Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Good stuff, we could rename the thread "rodneyr1981's 2017 results". It was another good showing from you, well done. At first glance it certainly might appear as if you lost time to stronger bikers, but there weren't too many people in the race who put in a better second run than you. It's not all about the bike and burying yourself on the cycle is not always the wisest thing to do.

There seemed to be a good turnout at this race; 300+ finishers. Is this typical for this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

zico10 wrote: »
    There seemed to be a good turnout at this race; 300+ finishers. Is this typical for this race?

These races attract large numbers alright. Padraig Marrey runs them and is very well known particularly in cycling circles in the West and nationally too. This event is part of the Ireland West Duathlon series, 4 races I believe - Claremorris, Knockma, Ballinrobe and Cong I believe. They attracts a lot of cyclists from Galway and Mayo too. Padraig is a bit of a marketing machine and gets very good attendances at his events. He also organises training groups around Ballinrobe for people that want to target the duathlon series.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

This race was also a non-TI race so need for Annual/ODL licences which may have appealed to some.

http://chipit.ie/naas-race-2-results-4/

Naas rd 2 results up. (3rd rd NS)

First 2 men over the line DQ'd. I believe for crossing white line.

First 2 men over the line DQ'd. I believe for crossing white line.

I saw their names at the end of the results sheet. Still had 'winners' beside both their names, no mention of a DQ for either athlete. I'd assumed it had something to do with being in the Intervarsity Champs. Report up on Ti's site and they've named someone else as the winner of the Intervarsity Champs, no mention of either of the other two athletes being DQed.

Bar Emmet Kelly moving from 3rd to 1st on the podium, and Paul Carroll dropping to 2nd, there was a lot of people moving up and down elsewhere on the results sheet. Peter reported it as being a wet day in his log, and that this would have negated otherwise faster conditions for the cycle. It's hard to find evidence of this in his bike splits over race 1 and race 2; there are many others with similar improvements to Peter's. Then the opposite is the case for plenty more. I guess the conclusion to draw from this is that some people ride better in the wet than others.

Was racing this ever part of your plans, rodney?

• Advertisement

Nope have 2 NS series races done so prob just nationals and maybe banner as localish.
    Regarding nationals did a recce of bike course last weekend. On secondary roads some which are narrow enough. Could be a bit dangerous if traffic not managed..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think it also depends on the cycles atheltes are some start to train in september some in november .
    ie the duathlon focus guys you would expect to improve less than the triathlon guys who are preparing for june and not for march.
    some people might have put in a good training block for the dua champs. like the first race winner , and some other guys might have been sick between race 1 and 2 .

if anybody struggles on this course with rain than they have a serious issue its just 5 cornners where you might have to go a tiny bit slower but if you use the breaks more than 5 times on that course even in the rain its no good.
    pity for the 2 dq s , I think cathal was still a bit faster but Con s 2nd run was i think the fastest ever and i think kierans first run was also the fastest first run ever on the course.

also a sub 1 hour female time is good ( i think we have seen this only 3 times before and its does make you a podium contender at the dua champs.
    interstingly both nat dua champs were racing last weekend and the female champ was only 3 min behind the male champ.

also a  sub  1  hour female time is good  ( i think we have  seen this only  3  times  before and its  does make you a  podium  contender at the  dua  champs.
    Strong runner who has put a lot of effort and time into the bike over last 1/2 years. Good to see it starting to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

talking aobut strong runner the intervariary female winner was fast running
    and a quick check showed a 9.46 3k time a couple of weeks ago and i think there is loads of improvement there ( especially run technique wise )

peter kern wrote: »
    i think it also depends on the cycles atheltes are some start to train in september some in november .
    ie the duathlon focus guys you would expect to improve less than the triathlon guys who are preparing for june and not for march.
    some people might have put in a good training block for the dua champs. like the first race winner , and some other guys might have been sick between race 1 and 2 .

Most definitely and it's impossible to know where everybody is in their training cycle. You could very easily read too much into these early season duathlon results and I'd suspect for most, they're not a priority. But it's something to talk about at least.
    if anybody struggles on this course with rain than they have a serious issue its just 5 cornners where you might have to go a tiny bit slower but if you use the breaks more than 5 times on that course even in the rain its no good.

There are many people with serious issues out there and I'd include myself in that. I like to think I'd have coped much better with a wet duathlon course in Naas than with a wet course in Kenmare, but the rain still would have been a bigger issue for me than it would have been for you. Comparing bike splits between guys who did both races would suggest it's a similar story for others as well.
    interstingly both nat dua champs were racing last weekend and the female champ was only 3 min behind the male champ.

Here are the results to this race;
    http://chipit.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Setanta-Duathlon-race-1-2017.pdf

It was fairly impressive showing by Heather Foley; over 3½ minutes ahead of the 2nd place is a fairly comprehensive victory.

It was McCrystal's first outing of the year, as far as I am aware, and he raced it on a normal road bike, which would make you wonder how seriously he was taking it.

• Advertisement

http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=250&culture=en-US

Results from yesterday's duathlon in Tramore. It was a wild and windy day according to reports.

Probably no surprise to see local triathlete, Kieran Jackson, winning the men's race. He comfortably extended his lead on 2nd place over each leg, finishing the race with the fastest first run, fastest T1, fastest cycle and fastest second run. He was also only one second away from matching the fastest time in T2. I really believe how quickly you get through transition shows your mindset when it comes to racing and this is clear evidence of that.
    Emmet Kelly followed on from his victory in Naas by coming second. No shame in that, considering who was ahead of him.

The women's race played out differently. The winner, Dena Hogan, was 15 seconds down on the eventual runner-up, Niamh Richardson, after the first run leg. After almost identical bike splits, Dena Hogan only took the lead on the second run and ran this leg 27 seconds quicker than Niamh. Kudos on the pacing.

Advertisement