Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Lambda fail (screenshot)

Options
  • 17-01-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not great with cars so any help would be great. My 02 Corolla petrol failed nct on emissions (lambda) today. The guy said it could be burning oil. I know it has been burning a little bit ever since I remember but it never failed on emissions before. I didn't give it a good spin before the test like I usually did before, should I go to a garage or just drive it hard and try a re-test? Here is the nct read: Thanks

https://postimg.org/image/prtbb7jhf/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try adding Redex to the petrol and driving it hard and then retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

I added STP petrol treatment 2 days before the test, that's pretty much the same thing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sean29 wrote: »
    I added STP petrol treatment 2 days before the test, that's pretty much the same thing isn't it?

Yes it would be.

When was the car last serviced with the spark plugs and air filter changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

It was last serviced in Oct 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Service in Oct 2015? That's 15 months ago. For older cars get service once a year at least.

Open the air filter box and have a look. The filter should look fresh with no debris in filter or in box.

Look at oil dipstick, is there any white/yellow discolourations on it?

Look at coolant, is it nice and brightly coloured?

It could be the catalytic converter but it is probably worth it to get car serviced with new oil/oil filter and air filter anyway. If you can do it yourself it shouldn't be very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Check your exaust for leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BHP

sean29 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not great with cars so any help would be great. My 02 Corolla petrol failed nct on emissions (lambda) today. The guy said it could be burning oil. I know it has been burning a little bit ever since I remember but it never failed on emissions before. I didn't give it a good spin before the test like I usually did before, should I go to a garage or just drive it hard and try a re-test? Here is the nct read: Thanks

https://postimg.org/image/prtbb7jhf/

It failed on High Idle CO (Carbon Monoxide) at 0.66. The limit is 0.30.
    Look at the report again.
    The Lambda passed at 1.01 which was between the limit of 0.97 - 1.03
    So probably not a leaky exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Your car didn't fail on the lambda OP it failed on the co reading, your car is actually running slightly lean (1.01 lambda) which should reduce the co value in your favour but because you have still failed its very likely your cat is on the way out! Burning oil will slowly reduce the effectiveness of the cat

Advertisement