Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to vaping - harsh throat hit

• 18-01-2017 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I decided to give up the cigs and started vaping about a week and a half ago so popped into the E-Smoke Ireland shop here in Ennis and picked up an Eleaf iStick Power Nano. The pre-installed coil is 0.75 Ohms and it came with a 0.3 coil in the packaging also. I picked up a 10ml bottle of Liqua Menthol, 6mg. That bottle ran out today so I went and picked up a 30ml bottle of Wingnuts Fizzy Lemonade and I'm finding that it gives me a very harsh hit on the throat in comparison to the Liqua Menthol I had used previously.

I did some Googling about this and I read that e-liquid that is high in PG can give harsh throat hits so I compared the ingredients of the two and saw that the Fizzy Lemonade is 60PG/40VG, whereas the Liqua was 70/30. I also read that liquids higher in VG are thicker, but I've seen the opposite with these two liquids. The 60/40 I bought today is much more like water in terms of consistency, whereas the 70/30 was thicker and more gel-like.

So really I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice. Should I be looking at liquids that are higher in VG in order to get a vape that doesn't hit my throat so hard or does it just vary according to flavour/manufacturer? I've been looking around and have seen good things about Dekang liquid so was thinking about ordering a few 10ml bottles to try out since they're only about €3 each.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Are you taking the vapour directly in to your lungs or are you pulling it in to your mouth first and then inhaling? If it's the former than 6mg may be little on the high side for direct lung inhaling. You may be better off with 3mg.

I vape 6mg liqua juice all the time and don't find it harsh, but I take it in to my mouth first before inhaling, as you would a normal cigarette. May be the wingnuts stuff is a little harsher regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Before I made this post I was taking it directly into my lungs. After making the post I was doing more research (I'm a little obsessed at the moment) and properly read up on the difference between direct to lung inhaling and mouth to lung inhaling. I tried the mouth to lung inhaling, and used a higher wattage, and it resulted in a lot better flavour with almost none of the throat hit. Initially I hated this juice because I was getting little flavour and a harsh hit, but now I can actually taste it more and there's little to no hit because of the MTL inhaling.

I ordered a 30ml bottle of the Liqua menthol last night since I needed to stock up on atomizer heads anyway and I already knew I liked that juice, and also picked up a couple of bottles of the Dekang Cloud range of juices since they were just under €3 each for a 10ml bottle. Those have a 30/70 PG/VG ratio so I'm going to see if maybe I'd prefer a higher VG juice. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to experiment!

Thanks for the tips, TinCool, much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I've been using that wingnuts fizzy lemonade for 2 years & still using it in a iclear 30s 1.8 coil (MTL) & it is very harsh on the throat,I've had the same 30ml/18mg bottle for 2 years,I keep it in the bog,so I vape it about twice a day,that's enough,I don't want to bin it,I'm too tight :D:D:D
    Dekang is a poor mans eliquid & it was always 80PG/20VG when I bought it about 5 years ago,never tried it since.
    For a smooth vape in MTL,I use 70VG/30PG 18mg & DL would be 80VG/20PG 6mg.
    I always set my mod around 12w to 18w for MTL vaping using a 1.2 ohm to 2.0 ohm coil on any tank.

Advertisement