Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance & CI leisure membership?

Options
  • 17-01-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms...

but looking to check if its worth getting the CI cycling membership only for the insurance it contains. Am not a club biker but do a reasonable amount of road & MTB, some of it legit. Really need to know if I hit somebody or something out on a spin am i covered, its not then its fairly worthless insurance

The CI website says :

All Cycling Ireland members have personal accident and public liability insurance by virtue of their membership of Cycling Ireland. This insurance will cover you when you are out training or taking part in approved Cycling Ireland events. If you would like to be insured for training and events, you will need to join Cycling Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

the quote says you are covered !?!

if you are going to go on club runs you will need CI membership. most clubs will insist on it anyway. If you are out training you will be covered. Theres loads of old threads covering this in mind numbingly boring detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I heard a story 3rd hand of an Irish cyclist that hit a woman crossing the road in spain and was covered by CI insurance

I dont race anymore but for peace of mind i always take at least a leisure licence, better to be looking at it than looking for it.

Not a very factual response but hopefully of use

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Once you are out " training or taking part in approved Cycling Ireland events" then you are covered as described. Make sure if you have an accident, you are either taking part in an event or you are training. Since you are not in a club, it will be self determination as to what is training and what is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

thanks all, greatly appreciated - i know its a really dry boring topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

For leisure cycling outside ireland would the CI insurance cover you?

• Advertisement

jamesd wrote: »

I think you have to either ask or notify them. I done an Audax in Wales and they informed me they were covering me. For races you have to pay an additional fee but it is not on the books for leisure events. If you are training abroad as a leisure cyclist, presumably but, again, get it in writing because it is not on the website as far as i can tell. Considering you have to notify them (and possibly pay) for events that are abroad, it would be wise to have it clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Hi

a bit off topic, purchased a leisure license, got the confirmation reply and number , will CI send me out a physical license ?
    also got club membership at the same time...?

devonp wrote: »
    Hi

a bit off topic, purchased a leisure license, got the confirmation reply and number , will CI send me out a physical license ?

I could be wrong but I think they scrapped the physical license for leisure members last year, particularly due to the option of a rolling membership. You just print off the PDF and bring it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think you have to either ask or notify them. I done an Audax in Wales and they informed me they were covering me. For races you have to pay an additional fee but it is not on the books for leisure events. If you are training abroad as a leisure cyclist, presumably but, again, get it in writing because it is not on the website as far as i can tell. Considering you have to notify them (and possibly pay) for events that are abroad, it would be wise to have it clarified.

Thank you - I'll drop them a mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think if you have house insurance you could be covered. Check your policy.

To be honest I am not sure how much cover Cycling Ireland give. What are the limits of the liability. I have never received details of cover so hard to know how much value it is.

We will need it for club rides otherwise they won't let you go.

If you bring down someone in a club spin and they get badly hurt are there medical bills covered or does their health insurance come in first?

I have never seen much mentioned on here about it.

I am sure golfers have similar issues where they could hit a guy with a golf ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

jamesd wrote: »

I collided with a car a few years ago in France, CI insurance covered the car damage. I used my travel insurance for my own medical bills as I had the policy with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Isn't it just third party insurance? You hit someone they get paid/compo but that's it. You/Your bike doesn't.

Most people have better insurance via their house insurance (Obviously probably not anyone renting).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you bring down someone in a club spin and they get badly hurt are there medical bills covered or does their health insurance come in first?
    I came down in a race. Was never asked if anyone else caused it but as it was a CI race the same insurers would be involved.

I claimed initially under my PHI with only the balance claimed via CI insurance. You are covered for expenses up to a year afterwards up to €2,500. My claim was just shy of the maximum (and there was a few more grand on the PHI). I probably spent another grand or two out of my own resources either beyond the 12 months or on taxis and the like.

3rd party/public liability is to cover if you hurt someone else or damage property and the cover there is (I think) €6.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

saccades wrote: »
    Isn't it just third party insurance? You hit someone they get paid/compo but that's it. You/Your bike doesn't.

Most people have better insurance via their house insurance (Obviously probably not anyone renting).

You can probably cover your bike under house insurance. Once it is over a certain value it would need to be listed on the policy. It probably won't cover damage but theft would be covered. Even if the bike was taken while stopped for coffee on a spin they may cover you. So worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

devonp wrote: »
    Hi

also got club membership at the same time...?

Hard paper membership cards are due to issue in early January according to CI when I queried them about it back in December. There was a bit off a fuss here a year ago over plastic (racing) vs paper (leisure) but I just used a downloaded version on my phone so it was no big deal.

On the issue of having your bike(s) insured on your household policy, mine covers "loss or damage within the EU and worldwide for up to 60 days per year". It specifically excludes loss or damage where the bike is being used for racing and theft outside the home unless it is a locked building or immobilised by a security device. Interestingly, damage caused by mechanical failures or breakages is not covered.

Advertisement