Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Original Blind 777

• 18-01-2017 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Looks like a chap called Blind Dave Heely completed the 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days despite being blind in 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

He was destined to go blind with a name like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Fair play to him - the logistics alone are mind boggling !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

OWinter wrote: »
    Looks like a chap called Blind Dave Heely completed the 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days despite being blind in 2008.

Was he blind just for that year?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Was he blind just for that year?

I'd imagine he was blind since birth, if he wasn't he'd be just called Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Remarkably, despite his sight loss, he went on to invent a product to baffle the middle aged in supermarkets for generations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

Sorry I can't link to the article and apologies to the chap for using his nickname but his blog is called that.

Just thought it was interesting as I see an Irish runner has been in the media lately talking about a world record attempt as first blind runner to do 777

Sir Ranulf Fiennes believes he is legit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1584959/Blind-Daves-7-day-marathon-ends-in-London.html

The Antarctic leg was in the Falklands, which I would have considered part of South America...

RayCun wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1584959/Blind-Daves-7-day-marathon-ends-in-London.html

The Antarctic leg was in the Falklands, which I would have considered part of South America...

Or Europe.....

Ran Fiennes & Mike Stroud are credited with doing the 777 also in 2003 & they did one in the Falklands. Blind Dave Heely did his in 2008. If there was any issue as to location this would surely have been raised / disputed before now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I heard the interview that she did with Tubridy, she's a remarkable individual.

Sinéad Kane will be guided by John O'Regan.

She will start her quest to complete the World Marathon Challenge of 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days next Monday(Jan 23).
    Here's the schedule:
    Day 1(Jan 23) Union Glacier,Antarctica,
    Day 2(Jan 24) Punta Arenas,Chile.
    Day 3(Jan 25) Miami,USA.
    Day 4(Jan 26) Madrid,Spain.
    Day 5(Jan 27) Marrakech,Morocco.
    Day 6(Jan 28) Dubai.
    Day 7(Jan 29) Sydney,Australia.

Follow their progress on the World Marathon Challenge Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/theworldmarathonchallenge/?fref=ts

This challenge seems to have turned into a business - a number of people doing it, chartered flights etc. Doesn't take from the magnitude of the challenge of course but it must have been so much more difficult for the original people who used commercial flights & had to organise everything themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In the original Fiennes/Stroud attempt, they were meant to go to King George Island but weather and flight issues I think scuppered that so Falklands was used as a substitute. Doesn't seem to have been any questioning of the 'record' or achievement.
    I remember reading about this years ago in Mike Stroud's ''Survival of the Fittest'' book and being fascinated and thinking I'd love to do it.
    Not a freakin chance now. How young and foolish I was. :D

Everything, even articles from 2016 calls it the ''777'' and doesn't question that there was no marathon on Antarctica or the presence of the Falklands as a continent/being part of Antarctica.

In the original Fiennes/Stroud attempt, they were meant to go to King George Island but weather and flight issues I think scuppered that so Falklands was used as a substitute. Doesn't seem to have been any questioning of the 'record' or achievement.
    I remember reading about this years ago in Mike Stroud's ''Survival of the Fittest'' book and being fascinated and thinking I'd love to do it.

Everything, even articles from 2016 calls it the ''777'' and doesn't question that there was no marathon on Antarctica or the presence of the Falklands as a continent/being part of Antarctica.

I read about it there too - loved that book

http://www.worldmarathonchallenge.com/html/7-continents/
    Clarifies here re Falklands/King George/Continent

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JsepP

How blind do you need to be to qualify as blind in these things. My grandma is legally blind but explains it as being a bit blurry. Certainly sees enough to clatter me anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

WCH that is just the definition of the organiser. As this is essentially a made up challange you could lay down any parameters and have them be true.

I am hoping to set a world record in this next year as the first Irishman to complete the whole thing in tights, not shorts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.worldmarathonchallenge.com/html/7-continents/
    Clarifies here re Falklands/King George/Continent

That seems to have been decided by the person who runs this particular challenge. The Fiennes/Stroud and Heeley attempts all came before the 'World Marathon Challenge', which according to Wikipedia began in 2015.

I'm not entirely sure the link to that website can be left here btw, given the organisers previous 'history' with boards...

So this one is just a pile of bollixology made up to suit the participants so they can say they are the first to do it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Neady83 wrote: »
    I heard the interview that she did with Tubridy, she's a remarkable individual.

That was a good interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

JsepP wrote: »
    So this one is just a pile of bollixology made up to suit the participants so they can say they are the first to do it ?

you can't say thay without weighing it all up

Is it for charidee -Check
    A great lad/girl- Check

Its a RECORD!

I am officially the first person to run 200m around the office I work in while posting here, unfortunately I'm a bollox and don't do charidee, so no official world record for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

sounds like it.

Record or no record, we have an Irish person attempting to do the 777 and what's more is she is visually impaired and a great role model to kids and adults with and without disabilities. It will be a fantastic achievement if when she pulls it off.

That seems to have been decided by the person who runs this particular challenge. The Fiennes/Stroud and Heeley attempts all came before the 'World Marathon Challenge', which according to Wikipedia began in 2015.

I'm not entirely sure the link to that website can be left here btw, given the organisers previous 'history' with boards...

Sorry not familiar with the history, feel free to delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How blind do you need to be to qualify as blind in these things. My grandma is legally blind but explains it as being a bit blurry. Certainly sees enough to clatter me anyway. :D

Anything up to 10% vision is defined as legally blind. The person in question in this thread has 5% visibility and falls comfortably into that category.

OWinter wrote: »
    WCH that is just the definition of the organiser. As this is essentially a made up challange you could lay down any parameters and have them be true.

I am hoping to set a world record in this next year as the first Irishman to complete the whole thing in tights, not shorts

Good luck.

What's the situation with the current attempt. Is that a like for like 5% vision?

Might not matter that much in fairness. That's seriously impressive no matter what way you look at it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That's seriously impressive no matter what way you look at it

Nice pun!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Nice pun!

Wasn't a deliberate one!

Advertisement