Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race draft legal or not?

Options
  • 17-01-2017 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

The ITU AG Champs offer a choice between a draft legal Sprint, and non-draft Standard. Its a flat course, technical with some tight turns. I've never raced draft legal before. If your best discipline is the Swim, what would be the better option? I presume non-draft- anyone got any guidance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    The ITU AG Champs offer a choice between a draft legal Sprint, and non-draft Standard. Its a flat course, technical with some tight turns. I've never raced draft legal before. If your best discipline is the Swim, what would be the better option? I presume non-draft- anyone got any guidance?

If you are a decent swimmer and runner, draft legal I would think? If you are a crappy swimmer and good biker... non-draft. IMO.

Edit: If you can be out of the water with the top of the field, nice handy peleton on the bike and save yourself for the run... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I think you need to look at where your swim is in relation to others in your age group. If you think you can swim with the best of them and get out with the top group then probably draft legal would be the way to go, get around the bike with a group and it turns into a running race for positions.

Non draft is Olympic distance too so you might get more benefit from a good swim, more time in the water means more chance to put time into people. Bike and run being longer gives others time to make that back on you.

I've no idea how the groups work on the bike in the draft legal at these events or if they do even work as a group. If the groups don't work together the sprint will more than likely turn into a type of draft/no draft racing too. Experience of riding in a group would help as well, that and trusting the others in the group (harder than it sounds!).

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

What are your bike handling skills like racing at pace? Have you any road racing experience and not just sun group spins?
    You might struggle if not experienced. I remember the first few races i did i always ended up drifting back the pack due to not being able to know how to fight and hold my place. would also fall off the back on decents, corners etc. and burn up energy getting back on simply because didn't have the experience and skills required. You could end up burning up a lot of energy where some of the more experienced bikers could head onto the run much fresher.
    If you are experienced ignore all above. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

What are your bike handling skills like racing at pace? Have you any road racing experience and not just sun group spins?

Lousy, I get nervous sucking wheels as I'm not used to it. It's a big factor, no doubt. My target had been the Sprint but since it was just announced draft legal I'm having second thoughts. I could conceivable upskill, there are plenty of A4 races round these parts and the AG champs aren't until Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

Lousy, I get nervous sucking wheels as I'm not used to it. It's a big factor, no doubt. My target had been the Sprint but since it was just announced draft legal I'm having second thoughts. I could conceivable upskill, there are plenty of A4 races round these parts and the AG champs aren't until Sept.
    I'd defo enter the local race seen round here. If you can hold a good pace on your own I'd do the first round of Davidstown with the a4 and then move up to a3 in the next leagues. Some really tough club races to go to and you'll learn quick enoughthe do's and don't off the lads. There is some really good a3/a2 racers in the area.
    It would give you the experience you need and also give you a good option for the itu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd find it hard to see why you would race draft legal for the first time at an ITU AG Champs. Unless you can get a few draft legal races done before the event I think you'd be nuts to race it. After spending all the money to get there, and time training, you don;t want that event to be your first of that type IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Unless you can practice doing some open bike racing go non draft, otherwise you will be nervous in the group and wont enjoy the experience (or cause a crash)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

When do you have to decide?

pgibbo wrote: »
    When do you have to decide?

24th of March. I've looked into A4 racing- at least there would be plenty of time to get in some practice.

And its not like I've no experience of draft racing in Ireland
    :)

"Looked into a4 racing" local or open a4 racing

• Advertisement

hunter9 wrote: »
    "Looked into a4 racing" local or open a4 racing

I don't know enough about biking to know the difference between open or local.

This weekend I was talking to a guy I know in SERC, he reckoned I should join them, go the Sunday long group spins to get a feel for group riding, and the Wednesday night race league to get a feel for group racing. So I'll give that a shot and if I can't hack the Sunday rides before entry date, I'll forget it and sign up for the Oly.

I don't know enough about biking to know the difference between open or local.

So local and open racing is two different licences.
    An open licence or FULL COMPETITION LICENCE: entitles you to race any cycling ireland race in a certain category i.e a4, a3,a2 etc. you can only start at a4 and have to collect points by placing in the top 10 (if i remember correctly ) in any race , and once you collect the right amount you are upgraded to a3 and so the process repeats itself.
    Local races come under LIMITED COMPETITION LICENCE: This entitles you to race in the club leagues i.e. serc league etc. Each club holds its own league and its normally over a 5 race/week period for each club. Same as open racing where points are scored on placing and top scorer wins a prize.

I would definitely go for a spin with serc , they won't do you wrong .Theres a few ironmen among them so you wont be lost talking with them ;-)
    Just a word of warning ,if you intend to join and do some local racing , you have to sign up to the wexford league marshalling group. The lads will explain but it basically means you have to marshall at 2 races over the season or you can't race. It was set up to stop guys just turning up to race and never helping out. Draw you own conclusions on that.

Hope this helps
    P.S. it's been 2 years since i raced those leagues so things might have changed a bit

Advertisement