Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaking grass seed now?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I recently did some ground works around a cottage and we made a new ditch/bank across the front of the house. My question is, is it a waste of time to shake grass seed on it this time of year? I am anxious to get grass growing on it as the grass roots will help to keep the soil together.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Kiltris wrote: »
    I recently did some ground works around a cottage and we made a new ditch/bank across the front of the house. My question is, is it a waste of time to shake grass seed on it this time of year? I am anxious to get grass growing on it as the grass roots will help to keep the soil together.

Thanks in advance.

Skaking as a method of sowing will have the same success rate as any other method would have at this time of year, similarly the degree of anxiety expressed will have the same impact, i.e. little to none in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, there is not much likelyhood of grass germinating at the moment. I filled in a couple of patches a month or so ago on the basis that 'it will grow, or it will not' and it didn't. And in fact it has sprouted moss and a few weeds so will need to be resown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

A local contractor reseeding a garden close to me here at the end of October last. I thought it was a complete waste of time and seed. There is a nice healthy cover of grass on it now and will be ready to cut in March. This was a very mild winter so far though and we are on the east coast beside the sea so got no frost at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hours of daylight also affect seed germination - which is one of the reasons why you cover some seeds and not others. October is quite different to January, not to mention the possibility of a period of cold between now and March.

looksee wrote: »
    Hours of daylight also affect seed germination - which is one of the reasons why you cover some seeds and not others. October is quite different to January, not to mention the possibility of a period of cold between now and March.

Ground temperature (required for germination) is as important if not more important than hours of daylight, in October there is residual heat in the ground after the summer, that's why late September/October is widely accepted as one of the best times of year to sow a new lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In Ireland, grass begins to grow in about February.

But you need warm soil for seed germination: not before St Patrick's Day, preferably April - (best time to sow grass.)

In the meantime you could rake over the area to open the crumb structure, work in some compost or sand, etc while you wait for better conditions.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    In Ireland as is the case in the rest of the world, grass begins to grow in about February, when the ground temperature is 5 degrees celius or above.

But you need warm soil the soil temp to about 10 degrees celius for seed germination: not before St Patrick's Day, preferably April - (one of the best times to sow grass, the other being late September/early October)

In the meantime you could rake over the area to open the crumb structure, work in some compost or sand, etc while you wait for better conditions.

FYP

Advertisement