Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cables to future proof electric gates

Options
  • 18-01-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Just about to lay driveway (not Tarmac but want to avoid unnecessary digging) and want to future proof for automated gates. I presume a 3 x 2.5 swa for power but what for intercom or camera? And for lights on the wall piers can I run a 4 x 2.5 swa and switch the lights from in the house and provide phase for gate and neutral for both on the same swa? Or run separate swa cable for both purposes? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

medoc wrote: »
    Just about to lay driveway (not Tarmac but want to avoid unnecessary digging) and want to future proof for automated gates. I presume a 3 x 2.5 swa for power but what for intercom or camera? And for lights on the wall piers can I run a 4 x 2.5 swa and switch the lights from in the house and provide phase for gate and neutral for both on the same swa? Or run separate swa cable for both purposes? Thanks

4x2.5swa will cover the gates and lights, and then you'll need 5pair poly/poly for the intercom etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Run 2 data cables as well so you're covered if you want to put a camera and/or data intercom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I put a couple of wavin pipes underground at strategic locations before laying the tarmac.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When sizing the cable the length of run should be considered. Even though the load is likely to be small an under sized cable will result in excessive volt drop.

There are so many ways to control lights nowadays that I do not see the advantage of switching them from the house. Therefore I would run one three core cable from the house, this could supply the gates, lights and camera.

For gates up to 100m away a 5 pair poly poly (as suggested) will work for a basic intercom. If it is longer it may be better to consider a digital intercom, these have different cabling requirements so select your intercom first. I installed one over 1km, this required 2 x 1.5 cable (this served several houses that had a shared gate).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks for replying. It's only 30m from the front of the house to the gate so would easily be under 100m allowing for running up through the duct in the cavity and across the attic etc. so basic intercom should suffice. Is a 5 pair cable plenty i.e. allowing for maybe a cctv camera or controlling lights as 2011 mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I'd run a couple of CAT5/6 as well for Home automation and surveillance?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KK4SAM wrote: »
    I'd run a couple of CAT5/6 as well for Home automation and surveillance?

Yeah, could be handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I reckon the best way to future-prove your installation is to leave a pull-rope in the piping so that you can pull in a new cable. Who knows, in a few years e could have Cat 8.

Advertisement