Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course award title changed

Options
  • 17-01-2017 9:33pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I completed a masters back in 2012 which was an MSc in X..since then they have changed the title of the course to be an MSc in Y..am I entitled to get an updated copy of my masters with this on it or to put down that this is the masters I have? The content of the course is the same but they have renamed it as far as I can see to focus on current trends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Afaik, you get what you got. I was awarded a BA (Music) years ago. That course now awards a B.Mus. Not sure what difference it makes...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

In your case the two are pretty much the same, in mine the MSc I got was in one area where as the title now is more broad and looks better on a CV. It would be the equivalent of you getting your BA in Guitar originally and now they give out a BA in Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Axwell wrote: »
    In your case the two are pretty much the same, in mine the MSc I got was in one area where as the title now is more broad and looks better on a CV. It would be the equivalent of you getting your BA in Guitar originally and now they give out a BA in Music.
    Funnily enough, I did get it in guitar...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Without knowing the full facts, it is quite unlikely that a course would have it's name changed without the content (structure, modules, etc.) changed.

Having said that, you got what you got when you got it. So no, you are not entitled to an updated copy of your masters certificate. If they got rid of the masters course, would you accept them revoking your masters completely? :)

Advertisement