Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maamturks Challenge 2017

Options
  • 17-01-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

Registration for the Maamturks challenge opened last night at 7pm - it was sold out in less than three minutes. The capacity for the challenge is 200.

I remember in the not so distant past when I used to post my entry fee with a cheque and it was never full.

Thoughts on why this has become so popular in such a short period of time? More hillwalkers? More people wanting to challenge themselves?

Comments

The more people that do it, the more they talk about it, the more others want to do it. There are more folk taking to the hills as well.

It has the reputation of being the toughest one day challenge on the annual hill walking calendar, and that's pretty accurate. The Bens challenge is no more so where else are you going to get that difficult terrain, the height gain over the distance and (potentially) the most brutal of weather or the most scenic of walks. It's also, not a commercial venture.

The potential for something to go very wrong is on this challenge. It's a nightmare to navigate in bad weather so you have to limit the numbers.

Clubs and groups target this one and you could have 30+ members from a club taking it on in any one year. Fair play to them, as it takes a bit of organising to get that many fit and to have the leaders that will facilitate all levels of pace.

This year they allowed you to register 10 walkers at the one time so that'll fill it quicker. Not sure I agree with that system though. There are now challenge walkers that have done it every year that aren't getting in. The Knockmeldown Challenge is on the same day so they'll probably head down there.

PS: We all know that the holy grail of hill walking challenges is the three day one in August though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyone else here doing it this year? I managed to get in this year, and did it last back in 2013, so looking forward to some better weather than that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm having another crack at it this year - I was one of the lucky ones. I've completed it the last five years so I've experienced a mixed bag of weather. It's a tough cookie.

Did it 3 years back. Fresh from running the Wicklow Way Ultra, thought a hike would do me good. Got through a couple of hours of appalling weather, was starting to motor...and descending that notorious drop into the lake halfway through my knee folded and crack, tore cartilage. Had to hop off the range and back to car. It's very unforgiving terrain and the weather can be brutal. And I guess everyone is into pushing themselves into the extreme these days.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Anyone else here doing it this year?

I was lucky enough to get a ticket, so I hope to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I wonder if the extra PR from being nominated for the outsider.ie best event (http://outsider.ie/Outsider-Awards-Voting/best-outdoor-event) helped fill the Challenge up so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I think it's down to extreme walks becoming popular once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm having another crack at it this year - I was one of the lucky ones. I've completed it the last five years so I've experienced a mixed bag of weather. It's a tough cookie.

With or without a mammoth MTB spin afterwards? 😉

sconhome wrote: »
    With or without a mammoth MTB spin afterwards? 😉

I think this is the year to give with a go without a bike at either side of it, the bike does make it more fun though :)

• Advertisement

So, only a bit over 2 weeks to go! My team mate and I did a mammoth 36k / 2400m training walk yesterday and feel remarkably OK after it although it's difficult to completely replicate the Maamturks experience here in Wicklow, especially in terms of the steepness of the climbs. Let's just pray that the weather will be kind to us this year.

Anybody else here doing it? Only 2 sleeps to go now, and for a change the weather looks to be perfect for the day, maybe even a little too warm maybe.

Anybody else here doing it? Only 2 sleeps to go now, and for a change the weather looks to be perfect for the day, maybe even a little too warm maybe.

Very much looking forward to it especially now that the weather is looking favourable. The views will be well worth the climbs :) Roll on the Col of Despondency :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Best of luck to all taking part in or helping out on this great event . Weather forecast is good so the scenery should be spectacular ( don't forget the sun screen ) . Wasn't lucky enough to get a spot this year but hope to do it again some time .
    On a more sombre note don't forget to pause for a moment while descending Leenane hill and remember the member of our walking community who met with a tragic accident there recently. He was " one of the best " RIP .
    w200

Best of luck to all taking part in or helping out on this great event . Weather forecast is good so the scenery should be spectacular ( don't forget the sun screen ) . Wasn't lucky enough to get a spot this year but hope to do it again some time .
    On a more sombre note don't forget to pause for a moment while descending Leenane hill and remember the member of our walking community who met with a tragic accident there recently. He was " one of the best " RIP .
    w200

That's a very nice thought Blackvalley, he will most definitely be remembered.

A fantastic day, although it started a little misty, it cleared later on to some stunning views, some of the people behind me managed to snap their Brocken Spectres as the sun popped out behind the clouds for the first time.

My team mate and I finished in 13h 15m which is about 35 mins faster than last time, not earth shattering, but not bad for a 60 year old :) Biggest problem for me was dehydration, even though I drank nearly 4 litres, and had a few leg cramps as a result. Possibly would have been able to shave a bit more off that time if I hadn't had those problems.

Stewards at the last checkpoint were, quite rightly, recommending people to descend via the alternative route down to the Western Way instead of Leenane Hill which we did. Much easier if slightly longer, and at the end of a gruelling day like that, easier on the ankles and a lot safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

A fantastic day, although it started a little misty, it cleared later on to some stunning views, some of the people behind me managed to snap their Brocken Spectres as the sun popped out behind the clouds for the first time.

My team mate and I finished in 13h 15m which is about 35 mins faster than last time, not earth shattering, but not bad for a 60 year old :) Biggest problem for me was dehydration, even though I drank nearly 4 litres, and had a few leg cramps as a result. Possibly would have been able to shave a bit more off that time if I hadn't had those problems.

Stewards at the last checkpoint were, quite rightly, recommending people to descend via the alternative route down to the Western Way instead of Leenane Hill which we did. Much easier if slightly longer, and at the end of a gruelling day like that, easier on the ankles and a lot safer.

Congratulations on completing the Maamturks again.

I would respectfully suggest you do a bit of reading about the current thinking on muscle cramps.
    The old the theories about cramping being connected to dehydration have been pretty much disproved.

This site has some good info;

https://sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-i/

I would respectfully suggest you do a bit of reading about the current thinking on muscle cramps.
    The old the theories about cramping being connected to dehydration have been pretty much disproved.

This site has some good info;
    https://sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-i/
    Thanks for that link. I suspected as much myself to be honest, and have been finding other articles on the net that suggest the link with dehydration wasn't there, but didn't really offer any real scientific reasoning, or indeed solutions, other than some weird suggestions to drink "pickle juice" whatever that might be.

Thanks for that link. I suspected as much myself to be honest, and have been finding other articles on the net that suggest the link with dehydration wasn't there, but didn't really offer any real scientific reasoning, or indeed solutions, other than some weird suggestions to drink "pickle juice" whatever that might be.

The bad news is there's no categorical prevention for them!

The best guess seems to be regular stretching and resting which, on a challenge, isn't really as easy as it sounds.

I've experienced cramps on challenge walks and it's fecking horrible, ruins the enjoyment of the walk, for me anyway.

How long did your 36k 2300m training walk take last week?

The bad news is there's no categorical prevention for them!
    I kind of guessed as much while skimming through the article.
    The best guess seems to be regular stretching and resting which, on a challenge, isn't really as easy as it sounds.

I've experienced cramps on challenge walks and it's fecking horrible, ruins the enjoyment of the walk, for me anyway.
    With me it's primarily my quads that suffer, and usually on steep ascents where I may have to raise my knees up as far as or above my hips, if that makes sense. It also seems to be mainly my left leg, which also makes sense, as for some reason, despite being right handed, I seem to prefer my left leg for pushing myself up.

I do do regular stretching exercises every day when not walking, but on the occasions when I've either cramped or thought I may be about to, stretching seems to make the situation worse, or even bring about a cramp.
    How long did your 36k 2300m training walk take last week?
    About 9h45m, but had no problems then. However, the walk despite being a long one and with a decent amount of climb, there weren't many of those long steep climbs like you'd get on the Maamturks.

• Advertisement

I kind of guessed as much while skimming through the article.

With me it's primarily my quads that suffer, and usually on steep ascents where I may have to raise my knees up as far as or above my hips, if that makes sense. It also seems to be mainly my left leg, which also makes sense, as for some reason, despite being right handed, I seem to prefer my left leg for pushing myself up.

I do do regular stretching exercises every day when not walking, but on the occasions when I've either cramped or thought I may be about to, stretching seems to make the situation worse, or even bring about a cramp.

About 9h45m, but had no problems then. However, the walk despite being a long one and with a decent amount of climb, there weren't many of those long steep climbs like you'd get on the Maamturks.

My own personal view is that the cramps are caused by working the muscles longer than they are normally used to.

Your Maamturks walk was around 40 per cent longer than your most recent long training walk, that's significant.

I would love to have the time to be able to go on 10 hour walks more regularly.

Only 26 years until my retirement... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

despite being right handed, I seem to prefer my left leg for pushing myself up.

That's normal. I remember it from my high jumping days. Most people jump with their left foot (start run from right). I was in the minority jumping with my right foot.

Apparently there was a new speed record set over the weekend, in the area of 4hr40min. Does anyone know who set this?

Apparently there was a new speed record set over the weekend, in the area of 4hr40min. Does anyone know who set this?

Yes, mountain runner from Cahir, Co. Tipperary.

Hon The Premier :-)

He passed me earlier this year that last year. Very nice fella. Modest out. Delighted for him.

Also delighted for our very own Neady83 who was first woman home.

Yes, I heard that too. The previous record was 5h15m I think, but I don't know if it was the same guy or someone else.

Yes, I heard that too. The previous record was 5h15m I think, but I don't know if it was the same guy or someone else.

Same guy that set the 'new' record last year.

He passed me earlier this year that last year. Very nice fella. Modest out. Delighted for him.

Thanks GerardS :)

Some man for one man, that fell runner. I can't fathom going around the Turks in that kind of time.

Great day for it, we couldn't really have asked for better conditions on the day or leading up to it as it was solid underfoot. Just solid enough to get through it comfortably in trail runners.

Same guy that set the 'new' record last year.

Ah that's what we thought. He was flying after his (relatively) late start. Hope all enjoyed it, and those drinking out of Loch Mam Ochige weren't suffering on Sunday!!

Do you know how many people started and finished this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Advertisement