Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you love to eat right now?

Options
  • 18-01-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭

We have lots of threads on what people are cooking and have eaten, so I thought we need one for the dreamers.

If effort, availability and cost of ingredients, calorie count and preferences of your OH and/or children were no obstacle, what would you like to dig into right now?

Me, I'd love some breadfruit chips. I had them once when a friend from the Seychelles brought them back, they're chip-shaped but crisp-textured, fatty beyond believe and to me at least unbelievably tasty.

Alternatively, white asparagus salad just like my gran used to make.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I buy these fish cakes from a butchers and I love them so much. They are just lovely and made just right. I would love some now or even tonight for dinner.

I dont get them too often because the butcher shop that makes them is a bit out of my way. This thread is making me think that I need to go there at the weekend though and pick some up. :)

I will try to learn how to make some myself but I'm a really bad cook. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'd love the parmesan fries from Fade St Social.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd love a burger just like one I had on a trip to New York years ago, at a Jewish deli/restaurant near Columbus Circle. The name escapes me but is irrelevant anyway as the place has long since closed down (there was an air of mystery around the closure at the time!) but the burger was amazing: a big, juicy beef burger cooked medium, with pastrami, one or two other meat elements including some kind of bacon, Swiss cheese, pickles, great sauce, in a fab brioche style bun, all served with chili fries of some kind - I was incredibly hungover the day I had it, as were my two companions who watched in horror as I demolished the lot. Not one hangover symptom after eating it either - the best cure ever!
    Yeah my mouth is watering now just thinking of it about 5 years later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just watched Rick Stein in Palermo and would kill for some crispy canolli!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'd love the chocolate cake I had a few years ago in a pub in Wicklow.
    It was delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

A bowl of deep fried fresh scampi with tartar sauce, sitting in the sun, with a sea breeze on my face and drinking ice cold beer.

I'm still in work and had an apple.

*throws up rope*

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

A big wedge of Yorkshire lardy cake. If you have never tried it, the name makes it sound gross, but it is a rich, sugary, moist, enriched dough made by angels and is heaven with a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My gran's poppycake, my mam and myself make it but it's never, ever a patch on what hers was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Just watched Rick Stein in Palermo and would kill for some crispy canolli!

The state of the rest of the stuff though! He loves mad seafood.

I would love a massive mug of tea and a slice of proper red velvet cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pistacchio ice cream.
    When I was a teenager, I spent a week in Munich with my best friend at her auntie's. The three of us had a tub of pistacchio ice cream and a bottle of Nymphenburg sparkling wine every evening. First time I watched Alien, too :D

Since then, that's my idea of indulgence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Burdock's chips from Christchurch as they were ~25 years ago, with free crispy bits (think they started charging at one stage and might be done away with them now). Used to be able to get a nice cold pint of cold milk with them too -at the price a pint of branded milk would have been in a supermarket.

You could unwrap and put your own salt & vinegar on too, not sure if you can still at least do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Dampfnudeln with vanilla sauce - proper German comfort food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A beautiful, yellow, sweet, soft ripe mango.
    I bought some amazing ones last year from a Pakistani shop, the owner told me they're only this ripe for a short period each year and he can only get hold of a few each year. I bought a box of 5, and after trying the first ate the whole lot in one go. He hadn't any left when I came back the week after.
    I'd love one right now.

My grannys mashed potatoes. They just had a different taste or something. I thought it might be because she used real butter to mash them but I tried that and they still don't taste the way she made them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

A spice bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

Spicy fish pie with potatoes. Should be ready in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feck you thread.
    Just after ordering a Special Chow Mein.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Nonsense post deleted :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Space Dog wrote: »
    Dampfnudeln with vanilla sauce - proper German comfort food...

This!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pork gyoza or similar such dumplings. Fried crispy on one side, steamed to chewy delight on the other. I always want dumplings.

I'm meeting my parents tomorrow afternoon to go to a little restaurant near me that I love.

They have some really nice things on the menu but I always get the fish and chips. I kind of wish tomorrow was today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

a double cheeseburger from Bunsen, medium

i'm half thinking of driving to Dublin for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

a double cheeseburger from Bunsen, medium

i'm half thinking of driving to Dublin for it...

Had my first one yesterday evening -it was delish

For me
    Agnolotti of parmesan, veal shank, crown prince pumpkin, gremolata from Forest Avenue -genuinely one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Cake , a serious amount of cake , had a dream the other night about tasting wedding cakes with my OH (actually doing that in 3 weeks time) and have been hanging for Brownies , Cheescake , Lemon Drizzle , Oreo Chocolate biscuit, the works since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Anything from The Smoke Pit in Northampton.
    Pizza from The Dough Bros in Galway.

Food is to die for in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tree wrote: »
    Pork gyoza or similar such dumplings. Fried crispy on one side, steamed to chewy delight on the other. I always want dumplings.

I was about to say pot sticker dumplings. I have a recipe for them, and I have some minced pork, but they're a bit of effort, and I don't think I have the rest of the ingredients. Made them once before and made a huge mess, but they were fab.
    Corvo wrote: »
    A bowl of deep fried fresh scampi with tartar sauce, sitting in the sun, with a sea breeze on my face and drinking ice cold beer.

I'm still in work and had an apple.

*throws up rope*

The Island Gate near Little Island used have the best scampi in the entire world (or all the bits of it I've been to). Haven't been there in years, but occasionally dream about them.

I'm not usually a fan of icecream, but right now I'd love a Death By Chocolate from Ginos, which I haven't had in about 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

A burger, greasy, in a sesame seed bun.
    Nothing fancy, a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder would do the job.
    But with Supermacs chips, the Maccy D's ones are awful.

Also have a weird craving for a Yorkshire pudding today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 July_happygirl

My favorite snack - garlic rosemary mushrooms. Easy to cook, healthy and quick:
    Ingredients
    1 pound whole white mushrooms
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, parsley and thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried herbs (you could use dried Italian seasoning for this)
    Instructions on how to cook
    Melt butter in a medium-large skillet. Add garlic and stir.
    Add mushrooms and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes until tender.
    Sprinkle with the herbs (if using dried make sure you stir a bit to get them mixed into the buttery sauce) and serve hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My favorite snack - garlic rosemary mushrooms. Easy to cook, healthy and quick:
    Ingredients
    1 pound whole white mushrooms
    3 tablespoons butter

I need my eyes tested. I read it as a pound of butter and 3 tablespoons of mushrooms. I was thinking it sounded delicious, but not that healthy :D

Advertisement