Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring reversible AC motor for automatic gate

Options
  • 17-01-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I am attempting to wire up a automatic gate system that has been laying in my garage for over 6 years. The system currently consists of motor + gearbox, underground box, flashing light and sensors. Unfortunately the distributor is no longer in business and the person that was initially going to install it is no longer about. My question at the bottom of the thread is with regards to the wiring of the reversible AC motor. I'm including pics to make my question more clear.
    Motor/gearbox/underground box:
    box.jpg
    Unfortunately the label on the motor is no longer readable.

There was a capacitor (looks like a start capacitor) in the vicinity of the box and I presume it was part of the kit:

cap.jpg

The electric cable going into the motor has the following wires: (blue, black, brown and green/yellow)
    wire.jpg
    The circuit board comes with a manual, but it does not have instructions on wiring up the motor. It does have the following circuit diagram at the back of the diagram.

circuitd.jpg

My question is:
    With regards to the wires colours coming out of the motor which ones match com/close/open.
    As I'm not sure if the diagram is relevant to the motor at hand am I safe to wire the capacitor shown above as depicted in the diagram?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Just try it and see which direction the motor goes.

Brown is most likely to be common, earth is obviously green/yellow.
    Connect black or grey to neutral and see which direction the motor goes and you'll have your answer.
    Install the capacitors as shown between open and close for the final install.

I'm assuming you are qualified and competent to do the work safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bourkg

Tks for the reply Air, well i'm qualified, competent is a matter of opinion :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would measure the resistance between the different cores. Obviously the "foward" core to common resistance should be very similar to the "reverse" to common resistance.

Advertisement