Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving between health insurers - pre existing condition

• 18-01-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Are there risks in moving between health insurance providers?

I have a long subscription with one provider, A. If I move to B and then get sick and B puts up prices or leaves Ireland will it then be difficult/ expensive to go back to A, as I would have a pre existing condition?

There may be info about this on the HIA site, but I haven't found it with a quick look.

http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switching-health-insurance-plan-provider

The HIA site references "open enrollment" and "lifetime community rating"; they sound relevant but not sure what they are yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

It's fine, once you have served your initial 5 year wait for pre-existing conditions then the time served travels with you from provider to provider.

Only thing to be conscious of after this is the upgrade rule which states that if you upgrade any element of your coverage then a pre-existing condition will continue to be treated at your previous level of cover for 2 years so be conscious to not drop to a very basic plan if you have a pre-existing condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks that is very helpful. Using 'time served HIA' I found a pdf on the HIA site confirming what you posted and giving a few other details so your post was a great help, thanks.

Advertisement