Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period for bill pay whit a phone

Options
  • 16-01-2017 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I signed up to a 24 month contract with Vodafone in store with a new free smart phone as part of the plan.
    I got it on Thursday today being Monday 16th Jan 2017. I am still within the cooling off period.
    The network reception is bad and I sometimes have no reception at all.
    The guy in the store opened and set up the phone I didn't ask him to.
    Where do I stand as I would like to cancel contract and return phone.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Consumer Issues

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mcontv

I signed up to a 24 month contract with Vodafone in store with a new free smart phone as part of the plan.
    I got it on Thursday today being Monday 16th Jan 2017. I am still within the cooling off period.
    The network reception is bad and I sometimes have no reception at all.
    The guy in the store opened and set up the phone I didn't ask him to.
    Where do I stand as I would like to cancel contract and return phone.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Thought the cooling off period only applies to distance selling, not instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

You probably should have stopped him before he opened the phone. As far as I'm aware, once the phone is out of the packaging, you cannot return unless faulty. If you had of bought it online then it would be a different story.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved from Information Security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Duplicate threads merged.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What relevance is the store guy opening the phone? Surely it would be impossible to realise that the network coverage is extremely poor without having first used the phone? I would link up with Vodafone first, it would be quite unusual to live in an area where there was non existant VF mobile coverage, usually that would fare even worse for other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

I had the same experience with Vodafone a number of years ago. I had just bought the phone when i moved house. No coverage.( Apparently the nearest mast was taken down because there was no planning permission.) While they strung me out for a few months they eventually cancelled the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Vodafone offer a network guarantee, look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

the cooling off period expires as soon as you use any of the phone or data services.
    If the network at your main residence is bad then just keep ringing them and ask for a manager and a complaint number (you many need to be firm, they don't like to give them out!) and then you will get to speak to a person in Ireland who may be able to offer you some sort of deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you contacted their technical support, they' will want to trouble shoot where you claim to have no reception. You need to do that ASAP before you go near the shop, your really looking for tech support to agree with your unacceptable coverage before you'll be allowed break the contract without penalty.
    I don't fancy your chances as you would have called tech support already if your reception was that bad from the start.
    It's the phone and contract you really have an issue with so contact customer care and stick to your guns saying you want out. If you tell them it's coverage they will try and fix that or prove it's not as bad as you say. Don't say the plan doesn't suit either as they'll have a plan that will.
    You can't just say you don't like the phone as that's your own fault for buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

See about half-way down the page here:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/network/

You have 30 days to return the phone if you have issues under the "Network Satisfaction Guarantee".

It has to go back to the shop you originally bought it in and you have to have the original box it came in along with the all the in-box accessories.

Advertisement