Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-employment after redundancy

Options
  • 18-01-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I was made redundant 7 years ago from my job. I came back to work for the same company 5 years ago and am still here but they have me down as working here through an agency. Is there anything stopping this company giving me a contract again? They say its 'Company Policy' not to re-employ staff who were made redundant but I have heard that there is no law and that they can do it... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Apol123

Hi all, I was made redundant 7 years ago from my job. I came back to work for the same company 5 years ago and am still here but they have me down as working here through an agency. Is there anything stopping this company giving me a contract again? They say its 'Company Policy' not to re-employ staff who were made redundant but I have heard that there is no law and that they can do it... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Is it public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

They never said it was a law, they said it was company policy..you cant change their company policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is no law.

But many companies have "no rehires with N month" policies - which are not illegal at all.

Eg HP used to have a policy of no re-hires ever. They changed it to none with 9 months a while back.

The way lots of companies get around their policies is to hire you through an agency. You may be on site for their client (maybe even at the same desk you had before!) but it's ok because you are not an employee.

dar100 wrote: »
    Is it public sector

Yes it's public sector

• Advertisement

Apol123 wrote: »
    Yes it's public sector

It's def policy, however, there could be some act in there too! I vaguely remember something, and at one stage these was a piece on it on application forms when applying for PS positions!!

Are your terms and conditions the same as before?

It's def policy, however, there could be some act in there too! I vaguely remember something, and at one stage these was a piece on it on application forms when applying for PS positions!!

Yes, everything is the same.

I know that some companies have policies for a year or so but I asked for the company handbook but was never given it. I'm back in the same area that I worked before doing the same job for the last 5 years. I can't even apply for a different positions within the company due to this...

Yes, everything is the same.

My understanding is that people were giving a lump some when been made redundant, therefore hiring them back on the same contract in a year or two looks bad... So I assume you got a lump some and then hired back, however, this time it went through a middle man so to speak?

My understanding is that people were giving a lump some when been made redundant, therefore hiring them back on the same contract in a year or two looks bad... So I assume you got a lump some and then hired back, however, this time it went through a middle man so to speak?

Yes exactly, so I'm nowhere to be found on there books so to speak as I'm not employed by the company, I'm here on a contract through an agency. Even any other role within the company I cant apply for because of this.

• Advertisement

Yes exactly, so I'm nowhere to be found on there books so to speak as I'm not employed by the company, I'm here on a contract through an agency. Even any other role within the company I cant apply for because of this.

They won't change it, and tbf your not losing out on anything ?

Advertisement