Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up after rats?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if right place to post...

Have a new house and went up into attic. The previous owner had dogs and there is signs of rats outside the house at the sheds.

At some stage he must of had them in the house, loads of rat droppings in attic, old traps etc. No sign of any dead rats but area is covered in fibre glass

I got talking to neighbour and there was issue around 2010 so not recent. No problems with rats now.

The previous owner had stupid trees running up side of house and growing into attic space. Perfect for the little rat to crawl up into house, all of this I have cleared away

I am just wondering is there a company that you could get in to clean up area? Dont really want to go at it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Suck it up and get scrubbing princess!!! ;-) I jest, I jest. Im sure any contract cleaners will quote (heavily) for it if you want to pay them enough.

Id leave it be, nature will take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    At some stage he must of had them in the house, loads of rat droppings in attic, old traps etc. No sign of any dead rats but area is covered in fibre glass

I got talking to neighbour and there was issue around 2010 so not recent. No problems with rats now.
    TBH, if the rat droppings were from 2010, I'm sure they would have decomposed by now, so maybe have a company that deals with rats come in and let you know if the problem has happened again.
    http://www.thomaspestservices.com/blog/post/how-can-you-tell-if-rodent-droppings-are-old-or-new
    • Fresh droppings are a brighter black color and moist to the touch.
    • Older droppings are often faded and will crumble become pulverized.
    • Droppings as fresh as 48 to 72 hours will start to look faded and old. The squish test can help differentiate old from new droppings.
    • Rodent droppings tend to be black, but can be brown, green or other colors. The droppings will take on the color of what they are feeding on such as rodenticide bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

the_syco wrote: »
    TBH, if the rat droppings were from 2010, I'm sure they would have decomposed by now, so maybe have a company that deals with rats come in and let you know if the problem has happened again.

Thanks, no rats up there now, I am 100% sure of that.

There is loads of it sitting on top of the insulation.

More of a concern can it still be dangerous?

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Believe me if you had rats running around up there you would hear them!

• Advertisement

Believe me if you had rats running around up there you would hear them!

I know i would, I grew up on a farm and at different times had loads of them, if they where in ceiling I would of heard them long ago....

As mentioned the main issue was trees growing up into the attic which they could crawl up and into attic space, these are all removed.

They are gone and long gone out of attic. Just wondering how to clean now, I want to bring the insulation from 200mm to 400mm......guy said yesterday just to fill it up and close off attic and not to worry about it. Dont use it as storage space and it wont affect me

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

Did you end up cleaning it up yourself? If so how did you go about doing? If not did you find someone to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

How did you clean up after the rats?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure if right place to post...

Have a new house and went up into attic. The previous owner had dogs and there is signs of rats outside the house at the sheds.

The previous owner had stupid trees running up side of house and growing into attic space. Perfect for the little rat to crawl up into house, all of this I have cleared away

I am just wondering is there a company that you could get in to clean up area? Dont really want to go at it myself.

Advertisement