Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water hardness in Cork

Options
  • 18-01-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Does someone know what is the water hardness in Cork city.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

as far as i know it depends on area's. would love to actually test it somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mild to moderate, mostly mild. Nothing like the hardness level about an hour North in the Golden Vale.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Got our water tested, total hardness of 21.5 mg/L.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pet2

Do you think that in St.Lukes it should be the same figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

pet2 wrote: »
    Do you think that in St.Lukes it should be the same figure?

Head over to the Irish water home page and stick your address into the water quality box. Should be able to get result

You're off the Lee, so it shouldn't be too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pet2

Reply from Irish water, states that water in Cork is rather hard:

The main water supply in the greater Cork City area is classed as hard to very hard water. The range of CaCO3 dissolved in this water is 251 - 350 mg/LCaCO3. The total dissolved and suspended solids varies widely between locations and environmental factors also have an effect on the quantity.

How to transfer value in mg/L to dE , dH or dF that dishwasher manufacturer manual refers?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In my plumbing days i worked all over cork city in almost every suburb and city centre area. In all that time i never once had a call out or job that was related on water hardness. I have removed electric immersions 10 or 15 years old, that had no sign of limescale or similar.

Water in Cork City & immediate subarbs is not particualrly hard, there will be no issue with equipment such as dishwashers etc.

However travel a few km outside of cork city where people are on their own well supply and i have tackled issues from water being cupro-solvent, soft, hard, e-coli issues etc.

In my plumbing days i worked all over cork city in almost every suburb and city centre area. In all that time i never once had a call out or job that was related on water hardness. I have removed electric immersions 10 or 15 years old, that had no sign of limescale or similar.

Water in Cork City & immediate subarbs is not particualrly hard, there will be no issue with equipment such as dishwashers etc.

However travel a few km outside of cork city where people are on their own well supply and i have tackled issues from water being cupro-solvent, soft, hard, e-coli issues etc.

interesting
    from my school science days i thought water hardness was a geological function, with limestone areas being worse. The lee is predominantly drained draining mudstone and granite is it not, so should not be hard. rivers are generally not as hard as ground water?
    Would like a look at those IW figures.

[Deleted by Mod]

Dude. Make up your mind.
    Were the results clear or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

If you contact Irish water, they will direct to the correct department. I emailed the Inniscarra Lab and they replied quickly. The water reading is very soft: 7fH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Dude. Make up your mind.
    Were the results clear or not?

I'm sure his company will provide comprehensive results

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement