Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What coffee would you drink if you never drank coffee in your life

• 18-01-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of trying to drink coffee. But as a 40 year old, I have never, ever, drank a cup of coffee. I took a very tiny sip from a cup about 15 years ago I think, but that's it*.

What would you start with, in terms of brand and type, if you were trying to convert a non-coffee drinker to coffee? Definitely nothing with sugar** in it, and preferably no milk either...if I'm going to try coffee, I may as well do it properly.

Also, genuine question, is coffee considered healthy this week?

* I don't drink tea either, but that's a different story - I don't dislike it, but I'd say I drink a cup about once a year in social situations where it might be just awkward or rude to refuse it.

** Do people put sugar in coffee? I'm not joking, that's how little I know about coffee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'd recommend going into somewhere like Coffee Angel or 3fe and getting a flat white (steamed milk + espresso) and a filter coffee (The Ambela in Coffee Angel is fantastic at the moment, as is their own blend espresso in a flat white).
    They're both very different drinks, but probably the easiest to begin with. Let the filter cool a bit, if its just a bit warmer than your lips its about the right temp and the flavours start coming though. The flat white shouldn't change too much as it cools, but the milk froth will start to settle and won't have the same texture.
    If you're feeling comfortable with the, try espresso and americano/long blacks which are an espresso topped up with hot water. Usually they'll taste better without milk.
    And don't be afraid to tell them you know nothing about coffee! The staff are usually very helpful and will talk you through things a bit.

Black coffee only has a calorie or so, and is generally good to drink one or two a day. It can help prevent Alzheimer's etc. But like anything we'll probably find something wrong with it.

People usually put sugar in bad coffee to help get rid of the taste of stale/over roasted beans which will have a more bitter taste.
    Good coffee won't need sugar, but its all down to preference. If you can avoid it from the start you won't need it and will find it ruins the flavour of good coffees.

If a coffee says it has 'flavours' don't expect it to taste exactly the same as that item. e.g if it has apple listed, you're probably going to get the flavours of the acidity you'd get from an apple. Strawberry might be the sweet aftertaste you get from eating a strawberry rather than the strawberry itself.
    As you drink more you'll start to notice the subtleties, but don't expect to be able to do so from the start, you need to train your palate to taste them.

A biscuit can be good to have with black coffee too to make it a little less bitter. The salt in them blocks the receptors in your tongue that tastes bitterness and should sweeten the coffee up and enhance the flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I second the other poster with Coffee Angel. I have friends who hated coffee, who didnt actually hate coffee. They just tasted poor quality coffee before. When they tried Coffee Angel, they just could not get over how good the coffee was.

I honestly can't count how many times I have been to Coffee Angel and I have yet to get a bad coffee. But I have a feeling at this stage I might never have one as they are consistently good. I have been to other Cafes in Dublin, where people rave about the coffee and despite going there a dozen times. I have yet to have a decent coffee.

I would try a flat white. They are a milky coffee, but the flavour of the coffee isnt over powered by the milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Nice, thanks - I'll give Coffee Angel a shot next time I'm near one of their stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Good call on Coffee Angel - their espresso bean is just wonderful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 hungrydublinco

One of the things that life taught me is that you should always try new things and it's never too late to do that. Since you are looking for a coffee with no added sugar or milk, how about an Americano? It is a shot of espresso with boiled water. It tastes really good.
    They are available at any coffee shops.

I hop you'll enjoy.

HungryinDublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Get a half double decaffeinated half caff (with a twist of lemon, optional) - it'll blow your mind and taste buds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Keyzer wrote: »
    Get a half double decaffeinated half caff (with a twist of lemon, optional) - it'll blow your mind and taste buds...

Or this

The Double Ristretto Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Decaf Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Frappuccino Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, One Sweet'N Low and One Nutrasweet, and Ice

Advertisement