Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Sports Website and cant think of a good name! NEED HELP

• 17-01-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello everyone, Im currently building a website for Worldwide Sports News and have been thinking non-stop about names and cant figure out one that I like. The ones I do like the .com of the domain has been took.

Anyone got any name suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think what you mean is that all the good names are already gone ;) so you are probably into a makeeee-upeeeee name.

hmnnnnn....... makeeeee upeeee but how about

sportsient.com

(a mixture of sports and sentient) - domain is available - 99c/year 2 or more years with godaddy

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Without knowing what you've already come up with and discounted, it's hard to help.

Put together a few lists of keywords, separated by purpose... e.g. three lists of synonyms (use Thesaurus online) for each of:

World
    Sport
    News

Then try any combination of two or three together to make something catchy - and available. You'll be lucky to find anything on .com though with generic terms, in reality.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Given the nature of the website you will also need to secure the social media handles so going with something less obvious and more towards a catchy made up name or play on words is probably going to give you better results. A lot of websites have also adopted adding small words ahead of the domain they wanted for example 'we are' so the domain becomes 'wearedomain.com'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A website like nametumbler can help you here too

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Axwell wrote: »
    Given the nature of the website you will also need to secure the social media handles so going with something less obvious and more towards a catchy made up name or play on words is probably going to give you better results. A lot of websites have also adopted adding small words ahead of the domain they wanted for example 'we are' so the domain becomes 'wearedomain.com'

sportsnewsallovertheworld.com

https://ie.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?tld=.COM&isc=gofhire05&ci=99126&dpp_itc=DLP_OFFER_COM&tmskey=1dom_03&checkAvail=1&domainToCheck=sportsnewsallovertheworld.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Spews.com

frag420 wrote: »
    Spews.com
    One could at least check availability before suggesting a name.

Best I could come up with was www.sportcopy.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

wearesport .co/.blog

IamSportGuy everything available

the-sport.club (everything but .com available)

SportingtonPost everything available

world-sports .blog/.club/.co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Imsportsandsoismywife.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Caillte wrote: »
    Imsportsandsoismywife.com

lol!

Mine would be ilovesportbutmywifehatesit.com not so catchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Dades wrote: »
    One could at least check availability before suggesting a name.

Best I could come up with was www.sportcopy.com

One doesn't really care enough to check, one was just trying to help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Why not check out some of the nTLD's.... the likes of .sport .news etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BikerDude86

Thanks everyone.

I came up with one.
    Republic of Sport
    republicofsport .com

That's actually pretty good. Maybe Irish-centric but could work elsewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nice choice on the domain name. Get the .ie version too. As Irish sites are dominated by the .ie ccTLD and people seem to expect Irish focused sites to have a .ie rather than a .com extension.

If your target market is Ireland, then use a .ie domain name. If your target market is global use a .com domain name. I don't think that the new gTLDs have a high enough brand recognition for use as a primary brand. There's only 5,170 of them on Irish hosters and only 241 of them are .club.

Regards...jmcc

Over the years I've watched new domains come and go, registering quite a few along the way as well.

It's amazing how almost all of them have failed to gain any traction and sunk without a trace. The .eu domain is a prime example, with huge sums of money being spent by companies to get "their" name. How many brands now use a .eu?

I can't help but feel the new TLDs will follow suit.

I'd only be thinking in terms of .ie & .com, or maybe .co.uk if the UK is a market you're interested in. Though realistically when you promote your site - you should really focus on one single domain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

SportyMcSportface.com

I'd go for something like worldsport.tv and not worry about the .com.

Advertisement