Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepa Direct Debit Question

• 17-01-2017 9:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Just  a query on some rules & regulations.
    Last year I set up a signed a mandate for monthly payments to a company.
    Earlier this year I cancelled that mandate online and got confirmation from BOI .
    The following months continued payments were taken. Upon investigation a new mandate had been set up under a different Creditor ID and also showing a new mandate reference number.
    No new authorization was given to them from me for this.
    Are they allowed to do this with the original signed mandate even though this was cancelled?
    What information can BOI provide me as to what authorization the sent to BOI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi
    Just  a query on some rules & regulations.
    Last year I set up a signed a mandate for monthly payments to a company.
    Earlier this year I cancelled that mandate online and got confirmation from BOI .
    The following months continued payments were taken. Upon investigation a new mandate had been set up under a different Creditor ID and also showing a new mandate reference number.
    No new authorization was given to them from me for this.
    Are they allowed to do this with the original signed mandate even though this was cancelled?
    What information can BOI provide me as to what authorization the sent to BOI?
    Hi KoolKid, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

In this instance we would advise you to add the company to your "Black List". This is a list of creditors which you can add to in order to block any further payments to them. You can download this form on our website here. We would also advise you to contact the company in question to advise them that you will be stopping further payments. 

This may have occurred due to certain terms and conditions you agreed to when first signing up with the company. They may have your account details and so were able to set up the new mandate to continue the payment. If you would like this to be investigated, please raise a formal complaint and we can look into this further for you. Please see here for our Complaints process. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thank you for your reply Sarah.
    I have posted off the blacklist request along with 3 refund requests.
    My question is if they can use a previous mandate to set up a new mandate under a different name and creditor ID how does the blacklist recognize it?

Thank you for your reply Sarah.
    I have posted off the blacklist request along with 3 refund requests.
    My question is if they can use a previous mandate to set up a new mandate under a different name and creditor ID how does the blacklist recognize it?
    Hi KoolKid, 

Just to confirm, when you add a Creditor to your Black list, this will block that specific creditor ID from taking a payment. You will need to contact the company directly to have them cancel the direct debit on their side also to ensure that they do not set up another direct debit with a new Creditor ID. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have done all of that, that's the problem.
    So are you saying, if I sign a mandate with one company they can effectively pass that on to another company using a different creditor name and different creditor ID and set up a new payment mandate without requiring another authorization?
    Seems crazy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

I have done all of that, that's the problem.
    So are you saying, if I sign a mandate with one company they can effectively pass that on to another company using a different creditor name and different creditor ID and set up a new payment mandate without requiring another authorization?
    Seems crazy to me.
    Hi KoolKid,

As the mandate is signed with the company you do need to cancel it with them also.

Thanks
    Tara O

• Advertisement

Thank you Tara
    As I said above it was cancelled with them also. They are saying it was lost or missed in the change of company.
    I still find it strange that a different company with a different name & creditor ID can use an old mandate to set up a new one without any authorization from the customer.
    And even if you blacklist them they can still use another name & ID?
    I am honestly baffled,surly a new mandate requires some form of new authorization?
    Am I missing something obvious here?

Thank you Tara
    As I said above it was cancelled with them also. They are saying it was lost or missed in the change of company.
    I still find it strange that a different company with a different name & creditor ID can use an old mandate to set up a new one without any authorization from the customer.
    And even if you blacklist them they can still use another name & ID?
    I am honestly baffled,surly a new mandate requires some form of new authorization?
    Am I missing something obvious here?
    Hi Koolkid

With the SEPA Direct Debit scheme, you have rights such as claiming a refund in the instance of a dispute. If a company takes a direct debit from your account, they must have a mandate to prove that you gave your permission. We would suggest contacting the company in question, as it is the company that holds the mandate giving them permission for them to debit your account. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Tara
    I have contacted the company and am still trying to get answers from them. I know that's not your issue or your fight.
    I am just looking for answers how a mandate can be passed from one company to another or how the same mandate can be used to set up other payments after being cancelled.
    Can I ask a couple more questions please.
    What record would the bank hold from a company when a new mandate has been set up?
    How do I go about getting a copy of that information from BOI?

Hi Tara
    I have contacted the company and am still trying to get answers from them. I know that's not your issue or your fight.
    I am just looking for answers how a mandate can be passed from one company to another or how the same mandate can be used to set up other payments after being cancelled.
    Can I ask a couple more questions please.
    What record would the bank hold from a company when a new mandate has been set up?
    How do I go about getting a copy of that information from BOI?
    Hi KoolKid, 

We would have the payment history details of this direct debit mandate. You can request the details on when the direct debit was set up on your account and the payment history by sending a message through the Service Desk and the Ask a Question option when logged into 365 Online or by calling BOI Direct on 0818 365 365/ +3531 4044000 (8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends). 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Just an update on this. As expected , I received a very prompt refund on the 2 payments that were within the 2 month deadline.
    I requested a refund of a third payment that was past that period . Can I ask how would I be notified of that payment being refunded or not & what timescale is the norm for these refunds to be processed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Just an update on this. As expected , I received a very prompt refund on the 2 payments that were within the 2 month deadline.
    I requested a refund of a third payment that was past that period . Can I ask how would I be notified of that payment being refunded or not & what timescale is the norm for these refunds to be processed.
    Hi KoolKid, thanks for getting in touch.

If you’re requesting a refund of an unauthorised direct debit (after the 8 weeks and up to 13 months from the direct debit date), the refund claim is sent to the creditor for investigation and can take up to 30 calendar days.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else, thanks.
    Nicola

That's great Nicola. Would I get some sort of notification from BOI if that refund was declined or refused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

That's great Nicola. Would I get some sort of notification from BOI if that refund was declined or refused?
    Yes, if you completed the notification section on the refund request form you'll be notified when your request has been processed.

Thanks
    Nicola

Advertisement