Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder cost when child in Preschool

Options
  • 18-01-2017 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

May I ask if the childminder usually cost 50 Euro from 9-6, when the child start going preschool for 3 hours a day, is the hours subtracted from the full cost?

If its ourselves doing the dropping in the morning, the childminder is starting 12:00 for collecting until 18:00. Just wonder what is the norm?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

So you were paying 50 for 9 to 6 and now it's 50 for 12 to 6?

The first one sounds fair enough, the second one not so much.
    But the childminder prob sees it that if they need to be available for 12 to 6 they can't get anything to fill 9 to 12 so still need the same money.

I had a childminder who did a similar thing so we stopped using her, got one who worked on a per hour basis instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

50 Euro is very reasonable for 9-6,actually it's really cheap. Your childminder won't really be able to fill 3 hours in the morning so if you are happy with the care then I think it's fair enough. It's about minimum wage at the reduced hours, to put it in context.

Minimum wage level.
    But likely not declared so no tax and receiving some form of benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Minimum wage level.
    But likely not declared so no tax and receiving some form of benefits.

Below minimum wage at the new level, far below it at the old level. Must say I'm constantly surprised that loads of people simply want to pay the minimum possible for childcare without any other consideration, given that they're entrusting a significant portion of the child's development time to someone - surely quality should get a look in?

BTW childminders who declare their income do not need to pay tax on the first €15k or thereabouts.

Below minimum wage at the new level, far below it at the old level. Must say I'm constantly surprised that loads of people simply want to pay the minimum possible for childcare without any other consideration, given that they're entrusting a significant portion of the child's development time to someone - surely quality should get a look in?

BTW childminders who declare their income do not need to pay tax on the first €15k or thereabouts.

Of course quality comes into it, but when childminders are specifically asking you to "Say nothing to the Social" and looking for more money it puts a bad taste in your mouth.

Happened to me with more than one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mrshaha

@Diziet: true, totally agree

Advertisement