Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Religion

Options
  • 17-01-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I do not believe in anything to do with religion. I'm sorry if this offends you in any way but it's my belief. I was just wondering, do I HAVE to do religion in school if I don't believe in it ? My school is a catholic school but I feel as though it's being somewhat forced upon me ?

I am also thinking about just not showing up on the day of the religion exam... what would happen if I didn't show up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Ialison wrote: »
    I do not believe in anything to do with religion. I'm sorry if this offends you in any way but it's my belief. I was just wondering, do I HAVE to do religion in school if I don't believe in it ? My school is a catholic school but I feel as though it's being somewhat forced upon me ?

I am also thinking about just not showing up on the day of the religion exam... what would happen if I didn't show up?
    You wouldn't get any marks and fail religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you talking about general Religion clases, which as it's a catholic school your parents would have intended you to attend, or Religious Education as an exam subject, which you do not have to subscribe to any religion to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Ialison wrote: »

I also would like to know how to opt out. My daughter gets pretty annoyed with religion as she thinks it is nonsense. It is supposed to be relatively easy to get good points but is it worth putting up with it for five years? I have to find out how she can opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

spurious wrote: »
    Are you talking about general Religion clases, which as it's a catholic school your parents would have intended you to attend, or Religious Education as an exam subject, which you do not have to subscribe to any religion to study?

In my school it's necessary to do religion as an exam subject for junior Cert. You still have no choice and have to do religion classes like every other subject from 4th year to 6th year as well although it is not an exam subject for leaving Cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't have to have any belief to do the Rel. Ed. exam. In fact, it gives you facts should you ever want to get into an argument with a sky fairy follower about it.

The school is not going to let you opt out.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    You don't have to have any belief to do the Rel. Ed. exam. In fact, it gives you facts should you ever want to get into an argument with a sky fairy follower about it.

The school is not going to let you opt out.

Are you sure about that. Is religion a compulsory subject? Does any school have the right to compel a student to attend religion class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Advbrd wrote: »
    Are you sure about that. Is religion a compulsory subject? Does any school have the right to compel a student to attend religion class?

It is a compulsory subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Respond to any question based on Jesus with an answer based on batman.

Job done

Shannon757 wrote: »
    It is a compulsory subject.
    Serious? That's nuts if that is allowed.

I that school it's not an option. A school cannot allow random students to opt in and out of classes. Their insurance companies would have a melt down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement