Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung tv 40

Options
  • 17-01-2017 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Okay my sons tv ..if you plug it in and turn on the socket switch the red light comes on the tv to show there's power,then after I press the tv channel button to turn on a channel the red light starts flashing then it goes off I'm confused as I did this a few times and the same things happens each time ,any suggestions or is it not fixable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like power supply failure in the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Consumer advice is to call the place you bought it and ask them to either swap it or take a look at it.

Handyman advice however is... What model number? Has it worked before? Have you run through the troubleshooting section of the manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Sounds like power supply failure in the TV

Prob a stupid question but what's that and how would I fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Go back to where it was bought for a repair. This is a common fault with some Samsung TVs

Go back to where it was bought for a repair. This is a common fault with some Samsung TVs

Bought it second hand thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Bought it second hand thanks

In a shop, or private sale (bought from another person who was selling the TV)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

This happened to my Father's tv. It was a Samsung too. If you're anyway competent with electronics you can fix it yourself. If you take the back off (obviously disconnected from power), I bet you'll see some of the capacitors are blown. You can buy new ones for a couple of Euro and replace them. You'll need to solder them in.

If you want any advice, just ask.

These are what they look like. This is the US Amazon though.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Plasma-Capacitor-Repair-Replacement/dp/B0044J4U2W

You'll be able to see which one/s need replacing easy enough and there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

Wheety wrote: »
    This happened to my Father's tv. It was a Samsung too. If you're anyway competent with electronics you can fix it yourself. If you take the back off (obviously disconnected from power), I bet you'll see some of the capacitors are blown. You can buy new ones for a couple of Euro and replace them. You'll need to solder them in.

If you want any advice, just ask.

These are what they look like. This is the US Amazon though.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Plasma-Capacitor-Repair-Replacement/dp/B0044J4U2W

You'll be able to see which one/s need replacing easy enough and there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

Il give it a try ,where would I get a thing that solders

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not being rude, but it kinda sounds like you're not up to the job if you call it a thing that solders.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not being rude, but it kinda sounds like you're not up to the job if you call it a thing that solders.

Maybe lol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Funny you should ask :D

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=990

If you are going to brave it yourself, you could fix it for less than €20 including that soldering gun. If you haven't done it before, you should practice on something else to get used to how much and how quickly the solder turns to liquid. You only need a tiny amount. That solder looks very thick in the picture. You might need to buy a smaller one somewhere like Maplin. Watch plenty of videos before doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=replace+capacitor+on+samsung+tv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

I couldn't recommend doing this if you are not electronically inclined.
    These are electrolytic capcitor filled with nasty gunk.
    If they are put in the wrong way they will explode.
    If you create short circuits when soldering the leads you may create a fire hazard.

Advertisement