Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bye bye mike dean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Posted this in the General Premier league thread. It will be interesting to see whether he stays demoted or if it's just for one game as "punishment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ridiculous that it took that long, been poor for a long time now, of course it will feed a certain narrative too.

The most important thing though is that he has finally got some punishment, all clubs have suffered his ****e at one point or another I would wager.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its still on the TV so he can still Sky+ himself

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I haven't seen much of him lately, but I would rather he wasn't reffing the Leeds game if he's been as bad as he's been made out to be. He'll either carry on with the poor decisions or he'll go too far the other way to compensate and will allow a free for all. The Championship is a physical league, so things could be pretty ugly either way.

Reads like a slap on the wrist more than anything else
    Good to see him get a slap however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If anything it sets a welcome precedent to others that complacency, arrogance and all round **** refereeing has no place in the game.

Next up clattenberg please. Mr I'm your pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The problem isn't so much that he's been demoted (though an officiating system that deems him not adequate to referee a Premier League game but more than good enough to referee a Championship game is inherently flawed but that's a matter for a different day) the problem is that in this game he'll be officiating all eyes will be on Dean and not the 22 players on the pitch. The cult of celebrity that has developed around referees in the modern era of the game surely must be a concern to those that run the game. When you have referees who are more concerned with enhancing their celebrity status rather than maintaining the fairness and balance of the games to which they are appointed that's when you have a problem. The issue isn't just with referees, it's the media frenzy that feeds into this, that has made the likes of Mike Dean, Mark Clattenburg and Howard Webb go from anonymous upholders of the rules of football and turned them into high profile personalities with the same reach and appeal as some of the players they are officiating.

If anything it sets a welcome precedent to others that complacency, arrogance and all round **** refereeing has no place in the game.

But does it? It might say that those things aren't acceptable in the Premier League, but they're good enough for the Championship and lower leagues. If they want to properly punish a ref they need to suspend them from all games for a period and retrain them during that suspension if necessary.

Can they include Horward Webb and demote him to Eurosport

Zaph wrote: »
    But does it? It might say that those things aren't acceptable in the Premier League, but they're good enough for the Championship and lower leagues. If they want to properly punish a ref they need to suspend them from all games for a period and retrain them during that suspension if necessary.

This is fair point
    Shouldn't matter what league
    If a stupid decision effected a teams chance of PL promotion it could be equally embarrasing for the FA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I wonder will he get a Championship tattoo now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He's all ready been demoted to a trailer out the back somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Zaph wrote: »

Yea sorry you're right my elitist premier league hat was getting the better of me.

As an alternative he should be taken out if the game for a few weeks and made go "back to referee school"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Could they not just offer his services to the new super Chinese league of awesomeness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I thought it was normal to move a referee to the championship if they were getting lots of bad publicity, It's more to take the heat off them rather than a punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I always kind of feel this isn't really a punishment.
    Not only will he keep doing his usual but now teams in the Championship will have to endure it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For one match at prime time 5.30pm on Saturday live on Sky that's not really a demotion or a punishment really now is it a slap on the wrist at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Precedent?

It's not the first time this has happened.

Jon Moss, Oct 2016
    Jon Moss, who sent Granit Xhaka off for what the footballing universe generally agrees was a yellow card offence, has been demoted to League One this weekend, a common way of PGMOL punishing a ref for a mistake without admitting any liability.

Stuart Atwell, demoted for THREE YEARS
    Stuart Attwell, who was demoted from a select group of Premier League referees more than two years ago, is back in the top flight this weekend.
    The Nuneaton-based official became the youngest referee in Premier League history aged 25 when he took charge of Blackburn Rovers' game against Hull City in August 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Leeds on a great run and now they give us Mike Dean this weekend, FFS.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's a few extra points for Arsenal :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I thought you would have respect for a United legend mick :pac: Anyway knowing Mike dean he will probably be loving all this attention even if it's negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Thing is, hes not even the worse ref in the prem. There are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't really see that as a "demotion" it's style prime time on Sky. If they wanted to do it properly, drop him down to the Vanarama but again you're just shifting the problem to someone else's door.

Referee's should be stood down for repeated poor officiating though. I presume, in effect, Fifa and Uefa do this by not including them in their elite refs for tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

First Vertonghen now this! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

POKERKING wrote: »

Ya, I still maintain Jon Moss is the worst in the league and was promoted not because he was the best candidate but because they had a quota to fill.

Hes a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, I still maintain Jon Moss is the worst in the league and was promoted not because he was the best candidate but because they had a quota to fill.

Hes a shambles.

Anthony Taylor for me. I guess at least Dean is entertaining from a neutral point of view...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As already pointed out its happened before. The powers that be are doing their job.

Now love him or hate him, Dean was also doing a job like many of us around here. The big difference though is it's an incredibly high profile job and subject to very close scutiny. Ultimately someone has to do it and I don't think anyone would do that for the kudos. They go through a very long period in the lower leagues before officiating in the Premiership. The pressures when you do get to that level are incredible and I for one am grateful for all those prepared to officiate and wish Dean well in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

GavRedKing wrote: »
    POKERKING wrote: »

Hes a shambles.
    What's this about? Quota?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just gave a penalty to Leeds despite handball taking place outside the box. Utter clown.

• Advertisement

Obviously as a Leeds fan I'm delighted that the penalty was given, but really it was a shockingly bad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The ego is unraveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just gave a penalty to Leeds despite handball taking place outside the box. Utter clown.
    Was it Dean, or his linesman, who gave it? Whatever, it was a shocking decision. It wasn't even borderline, it was nearly a yard outside the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

blueser wrote: »
    Was it Dean, or his linesman, who gave it? Whatever, it was a shocking decision. It wasn't even borderline, it was nearly a yard outside the area.

I thought he signaled linesman gave it. Yet again centre of attention for wrong reasons.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

saw this earlier. good lord. Its one of those things of
    - "oh Mike, can't you go 5 seconds without humiliating yourself?"
    Mike -
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Still had to make sure he got some headlines today eh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He has caused enough mayhem in the Championship before, we don't want him. National League is too good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I find it hard to believe he was the one that gave that. Had to be the linesman.

Don't like this character assassination at all. It's bad for the game and disencourages refs to give big decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Welcome back Mike Dean

That shìt show in the Championship results in him getting a promotion back to the Premier League to ref the Burnley game next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That showed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Don't like this character assassination at all. It's bad for the game and disencourages refs to give big decisions

Criticism and review of referee decisions happens in all level of the sport. There are assessors in Ireland who promote and demote based on performance all the time right down to schoolboy level. Criticising his poor decisions, which are all to frequent, is something that is needed to improve standards.

Some of his decisions have been shocking and although I didn't agree with people in the past who said he likes being centre of attention, the longer he keeps screwing up the longer he will be stuck with the tag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement