conditions for the race but Paul Carroll must be flying, few years back Cathal O'Donovan (think that was his name) was cleaning up on the duathlon series. Remember seeing him at a race in Naas and after 500m he had opened around 80m on the rest of the group, including Paul Carroll, think he had both fastest run splits and either top or second bike split. Looked unbeatable. For Carroll to beat his time, on the same course means he must be flying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

zico10 wrote: »

rodneyr1981 from these parts also racing. It wasn't a bad showing and he finished in 7th place, just 1:48 off the podium. He'll get there soon enough I'm sure. He'd the fastest T1, so he obviously meant business.

he won't blow his own trumpet, so i'll do it for him, he's already podiumed, did it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

joey100 wrote: »
    Good conditions for the race but Paul Carroll must be flying, few years back Cathal O'Donovan (think that was his name) was cleaning up on the duathlon series. Remember seeing him at a race in Naas and after 500m he had opened around 80m on the rest of the group, including Paul Carroll, think he had both fastest run splits and either top or second bike split. Looked unbeatable. For Carroll to beat his time, on the same course means he must be flying.

Exceptional to beat the course record considering the duathlon series has been running for 11 years and some serious talent has shown up over that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Just signed up for the 2nd race, 3k run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Just signed up for the 2nd race, 3k run?

First run is about 3.1k and second is 3.3/3.4k. Bike is slighty short about 19.3ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

First run is about 3.1k and second is 3.3/3.4k. Bike is slighty short about 19.3ish.

Ah, I thought the 2nd run times looked a little odd alright. Thanks

joey100 wrote: »

Was Cathal picked up by a semi pro cycling club?? Thought i heard he was having hip issues preventing him from running. Was cleaning up the duathlons at the time.
    Regarding Paul it just shows age is only a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Think he went to aquablue alright for a while but no idea where he is now. Strange run style but the closest anyone got to him on that race was the first 5 seconds, after that it was a race for 2nd. Seriously fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Whereas the women's race was a lot closer. Interesting to see a 1 minute penalty beside the second place finisher. She lost by 9 lost out on top spot by 9 seconds, so it's this that cost her the win.

I wish they would state the reason why she was penalized the minute, a mandate from TI that penalties must be publicly explained would perhaps help reduce the amount of these penalties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

catweazle wrote: »
    I wish they would state the reason why she was penalized the minute, a mandate from TI that penalties must be publicly explained would perhaps help reduce the amount of these penalties

I hardly think it matters, seeing penalties being handed out at all should be deterrent enough. Everybody doing a race should make it their business to know the rules and athletes acknowledge as much by signing up. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence and this is doubly true at the front end of proceedings. Just don't break any rules if you take part in a race, not just the ones you are most likely to be penalised for.

I agree Zico however if this penalty was for instance for something like where they didn't fully dismount their bike on time that could be down to lack of concentration or a stupid mistake which in my view is very different to somebody being caught for drafting.
    I assume a lot us automatically assumed this is for drafting. I have no idea if it was or not but the clarity would avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

seeing penalties being handed out at all should be deterrent enough.

Punishment without education as to what is wrong achieves nothing.
    Everybody doing a race should make it their business to know the rules and athletes acknowledge as much by signing up. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence and this is doubly true at the front end of proceedings. Just don't break any rules if you take part in a race, not just the ones you are most likely to be penalised for.

Fully agreed with the point here however with less people going the club route & learning through peer based knowledge similar to the other thread not everyone has time to go through all the rules or even more pertinent - understanding how the rules are applied.

A simple statement of

"This is Mary.

Mary got penalised for not using a towel.

Don't be a Mary"

means everyone learns and more importantly an opportunity for TI to produce a link to the relevant rule so the next batch don't have the excuse of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

sconhome wrote: »
    or even more pertinent - understanding how the rules are applied.

I think this is key in even sport.....although rules are supposed to be written in black and white they are usually written in grey leading to many differing interpretations and invariably don't cater for all eventualities..... so it is important to see a consistency of interpretations.

What can causes problems is that if person who was pulled this week loses out on a podium next week to a competitor who isn't penalized for the same infraction....there needs to be a consistency of interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Fully agreed with the point here however with less people going the club route & learning through peer based knowledge similar to the other thread not everyone has time to go through all the rules or even more pertinent - understanding how the rules are applied.

A simple statement of

"This is Mary.

Mary got penalised for not using a towel.

Don't be a Mary"

means everyone learns and more importantly an opportunity for TI to produce a link to the relevant rule so the next batch don't have the excuse of ignorance.

Everyone got penalised because Mary didn't use a towel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I agree Zico however if this penalty was for instance for something like where they didn't fully dismount their bike on time that could be down to lack of concentration or a stupid mistake which in my view is very different to somebody being caught for drafting.
    I assume a lot us automatically assumed this is for drafting. I have no idea if it was or not but the clarity would avoid this.

It wasnt for a mount/dismount infringement. I believe it was for drafting.

They certainly are very different, but rules are rules. It's a dismount line, not a dismount general area, get both feet on the ground before you cross the line, or accept the penalties. There's no point in whinging about the fact the rule mightn't have been enforced at another race the previous week. I'd hope the punishment for drafting is more severe than other infractions, but that's not the issue here.

I wouldn't have any issue with the reasons for penalties being made public, but I'm sure the athlete in question knows why she was penalised. I'd find it hard to believe the this was the case here, but if somebody enters a race and are unaware of the rules, they've only themselves to blame. Whatever someone's pathway into the sport, when they enter a race, do they not sign a waiver saying they are aware of and happy to abide by the rules? The clarity of the explanations might differ, but I'm pretty sure the rule on drafting has been explained at every triathlon or duathlon I've participated in. If you're a newbie to the sport and you don't understand the rules, then would be a good time to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you are fake news ;-0
    no course record it was
    Iam pretty sure cathal went sub 52 but this will do
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/running-in-flying-form-at-the-butchers-block-duathlon-29937538.html
    This may or may not take off, but it's just an idea to hopefully generate some consistent debate on the forum. Just post a link to the results of any TI sanctioned event that takes place in 2017 and pass a quick comment or two on the results. If any boardsies participated in the race, then let's hope they don't mind us critiquing their performance.

I'll start it with Naas Duathlon Series - Race 1
    http://naastriclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Galco-Naas-Duathlon-Series-2017-Race-1-Results.pdf

Paul Carroll was a convincing winner in the men's race. I don't remember seeing his name in results for a while, but in setting a course record on his way to the win he obviously hasn't lost any of his prowess.

PK raced as well, obviously keeping his powder dry for another day.

peter kern wrote: »
    you are fake news ;-0
    no course record it was
    Iam pretty sure cathal went sub 52 but this will do
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/running-in-flying-form-at-the-butchers-block-duathlon-29937538.html

Looking at where 3rd place finished this year, we'll presume that was very fast day. :)

I merely reported what was on TI's site. I assumed the national governing body would have done their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would say sunday was a fast day.and faster than that day cathal did 52. and as i say am pretty sure cathal did 51 but since the irish triathlon website seems to be gone its so much harder to find race results from the past.

Id advise you dont be naive and double check , its not the first error i have noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

Ha this is just like a pool session watching Zico10 and peter debating.
    I get to see it when i'm at the end of the pool taking my naps ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

peter kern wrote: »

anyway i guess this should all be deleted as this thread about race results could be a good one.

thanks Peter, was in the process of doing it when you posted this.

Guys, keep it on topic. Zico has a log where you can dissect his approaches/training/results at will. do it over there. i've moved the posts about zico's ability over there.

keep the thread to the topic in the title or it's easier to just lock it down. and the bickering is going to get deleted anyway.

jackyback, your post was spot on but needed to be cleaned with the rest, sorry about that. innocent victim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Provisional results from the Tri Lakes Knockma Duathlon at the weekend are here.

Another good performance from rodneyr1981 at this Duathlon Series event. On the podium too. Congrats. :)

Conditions were great on the day.

Great course but if racing up and down a hill should prob train going up and down a hill..
    Not as strong a field as Naas but i guess not as many people are going to travel out west for NS points.
    Ran well, bike wasn't great.
    Had to dig deep on final run to catch and pass 4th & 5th. Long way off 1st and 2nd but i'll take the positives.

Very well organised race by Tri Lakes TC and the first run is def something different..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Whats the story with the Triathlonireland site, I was looking for these results and it looks like they don't even have their results system set up yet for 2017

http://triathlonireland.com/Events/Race-Results/

Had to dig deep on final run to catch and pass 4th & 5th.

It doesn't take away from his race at all, but it was speedy transitions that allowed rodney1981 do this. T1 and T2 combined; he was 13 seconds quicker than 4th place and 31 seconds quicker 5th. The gaps he had on them at the finish was only 6 seconds and 12 seconds respectively. The clock is still running and rodney's result highlights just how important transitioning quickly can be.

Speedy changes are certainly not my forte, but on the rare occasions it has happened, being the quickest in transition is nearly more satisfying than having the quickest bike or run split.

Agreed 100%. The difference between 1st and 2nd was only 1 sec with diff in T1/T2 being 14 sec.
    My point more referred to them initially stretching the gap on the run but had they been quicker it could have changed everything especially with the second run only being 2.4km.

Not sure id agree regarding having the quickest bike or run split but everyone to their own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well done, I'd say it's nice to get on the podium especially this early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Another podium for rodney in Ballinrobe at the weekend. He's on a streak :)

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Another podium for rodney in Ballinrobe at the weekend. He's on a streak :)

As per zicos previous comments T1&T2 splits even more telling here.
    A lot easier to change footwear than take 30-40 secs off bike or run..

Loosing buckets of time to better bikers too. No real upper end speed.

Advertisement