Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x11 chain vs 2x11 chain

Options
  • 17-01-2017 5:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a SRAM chain and trying to figure out the difference between the NX PC-1110 (1x11) chain and the PC1130 (2x11) chain. I know that the first is supposedly a MTB chain and the latter a road chain. Is there any real reason beyond marketing that the first option won't work well on a road groupset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It may be profiled for better shifting at larger angles that are utilised by 1x11 (10,9) setups, and perhaps bend a little bit more laterally.

I doubt you will notice a difference, I'm running 1x10 on normal MTB chains (cheap!) and haven't noticed any :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I want to use the 1x11 on a 2x11 set up. Other than maybe not being optimal for the jump at the front it should be fine as far as I can tell but thought I would ask, in case there is something more to the chain rather than the chainring to help reduce the chance of chain jumping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Doing the same thing here (just ordered up a couple of chains from Evans). From wiggle;
    The XX1 chain represents the latest breakthrough in a long line of precise, light-weight chains from SRAM. It’s designed to deliver the greatest strength and reliability to a drivetrain that doesn’t have to make compromises for front shifts.

I'm guessing this means the chain isn't designed to be pushed around so much laterally as Alek has said, and possibly doesn't have bevelled plates which makes for quieter shifting / less interference with the front mech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I want to use the 1x11 on a 2x11 set up.

I wouldn't worry - in my opinion the other way round would be less optimal, as you are unlikely to ride crosschained in 2x11, while its a norm in 1x11 and the chain is designed to take this abuse :)

Advertisement