Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Hi folks my sonoff th10 indicates temp and humidity and works fine in manual but when I put it in auto stays on all the time no matter what temp setting.
    Any ideas please.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

air wrote: »
    The shopping list looks fine but to be honest if you only want a time schedule you only need a single basic sonoff (plus a contactor by my own preference).

Installed that today and it's working. Schedule set up. Thanks for the advice.

So I set the th10 temp range closer together al low 17 and hi 18 and it went on and off in auto.
    I think the little temp sensor is unreliable.
    All the basic sonoff switches I have are working fine.
    I am more used to thermocouples so I suppose I'll have to be patient with an rdt.

I have a dual heated towel radiator quite a large one in the bathroom and would like to add one of these switches to it. Would I need a contactor or is there a switch that would do it alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭davegilly

The TH16 could probably do it, I was going to use it for my immersion but after a bit of thought I think a sonoff triggered relay is probably the safer option.

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    The TH16 could probably do it, I was going to use it for my immersion but after a bit of thought I think a sonoff triggered relay is probably the safer option.

As an electrician I would recommend the relay and fuse for the Immersion and the towel rail.
    The immersion uses just under 13 amps and the th16 is what 16 amps I would still prefer a quality familiar brand.

antietam1 wrote: »
    As an electrician I would recommend the relay and fuse for the Immersion and the towel rail.
    The immersion uses just under 13 amps and the th16 is what 16 amps I would still prefer a quality familiar brand.

There is a fused switch on the towel rail at the moment in the hot press as per pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Why not snip it and see what happens you could always solder it back if the circuit needs it. if you want a felt marker will obscure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Is the Ewelink skill not on alexa skill store anymore???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Why not snip it and see what happens you could always solder it back if the circuit needs it. if you want a felt marker will obscure it.

i'm curious as to why you would want to remove it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Is the Ewelink skill not on alexa skill store anymore???

Should still be there , I just asked Alexa to turn on the heating

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

durtybit wrote:
    Should still be there , I just asked Alexa to turn on the heating

I don't have it yet but get no results when I search ewelink in skill store

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I stick a bit of electrical tape over any such LEDs that annoy me (some USB chargers in our house). Available in a variety of colours to match the device.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Note: Our UK Alexa skill is expired, so we re-submitted our skill to extend the validity today. It may take about 3 days to pass Amazon's checking. We are sorry for any inconvenience this brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Note: Our UK Alexa skill is expired, so we re-submitted our skill to extend the validity today. It may take about 3 days to pass Amazon's checking. We are sorry for any inconvenience this brings.

Seems to only be for new installs so if it's already there then it won't affect your

My th10 is only working with wifi, in other words when out and about it says operation failed when I try to switch on.
    Do I need to reinstall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

My th10 is only working with wifi, in other words when out and about it says operation failed when I try to switch on.
    Do I need to reinstall?

Does it say "Offline" in the app? My TH16 works ok when I'm away from the WiFi.

Gulliver wrote: »
    Does it say "Offline" in the app? My TH16 works ok when I'm away from the WiFi.
    As far as I can see it just says operation failed, will try it again later.
    Checked again, network not available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭corkscott

does anyone know can you have a sonoff connected to 2 different mobiles with ewelink app.
    So both myself and my wife can turn on the sonoff via the app on our own mobile while out of the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

corkscott wrote: »
    does anyone know can you have a sonoff connected to 2 different mobiles with ewelink app.
    So both myself and my wife can turn on the sonoff via the app on our own mobile while out of the house?

Of course, you just share the device. It's a basic function of the app.
    Note the 2nd person realistically needs to have the app open when you share it as the invitation will time out otherwise.

That's been resolved for over a month now

Ok so I should just reinstall?

Ok so I should just reinstall?

Try deleting the device and add it back. With the newest version of the app it takes seconds. It should resolve any issues.

Fitted a 4 channel Sonoff at the weekend in parallel with my existing timer for the boiler controlling 3 heating zones and the hot water. 3 touch light switches and 2 sonoff one channel units all working great. I have another 4 sonoffs on the way. Has anyone ordered the Smart Bulbs? Are they any good I am scared that they would get damaged in transport over from China.
      https://www.banggood.com/Sonoff-B1-E27-6W-RGB-Dimmable-Wifi-LED-Smart-Light-BulbWork-With-Alexa-AC90-265V-p-1198029.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I've a b1, they're very very dim, especially in color mode. Too dim to be any use really.
    It's only 6w. Not sure what to do with mine for now, will reflash it and see if it's any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

kenmc wrote: »
    I've a b1, they're very very dim, especially in color mode. Too dim to be any use really.
    It's only 6w. Not sure what to do with mine for now, will reflash it and see if it's any better

I found the same with the colours but it is grand as a light when set to cool white or similar, it does depend on the lamp shade i suppose i know it wouldn't be any good with the lamp shade that we have in the sitting room.They are handy for hallway lights as that wouldn't require major light.

• Advertisement

tweek84 wrote: »
    I found the same with the colours but it is grand as a light when set to cool white or similar, it does depend on the lamp shade i suppose i know it wouldn't be any good with the lamp shade that we have in the sitting room.They are handy for hallway lights as that wouldn't require major light.

I suppose I'm comparing it to my Ikea light in the hall, which is brighter even in warm mode than this b1. Certainly not useful as a main reading light I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Yeah cannot see any devices since about 10 this morning

I have been trying to connect 5 devices to my new router that arrived today with no luck servers must be down 😧

• Advertisement

My missus was in the dark. Had to tell her how to turn them on🀓 not happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Says upgrading servers on the app.

Please wait one or two hours :D

It's Chinese New Year... Who is updating the servers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Im on the process of buying kit for electric gates. Im wondering if i should go for intercom/keypad system or try implement sonoff into the kit.
    How can sonoff be added to electric gate kit. Gates are about 30m from house.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GryKyo

lochdara wrote: »
    Im on the process of buying kit for electric gates. Im wondering if i should go for intercom/keypad system or try implement sonoff into the kit.
    How can sonoff be added to electric gate kit. Gates are about 30m from house.

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/inching-self-locking-wifi-wireless-switch.html

This will work as it can be powered off the 12v you will have down at the gates. A button selects the mode, for the gates you need a pulse from the relay to trigger the gate. You can use the eWeLink app to control the gate. Super to add on to an existing setup with keypad etc.
    That said I have done a couple of automated gates and prefer the GSM phone dialler type of gate controller. Yes, you do need to pay for rental of a data only SIM but these allow you to share and unshare access to a bunch of mobile phones you are happy to let operate your gates such as family/friends etc. Just more flexible IMO.

HTH

Garry

SO they works by 12v which would not be a problem and wifi.. i would need to test if i can get wifi signal out there. So would i still need a keypad.

Have u ever installed a solar power module to gates.

• Advertisement

Still only working on wifi for me, would be interested in the 12 volt ones if I can get them working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lochdara wrote:
    SO they works by 12v which would not be a problem and wifi.. i would need to test if i can get wifi signal out there. So would i still need a keypad.

Is there a button in the house that opens the gate

You could have the connections here.

That's how it did mine

Looking at the videos online i can use the 4 ch pro from sonoff and use that in the house and run the wires out to the gate.. or put the sonoff in the garage with a wifi booster on there.

I think i can use 1 relay to open and 1 to close. Someone might confirm that. Use a fob or alexa to do the activation.
    I dont think i need an intercom/keypad, not too many people need access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

corkscott wrote: »
    Fitted a 4 channel Sonoff at the weekend in parallel with my existing timer for the boiler controlling 3 heating zones and the hot water. 3 touch light switches and 2 sonoff one channel units all working great. I have another 4 sonoffs on the way. Has anyone ordered the Smart Bulbs? Are they any good I am scared that they would get damaged in transport over from China.
      https://www.banggood.com/Sonoff-B1-E27-6W-RGB-Dimmable-Wifi-LED-Smart-Light-BulbWork-With-Alexa-AC90-265V-p-1198029.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I was looking at that but then saw this online

"Sonoff T1 UK: 1-3 Gang WiFi & RF 86 Type Smart Wall Touch Light Switch"

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-t1.html

I want to set up automation in my mother's house for lights inside and out.
    I know I can change the bulbs but with various fittings not all bulbs available

Which would you guys recommend.

Bulbs vs Light Switch

I have installed the Sonoff smart plugs for lamps etc and they work great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I was looking at that but then saw this online

"Sonoff T1 UK: 1-3 Gang WiFi & RF 86 Type Smart Wall Touch Light Switch"

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-t1.html

I want to set up automation in my mother's house for lights inside and out.
    I know I can change the bulbs but with various fittings not all bulbs available

Which would you guys recommend.

Bulbs vs Light Switch

I have installed the Sonoff smart plugs for lamps etc and they work great

I have those switches around the house and they are great. If you're putting them in for someone that's not too tech savvy then go with the switch, they can still turn them on and off with no bother should the automation fail without fiddling with the manual switch on the regular Sonoffs.

The downside with smart bulbs for me is that I know someone will end up turning off the wall switch at some point rendering the bulb useless.

I have those switches around the house and they are great. If you're putting them in for someone that's not too tech savvy then go with the switch, they can still turn them on and off with no bother should the automation fail without fiddling with the manual switch on the regular Sonoffs.

The downside with smart bulbs for me is that I know someone will end up turning off the wall switch at some point rendering the bulb useless.

Thanks for that help.

Yeah, my mother can still use the manual switch as well as the app on her phone.

Is there any other potential issues regarding the install.

Saw one example is she has a 3-way switch in the hallway for (outdoor lights, hall, landing light)

Would I put a 3-way replacement down in the hall and a 2-way replacement in the landing (replacing the current 2 way in the landing)

I have read about potential issues with neutral wires not being present in some houses.

I agree regarding the bulbs yeah

TLDR: Should I get an electrician to fit or would they be manageable for a regular person who is a bit tech savvy :)

Just out of interest what functions do the wall switches have?
    Timing/scheduling, switching, does it control dimming?
    I found every now and again that the sonoff equipment used to go off line and need the power turned off and on, does touching the light switch do this or does the power need to be turned off going to the switch?

I had that problem with the light bulb being turned off now it is intermittent, it a slow process but she is almost trained now i had contemplated getting a shock collar but it wouldn't have looked appropriate if someone visited :D:D

Thanks for that help.

Yeah, my mother can still use the manual switch as well as the app on her phone.

Saw one example is she has a 3-way switch in the hallway for (outdoor lights, hall, landing light)

Would I put a 3-way replacement down in the hall and a 2-way replacement in the landing (replacing the current 2 way in the landing)

I have read about potential issues with neutral wires not being present in some houses.

TLDR: Should I get an electrician to fit or would they be manageable for a regular person who is a bit tech savvy :)

Theoretically it is possible once you have or can get neutrals to the light switches, i done up a 'ROUGH' sketch on what way i think your wiring for the switches is done based on what you have said, it might change once if you open the switches and post up pics but see attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Thanks for that help.

For my house it was just a straight changeover to the new switch (there were already neutral wires & you will need these). I fitted single, double and triple myself with no issues. It is worth noting that I changed the firmware to Tasmota and run it with my own server as opposed to Iteads, which allowed me to set up some rules to handle a single light having multiple switches, IE both ends of the hall.
    tweek84 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what functions do the wall switches have?
    Timing/scheduling, switching, does it control dimming?
    I found every now and again that the sonoff equipment used to go off line and need the power turned off and on, does touching the light switch do this or does the power need to be turned off going to the switch?

I had that problem with the light bulb being turned off now it is intermittent, it a slow process but she is almost trained now i had contemplated getting a shock collar but it wouldn't have looked appropriate if someone visited :D:D

You can use timing/scheduling and switching no prob. AFAIK dimming is not supported, but I haven't tried it. Never had an issue with the switch going offline, but I did have some delayed responses when the wireless network was under pressure. In the end I set up a dedicated access point for all the Home Automation kit which has been working flawlessly.

For my house it was just a straight changeover to the new switch (there were already neutral wires & you will need these). I fitted single, double and triple myself with no issues. It is worth noting that I changed the firmware to Tasmota and run it with my own server as opposed to Iteads, which allowed me to set up some rules to handle a single light having multiple switches, IE both ends of the hall.

You can use timing/scheduling and switching no prob. AFAIK dimming is not supported, but I haven't tried it. Never had an issue with the switch going offline, but I did have some delayed responses when the wireless network was under pressure. In the end I set up a dedicated access point for all the Home Automation kit which has been working flawlessly.

I think I’m screwed . The house is about 25 years old. I opened one of the light switches and it just has black and red wires (attached pic) and no neutral. Would it be a big issue to get neutrals fitted ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement